Arella Mae

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 06:45 pm
Thank you ehBeth. Johnny is home now so I am feeling a bit better. He is going to the Sheriff's tomorrow to do his statement and he'll find out how long this guy is going to be in jail. I'll probably be okay as long as I know he's in jail.

Thomas, honestly, I could not agree with you more! The thought of me even pointing a gun at someone goes totally against everything in me. Now, could I do it to protect my animals, probably. I am going to talk to Johnny about this.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:07 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I'm sorry you're going through this, Arella!

Arella Mae wrote:
Johnny is carrying the .357 and I'm carrying the .32. I hate to do that! The only thing I have ever really used a gun for was to chase away dogs from my cats by shooting it in the air. But, Johnny says he wants me to carry it with me for my safety.

Do you know how to target and shoot a gun? Are you prepared to actually use it against a human? If your answer to any of these questions is "no", the mere carrying of a gun won't make you any safer, and I think you should discard your husband's advice to carry it.
Just follow in the footsteps of Freckles n Tippy, per Thomas' advice,
because Neighbor is so merciful that u shoud not expose him to any POSSIBLE danger.

David
msolga

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It has nothing whatsoever to do with neighbour being "merciful" or not, David, or exposing him to possible danger.
It has everything to do with an appropriate response to neighbour's irrational & cruel act. Or maybe 2 acts, if he also killed Arella's other dog which went missing.
If Arella is uncomfortable with handling guns & has serious reservations about using them against another human being, then I can fully understand that. I would feel exactly the same.
Clearly there is something very wrong with neighbour, for him to do what he has done. He is dangerous.
Using a gun against him is not going to help matters at all. Not from Arella's point of view.
He needs to be removed from the neighbourhood, because he is a danger. He needs to be treated for his "condition" whatever it is, before he is let loose on innocent people & their animals again.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:27 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Thank you ehBeth. Johnny is home now so I am feeling a bit better. He is going to the Sheriff's tomorrow to do his statement and he'll find out how long this guy is going to be in jail. I'll probably be okay as long as I know he's in jail.

Thomas, honestly, I could not agree with you more! The thought of me even pointing a gun at someone goes totally against everything in me. Now, could I do it to protect my animals, probably.

I am going to talk to Johnny about this.
It is important
that your discussions include the effective STOPPING POWER of a .32, such as it may be.

Find a competent defensive gunfire instructor
and get in as much practice as u can.
I suggest that u stay away from automatics:
thay are too complex and thay JAM UP too much. Revolvers are reliable.
U might consider .45 Long Colt ammunition in HOLLOWPOINTED bullets
to promote expansion inside the target. This has soft, gentle recoil; get plenty of practice. Its fun.

David
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:44 am
Horrified to read about what happened, Arella Mae. And frightened for you.

I'm hoping this man is behind bars for a long time. It's terrible to live in fear.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 02:12 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
It has nothing whatsoever to do with neighbour being "merciful" or not, David,
Thomas' advice has to do with misplaced mercy, Olga.

msolga wrote:
or exposing him to possible danger.
It has everything to do with an appropriate response to neighbour's irrational & cruel act.
Or maybe 2 acts, if he also killed Arella's other dog which went missing.
It also has to do with future self defense.

msolga wrote:
If Arella is uncomfortable with handling guns & has serious reservations about using them against another human being,
then I can fully understand that.
HOW MUCH will it help that u "fully understand" if the Neighbor returns in malice ????????

msolga wrote:
I would feel exactly the same.
Clearly there is something very wrong with neighbour,
for him to do what he has done. He is dangerous.
U think, maybe ?

msolga wrote:
Using a gun against him is not going to help matters at all.
What is the purpose of weapons ?????????

msolga wrote:
Not from Arella's point of view.
If she operates her weapons correctly, she will continue to HAVE a "point of view".
Does Freckles still have one ?

msolga wrote:
He needs to be removed from the neighbourhood, because he is a danger.
That is what everyone in THE NEIGHBORHOOD needs, not what HE needs.

msolga wrote:
He needs to be treated for his "condition" whatever it is,
before he is let loose on innocent people & their animals again.
Tho admittedly, I have not attended medical school,
I have a hunch that "his condition" can be treated by encephalectomy,
accomplished by a few rounds of softpointed or hollowpointed .45 Long Colt
administered to the intracranial cavity, restoring peace and harmony back into the neighborhood, including all of its fauna.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 02:21 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella,
your post said that u have not spoken to the man.
It is not clear whether u have ever seen him
nor whether u can RECOGNIZE him.

If not, then u need a picture of him for your future potential defense.

David
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thomas said absolutely nothing about misplaced mercy that I could see, David.
I've already said pretty much everything I wanted to say, which was agreeing with Arella & Thomas.
Guns are not the answer to the problem. Having the neighbour dealt with by the law & the health authorities is the best solution I can see in response to this awful situation.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:32 am
@Arella Mae,
Chances are, if he is released, your house is probably the last place he'll go. He knows that's what is expected of him and what the consequences will be. If he's going to lash out again it'll probably be directed elsewhere.

I'm sorry, but I can't see any reasons why anyone firing an illegal weapon should ever be released before trial. It wouldn't happen over here. If I were you I'd take some legal advice, see if you can get this idiot remanded in custody or take out some form of injunction. Is it possible to get some form of panic button fitted to go straight through to the police if he's released.

If, like you said, he doesn't know you, it's probably not personal and he should stay away. Make sure you've got some good locks just to be safe.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 05:04 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Make sure you've got some good locks just to be safe.

LOL!

Locks stop violent armed felons... I didn't know that.

Lock your doors, call the cops, hide and wait, and wait and wait... great plan.
Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 06:45 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Using a gun against him is not going to help matters at all. Not from Arella's point of view.

My concern actually was that Arella isn't ready to use the gun, but carries it anyway. The last thing we want is this creep ending up with her .32 in his hands. And the second-to-last thing we want is that Arella go to jail for killing a human to protect an animal. (Shooting a human in self-defense is legal; shooting him in defense of an animal is not.)

Has Arella taken an NRA course in armed self-defense? Is she mentally prepared to to shoot her gun into the right body parts of the guy at the right time? If so, there would be no problem with her carrying it. But my sense is that she doesn't have any training, and that she doesn't know when to shoot a human and how. That's why she shouldn't carry a gun in my opinion.

But enough about my opinion. Arella, are there any new developments?
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 07:55 am
I got no sleep again last night and I have a pounding headache. The dogs didn't even bark once all night so there was nothing out there for me to fear. I think I am afraid because of the absolute insanity of this situation. I have waved to this man when we have passed on the road or he was getting his mail so in a sense I am a bit familiar with him.

I talked to Johnny about me carrying a gun. I just can't do it. I know how to point and shoot but I don't feel safe with a gun in my hands as my defense. I'd probably shoot myself in the foot or something. Johnny is going to have me take some course for gun safety and then he'll take me to do practice. It takes all of my might and both hands to shoot that .357 revolver and I can't hit anything with it so a gun for me right now is out of the question.

He is going to the Sheriff's office this morning and give his statement. I told him to be sure he got a copy of it. Johnny isn't scared at all. He's seriously wanting to tear this guy up. Our animals mean as much to him as they do me. He is the one that makes sure there is always plenty of food for them and never once blinked at the size of any vet bill.

I miss Freckles. Every night since he learned he could howl he would be out there at about 3:00am howling at something. He would stand there while Justice, my paint horse, would eat and just howl and howl. I never knew why. He was a sweet dog and wouldn't have hurt anyone.

I'll let you know what happened at the Sheriff's Office when Johnny calls me.

This is Freckles the day I brought him home. He and two other puppies were in the ditch near the plant where I work. A girl in the office took the other two. I don't have any pictures of him grown on my facebook to copy while here at work but I know I have some on my old hard drive. I'll have to find one.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9462/freckles.jpg
Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 08:06 am
@Arella Mae,
Awwww! What a cutie.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 08:11 am
@Arella Mae,
How very tragic and scary for you, Arella. I'm glad (if that's the right word) that you've decided against carrying a gun for the time being, at least.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 08:37 am
I cannot begin to describe how I feel right now. He is NOT in jail! They let him out! He has only been charged with aggravated cruelty to an animal. He can walk up to my property and shoot my animals?????????

It will probably be next month before it goes to court. My husband called and told me. I just got off the phone with the Sheriff's Office. They said they will do frequent drive bys. They said we should get a restraining order. Johnny says don't be upset, he'll take care of it. I'm numb.
Roberta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 08:43 am
@Arella Mae,
I'm muttering many dirty words, Arella Mae. Many.

Frightening. Infuriating.

People with guns. A nutcase shooting defenseless animals.

I'm glad I'm in NYC where it's nice and safe.

I'll be thinking about you, Arella Mae. Hoping all turns out well.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 08:50 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

Make sure you've got some good locks just to be safe.

LOL!

Locks stop violent armed felons... I didn't know that.

Lock your doors, call the cops, hide and wait, and wait and wait... great plan.

Arella is obviously, and understandably very frightened. Your posts do nothing to calm her down. I'm more concerned about Arella than winning a silly argument with you. This is actually happening right now, there's absolutely nothing to be gained by frightening her more than she is already. Nobody ever mistakenly killed a loved one by fitting secure locks. Take a deep breath before any more macho posturing.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 09:24 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
He can walk up to my property and shoot my animals?????????

No he can't. I am not a lawyer, but thanks to Google I found what Louisiana state law has to say about aggravated cruelty to an animal. Your perpetrator could be looking at jail time, especially if the court considers his previous offenses.

Quote:
(6) Whoever commits the crime of aggravated cruelty to animals shall be fined not less than five thousand dollars nor more than twenty-five thousand dollars or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or both.

Source: Louisiana state code R.S. 14:102.1

He's free---on bail, I guess---until the trial. Whether he's free after the trial is going to be interesting to watch.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 09:27 am
Sorry you have to go through all this, AM. WTF is wrong with people?

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 09:46 am
Good grief. This is all so scary. Thinking of you and hoping for the best.
0 Replies