Casey Anthony found not guilty of murder

Arella Mae

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 09:30 am
@BillRM,
If the LAW were in effect then Casey Anthony would not be walking out of jail next Sunday!
BillRM

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 09:47 am
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
If the LAW were in effect then Casey Anthony would not be walking out of jail next Sunday!

So we design a law in case Casey have another child and pull the same thing once more?

Oh she was found guilty of crimes that got her 4 years worth of time and she is still walking free in a few weeks.

There is also a good chance that the little girl would never had been reported missing in the first place if such a law was in effect as Casey parents and her brother could very well not had been willing to exposed Casey to such a law once they found that the little girl had been missing for thirty days.

In the mean time we will likely exposed parents of late teens with felony charges if they do not wish to get the police involved in runaway situations.
Arella Mae

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 10:01 am
@BillRM,
As I said Bill, you don't want to do anything but whine and complain. You make that clear.
firefly

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 10:09 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
actually there was a lot more linking Peterson to the death of his wife than there was in the Anthony case, clearer motive/girlfriend, fishing boat/bodies in water, timeline of bodies in water/Peterson's movements

I think there was a clear motive in the Anthony case, but it just wasn't Casey wanting to be free of the responsibility of the child. The child was her meal ticket in terms of getting her parents to continue to support her--she hadn't had a job in years. But, just before the child's death, it became apparent to family members, outside of just Cindy and George Anthony, that Casey had stolen funds from an account used to pay her grandfather's expenses in a nursing home, and that put external family pressure on Cindy and George to do something about Casey, and a counselor had advised Cindy Anthony to kick her daughter out of the home and get custody of her granddaughter--and Cindy and Casey may have had a huge blow-up about these things the night before Caylee died. I think Casey killed her child impulsively in an act of rage directed toward her mother, and to keep her mother from ever getting custody of the child. And, after killing the child, she wasn't sure what to do with the body, so she just drove around with it in the trunk until she finally dumped it, like trash, not very far from the family home.

If Casey just wanted to party, she could have just given the child to her parents--they were already supporting and caring for their granddaughter--just as Scott Peterson could have walked out on Laci if he wanted to be with his girlfriend. But, both Scott and Casey wanted to be completely free of the people they killed--they wanted them completely out of their lives...permanently--they wanted no further entanglements or burdens from these people.

Casey's lying about her daughter's whereabouts for the 31 days before the police were called, with absolutely no evidence of grief on her part (and, even had the child accidentally drowned, as the defense contended, she knew her child was dead), the odor of decomposition in her car, the presence of chloroform in the trunk of her car, the duct tape on the child's skull, and the blanket and laundry bag found with the skeletal remains, is just as much evidence of guilt pointing to only one person as was present in the Peterson case. No one else but Scott had motive to kill Laci, and no one else but Casey had motive to kill Caylee.

The defense story that Caylee drowned, and that her grandfather helped to cover up an accidental death by making it appear to be a murder, but left Casey to dispose of the body, makes no sense--and no element of that story (or of the alleged incest in the family) was ever presented as evidence during the trial--it was nothing more than a fantasy, and not one a jury should have regarded as casting doubt on the issue of homicide. Cindy Anthony who testified that the pool ladder might have been left up, allowing the child to get into the pool, also committed perjury when she lied about doing the chloroform searches on her home computer, meaning her testimony about the ladder might have been another lie to try to spare her daughter the death penalty. And while Casey Anthony continued her life, and partying, as usual, knowing her daughter was dead, I do not believe, at all, that George Anthony could have concealed his grief for the next month if he knew his granddaughter had drowned in the pool. The drowning theory wasn't enough to raise reasonable doubt, based on evidence, it was nothing more than unsubstantiated speculation that was not proved at trial.

When jurors feel confident they have done the right thing, there is no reason for them to be "sick to their stomachs" about voting for an acquittal. These jurors, if juror #3 can be believed, did not think Casey Anthony was innocent, nor did they want to take responsibility for finding her guilty--and, in a purely circumstantial case, the jury has to take the responsibly for drawing the inference of guilt from the available evidence. They wanted the prosecutor to hand them direct evidence of absolute guilt with no unanswered questions. That's pretty unrealistic. I think the prosecutors did an excellent job of connecting the dots in this case, and they all point to the conclusion that Casey Anthony was responsible for the death of her child, and she should have been found guilty of one of the charges in that regard that the jury had to choose from. There was plenty of very credible forensic evidence in this case--evidence of homicide.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 10:17 am
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
As I said Bill, you don't want to do anything but whine and complain. You make that clear.

What I do not wish to do is pass feel good but stupid laws that are likely to do no good and perhaps cause harm to good people.
Arella Mae

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 10:23 am
@BillRM,
Of course to you, the laws that others ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING about are stupid, do no good, and possibly cause harm to people. Whereas the ones you WHINE AND COMPLAIN about are, um, um.............oh yes, I know, not important enough for you to actually do something about them.

From now on, this is what I see when you post, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.
Rolling Eyes
Linkat

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 10:32 am
@Arella Mae,
I read about this as well.

Why not make such a law - the sad thing is, this law should not have to be made - it should be good common sense that if a toddler is missing, you report it, not like a toddler could run away or take care of itself.

Even though it may be the rare case - why not enforce a law like this? It ain't gonna hurt.
BillRM

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 10:35 am
@Arella Mae,
So you would see no problem with charging parents with a felony if they did not report a late teen runaway to the police?

You would take away a parent rights to weight the harm of getting the police and the justice system involved to the goods it might do in such a case?

Forcing them to give their child a criminal record as a runaway even if doing so does not made any sense to them?

All this in the name of doing something!!!!!!
Linkat

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 10:38 am
@BillRM,
[img]So you would see no problem with charging parents with a felony if they did not report a late teen runaway to the police?[/img]

No - this is still a child and still needs a parent - if a teen were to runaway he/she could be in danger on the streets. I think the protection of a child is more important than a criminal record - maybe it would be better to change a runaway law (if there is such a thing as getting a record for running away) than to put a child in danger.
BillRM

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 10:42 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Even though it may be the rare case - why not enforce a law like this? It ain't gonna hurt.

What to bet this law cover all minors not just toddlers?

If so it is going to do harm in a great many cases as I had already posted and the times if might be useful is going to be very small indeed.

Even in the Casey case it is up in the air if her mother would have gotten the police involved when she did if she had a clue that her daughter would had been facing a felony charge for not reporting for 31 days.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 10:45 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I read about this as well.

Why not make such a law - the sad thing is, this law should not have to be made - it should be good common sense that if a toddler is missing, you report it, not like a toddler could run away or take care of itself.

Nothing is perfect, including our justice system. What we all try to do in life is make things better for everyone when we see injustices. If this law had been enacted and Casey had been charged with it she would not be getting off with such a light sentence. The Amber Alert started with a missing child. The Thurman Law started with one woman nearly being killed by her abusive ex-husband, etc. It is sad that there would be a need for such a law but I think it is pretty obvious the need is there.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 10:50 am
@Linkat,
So a 17 years old who run away with a known boyfriend for example who the parents have no reason to think is in harm way should be given a criminal record?

I will tell you that is at least a few thousands times a more likely situation then a small child not being reported missing.

Sorry I can see that by overruling a parent judgment who know his child and the likely situation this law will do far more harm then any good.
firefly

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:03 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
In the mean time we will likely exposed parents of late teens with felony charges if they do not wish to get the police involved in runaway situations.

Actually, the parents of late teens have shown they do want police and courts involved with runaways, since the parent is still legally responsible for the child, even if the child is outside the home--and they have demonstrated this, in states like NY, by successfully pushing to get the age for PINS petitions increased from 16 to 18. Parents who ignore the fact that the child has run away face neglect charges--requiring them to report, helps to protect the parents from that.
Quote:
There is also a good chance that the little girl would never had been reported missing in the first place if such a law was in effect as Casey parents and her brother could very well not had been willing to exposed Casey to such a law once they found that the little girl had been missing for thirty days.

There is nothing to suggest that anyone in the Anthony family would have protected Casey from any charges if they had known the child was "missing" from day one. They loved the child, they wanted to know where she was, and I don't think they would have even thought about protecting Casey.

You can't judge this family by how they acted after Casey faced the death penalty and a trial. They did what they could to help spare her life--she was still their child. This family has been completely upended by the tragedy of the grandchild's death and by a trial in which they were accused of all sorts of things.

An important aspect of Caylee's Law would be to make it a felony not to report the death of a child. It should be illegal not to report any death, and currently that is not the case.

Linkat

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:04 am
@BillRM,
If a 17 year old is a minor - then yes. The parent is in charge until a child is no longer a minor. It would be different if the parent gave consent to go away - then it wouldn't be a runaway.

0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:16 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Actually, the parents of late teens have shown they do want police and courts involved with runaways, since the parent is still legally responsible for the child, even if the child is outside the home--and they have demonstrated this, in states like NY, by successfully pushing to get the age for PINS petitions increased from 16 to 18.

Some parents do and some parents do not and this law would take away their freedom of judgment on the matter.

Quote:
There is nothing to suggest that anyone in the Anthony family would have protected Casey from any charges if they had known the child was "missing" from day one. They loved the child, they wanted to know where she was, and I don't think they would have even thought about protecting Casey.

Let see her mother was willing to take the stand of lied about computer searches in order to protect her so the above statement is not proven at least to me. Loving a two years old granddaughter could had been very well out weight by the love they had for their twenty years old daughter.

There is not way of knowing one way or the other and it seem an even odd bet to me.

Quote:
An important aspect of Caylee's Law would be to make it a felony not to report the death of a child. It should be illegal not to report any death, and currently that is not the case.

Oh needing to report a death is fine however that part of the law would not likely to be upheld by the courts under the fifth amendment if the party needing to do the reporting could be charge with a crime over the manner of the death.
firefly

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:22 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Oh needing to report a death is fine however that part of the law would not likely to be upheld by the courts under the fifth amendment if the party needing to do the reporting could be charge with a crime over the manner of the death.

The fifth amendment does not apply. You can't leave the scene of an auto accident, even if remaining there might subject you to arrest for a crime.
firefly

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:26 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Some parents do and some parents do not and this law would take away their freedom of judgment on the matter.

The law has already taken "freedom of judgment" away from parents--you are responsible for your child if they are under 18. If they are outside the home, and you don't know where they are, what they are doing, or who is supervising them, that's child neglect. All Caylee's Law would do is put a timeline on when you have to report the child missing.
Linkat

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:26 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, the parents of late teens have shown they do want police and courts involved with runaways, since the parent is still legally responsible for the child, even if the child is outside the home--and they have demonstrated this, in states like NY, by successfully pushing to get the age for PINS petitions increased from 16 to 18.

Then all the parent would need is to allow the child to go - I don't understand how this takes away their freedom of judgement - the child isn't missing if a parent allows their 17 to go away with their boyfriend. The parent can still judge whether they feel their child is old enough to be outside the home.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:28 am
@firefly,
I agree with you. How many true crime shows have you seen where parents have reported their child missing and were told, oh they'll come home, they are probably with friends, etc, and the police don't really do anything? Of course, that is usually in the case of teens. If this law were enacted I think it would also put pressure on the police to take more immediate action.

I see this law more as ensuring something like Casey Anthony walking away with so little time as a way to enable some reasonable prison sentence be imposed. Casey's mother did lie for her on the stand but we cannot forget it was Casey's mother that called and reported the child missing when she found out she really was missing. She did it for the child. She did lie on the stand in hopes of keeping Casey from the death penalty. I think that was pretty clear. She certainly did not do ANYTHING to keep Casey from being arrested once she found out that her grandchild had been missing for a month.

You might be surprised at how many children do go missing and are not reported. Some have been missing for years.
hawkeye10

Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:34 am
@Arella Mae,
Teen Runaway Laws in Florida

Quote:
Many adults claim that their teenage years were some of the most difficult periods of their lives. Hormones are racing as teens run away from childhood and are catapulted into adolescence and adulthood. Many teens have a strong desire for greater levels of independence and freedom while reshaping their notions of responsibility for themselves and others. Although running away, under most circumstances, does not solve any problems, it can still be important to be informed about the laws regarding runaways for the sake of prevention and other reasons.

Sheltering and Aiding
In Florida, it is unlawful to shelter or aid anyone who is under the age of 18 years old. Specifically, Florida state law, as defined by the Becca Bill, declares that it is against the law for any adult "other than the child's parent or guardian to shelter a runaway for more than 24 hours without permission of the child's parent or a law enforcement officer." Additionally, aiding can also include helping a runaway teen obtain shelter, even if it is in a hotel or motel.

Filing a Report
If a teenager runs away, then the parent or person of knowledge who comes in contact with the teenager is required to file a report with the police. If the teenager is caught by the police, he may be detained at a juvenile detention center until arrangements can be made for his return. The law states that police must accept a report when it is filed and that there is no requirement stating that the teen must be missing for 24 hours. Florida state law requires that all police reports for runaways should be entered into the National Crime Information Center, although the police are not required to begin a search immediately. Children who are believed to be in danger, under the age of 13 or are classified as mentally or physically disabled are put on the Critical Missing Persons list. Amber Alerts are only issued for life-threatening situations and are "intended only for the most serious, time-critical child abduction cases."

Running Away to Other States
If a teenager from Florida runs away to another state or if a teenager from another state runs away to Florida, then the state of Florida and any other state involved will seek to work together in order to "provide for the welfare and protection of juveniles." Florida has adopted this as a measure of the Interstate Compact on Juveniles, which many other states have also approved as state law.

Read more: Teen Runaway Laws in Florida | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6143634_teen-runaway-laws-florida.html#ixzz1RXJL509I