Casey Anthony found not guilty of murder

Lustig Andrei

Fri 16 Sep, 2011 02:17 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I believe that even on a lower level than Federal -- i.e. state, county or municipal -- a good prosecutor could make a case that a given instance of telling the police a falsehood can be construed as hampering and interfering with a legitimate police investigation, hence an actionable offense. (Whether or not it rises to the level of a felony would then be up to the judgement of the court.)
OmSigDAVID

Fri 16 Sep, 2011 02:37 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I believe that even on a lower level than Federal -- i.e. state, county or municipal -- a good prosecutor could make a case that a given instance of telling the police a falsehood can be construed as hampering and interfering with a legitimate police investigation, hence an actionable offense. (Whether or not it rises to the level of a felony would then be up to the judgement of the court.)
Different jurisdictions have different statutory infrastructures.
Differing results shoud be expected accordingly.

David
BillRM

Fri 16 Sep, 2011 04:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
It is against federal law -- a felony-- to lie to the FBI.
Therefore, if someone speaks to them,
any imperfection in what he says (or maybe what he fails to add??)
can cost him years in federal prison and a lifetime as a felon thereafter.
Even if u speak in good faith,
who can tell the future qua whether others on a jury will see it as true?

Whatayathink of that ??

I think that it is never a good idea to talk to the police at any level without a lawyer if there happen to be the smallest of chances that you might be a target for criminal charges.

For the reason above and for many more reasons.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 16 Sep, 2011 04:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Second comment in the case of Casey there is zero question that she both knowingly lied and her lies resulted in great cost to the state.

She was however free to keep her mouth shut as we are all free to do so.

Linkat

Fri 16 Sep, 2011 10:23 am
@hawkeye10,
They do this now - if you have an alarm system and you have a false alarm resulting in the police or fire department coming to your home more than a certain number of times you need to pay a fee. You get a couple of feebies and after that you are on the hook.

They do not charge you if you have a real emergency.
0 Replies

Mame

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 05:16 am
And I see no reason why inmates shouldn't be put to work to help offset the cost of their tenure in prison. The vast majority are in their due to their own actions and I don't see why they should get a free ride.
BillRM

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 05:30 am
@Mame,
Hmm that sound like it could turn into slavery especially in view of more and more prisons being taken over by for profit private companies.
Mame

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 05:45 am
@BillRM,
They're not private in Canada, and you'd have to have legislation.
BillRM

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 05:53 am
@Mame,
Well I am referring to the US and I can see the private companies beginning lobbying to lock people away for late library books Rolling Eyes in any case we already had the largest percents of the US population behind bars then any other first world country and I see no reason to give more of a economic reason to increase this population.
OmSigDAVID

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 01:32 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Well I am referring to the US and I can see the private companies beginning lobbying to lock people away for late library books Rolling Eyes in any case we already had the largest percents of the US population behind bars then any other first world country and I see no reason to give more of a economic reason to increase this population.
Bill, I wanna express my earnest, heartfelt gratitude
for your writing that as nicely as u did, without mistakes.

It really makes your writing much more pleasant to read,
and (even tho we ofen disagree, I believe that what u have written
has been WORTH reading). U have a clever and analytical mind. Thanks again.

David
OmSigDAVID

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 01:38 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Second comment in the case of Casey there is zero question that she both knowingly lied and her lies resulted in great cost to the state.

She was however free to keep her mouth shut as we are all free to do so.
Maybe. I dunno what the law is in Italy.
I just know that the food is good.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 01:41 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Hmm that sound like it could turn into slavery especially in view of more and more prisons being taken over by for profit private companies.
Yes; note that penalties for crimes whereof the defendant has been duly convicted are exceptions
to the 13th Amendment, by its own terms.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 01:42 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
And I see no reason why inmates shouldn't be put to work to help offset the cost of their tenure in prison.
The vast majority are in their due to their own actions and I don't see why they should get a free ride.
How about the innocent ones??
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 01:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Now, isn't that ironic!
JTT

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 02:05 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
The vast majority are in their due to their own actions

Someone, I can't recall who, suggested that these types of things were grammar errors. I pointed out that that was a nonsensical notion, that ENLs know there grammar, Smile but they can, easily, like all of us, make a spelling mistake.

Especially when there are three words that sound exactly the same.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:00 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Now, isn't that ironic!

Not really. You can refuse to talk to the FBI but to lie is to obstruct and impede an investigation. (The FBI is always ivestigating something. Always. Mr. Green )
JTT

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
You failed to see the irony, Merry.
Lustig Andrei

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:02 pm
@JTT,
Perhaps you failed to see mine. I even added an emoticon just for you.
JTT

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Perhaps I did.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:20 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Yes never never never talk to the FBI if there is even a .0001 percent chance that you might end up as target.

Note the FBI is free to lied to you all day long as the ban on lying is a one way ban.

They can tell you that they had evidence that they do not have or that you fail a lie detector test when you had passed it and on and on.

Strangely they are not free to lied to your lawyer in such a manner.