Tick, tick. August 2nd is the Debt Limit Armageddon. Or Not.

gungasnake

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
It has been all over the media that the Dems and Repubs are at loggerheads over raising our debt ceiling. If that doesn't happen, the country will default on its obligations and the economy of the U.S. and the world will collapse

That's basically wrong. Without anybody touching the debt limit at all there is still no reason to default on debt payments, which are about ten or twelve cents on the dollar the federal govt takes in. What WOULD happen is that somebody's vision of the 40% of govt expenses which are paid for by borrowing would come to a sudden halt and it boils down to a question of priorities. The house WILL impeach Obunga if he tries to make debt payments the first thing on the chopping block.

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:39 pm
I am still mystified about the thing tonight. Prime time talk by Obama saying nothing new followed by Boehner saying nothing new.
My feeling is that they scheduled this in response to an anticipated drop in financial markets today (which turned out to be a modest <1% drop) or something more tomorrow.
There certainly was no news here that I detected.
Did you sense something that I have missed?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:40 pm
@realjohnboy,
No, you didn't miss anything; it's rehash and spinning as usual - by both sides.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:46 pm
@gungasnake,
Debt payments will be honored - we can't afford to alienate the creditors. The Fed will cover them by running down its treasury holdings (about $1.5 trillion)
http://innovation.cq.com/media/debt_components/

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:48 pm
@High Seas,
HS, Do you think S&P and Moodys are going to downgrade US bonds?
High Seas

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sure - nobody overseas seems bothered by it, and nobody domestically either. Did you see the CDS rates on the German bunds? They're higher than on US treasuries since the 2nd Greek bailout, and Germany's AAA rating isn't placed in question. This is all more smoke and mirrors as JPB says. Goodnight Smile
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 08:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

sozobe wrote:

I am all for cutting back on spending, but that's a discussion to have when the budget is being voted on, not when the debt ceiling is being voted on.

Hard to do when the Democrats in the Senate refuse to either consider a budget already passed by the House, or offer one of their own.

By this, do you mean to say that the Senate has refused a vote on the Ryan budget ? Because, nothing could be further from the truth.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/163307-senate-votes-down-ryan-budget-medicare-

Cycloptichorn

Read your link and don't try to put your words in my mouth. The Senate voted to refuse to even consider either the House budget or the one Obama submitted earlier. No alternatives proposed; no conference committee to resolve differences; in short no action whatever.

My point above stands: the Senate refused to consider the House budget.
parados

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 08:26 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

Hard to do when the Democrats in the Senate refuse to either consider a budget already passed by the House, or offer one of their own.

From the US Constitution..
Quote:
All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives;

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 09:01 pm
@parados,
From Daily Koss.

Quote:
Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 05:01 AM PDT CBS Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

and

Quote:
(CNN) -- Five new national polls appear to back up President Barack Obama's statement that the public supports a combination of both spending cuts and tax increases as part of any agreement to raise the country's debt ceiling.

And the latest surveys also indicate that an increasing amount of people say that action needs to be taken to raise the debt limit.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 09:35 pm

Boehner actually looked and sounded positive and even presidential when countering PrezBO's words.

Obama looked and sounded more like a weak wannabe. Not at all confidence inspiring.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:57 pm
There is a report out that the Government has enough cash on hand to do nothing before Aug 8, and last month I noticed that some in the corporate class were calling for paying taxes early to give the government even more time . I dont think that we are anywhere near defaulting, which probably explains why the REPUBS refuse to be rattled by Obama's bluster. The markets on the other hand might start to panic about the failure of washington before the money runs out. The one thing that is very clear is that the REPUBS expect Obama to fold at the end of the day.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 12:01 am
@hawkeye10,
Getting to No

How does the GOP keeping outfoxing President Obama in the negotiating room?

By Eliot Spitzer

Quote:
A small question has been bothering me for some time now. Back in December 2010, there was a brief "era of good feelings" after the rancorous midterm elections. During what was then viewed by many as a respite from hyperpartisanship, President Obama and the Republican congressional leadership reached accords on a whole series of issues. Many noisily criticized these deals—especially the extension of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy—as cave-ins to the Republican agenda. And whatever one thought about the merits of the bargains struck back then, it was absolutely clear that we were heading into a debt-ceiling crisis by mid-2011. The math was simple. We were spending way more than revenue permitted, borrowing about 40 percent of all government spending, and by extending the Bush tax cuts, we were further denting revenues, accelerating the moment when we would hit the debt ceiling. Whether it was May or August of '11, the deadline was quickly approaching.

So why, as a condition for extending the Bush tax cuts, which President Obama repeatedly said he opposed, did he not require the Republicans to raise the debt ceiling then? Why didn't he make raising the debt ceiling part of the transaction that extended the Bush tax cuts? Why did he give the Republicans a second bite at the apple, cutting the revenue first, and then a chance to hold the government hostage again in the summer. Recall, extension of the Bush tax cuts added about $2 trillion to the federal deficit over 10 years, about the same amount that many of the debt-ceiling agreements would save over the next 10 years.

The White House is in this predicament because this administration really doesn't know how to negotiate

http://www.slate.com/id/2300000/

This opinion is rapidly becoming the consensus.

As well as
Quote:
The White House has tried desperately to play the "grownup" throughout the ideological battles of the past several years. But trying to be the grownup and actually being the grownup are two different things

Those doing cartoons of Obama should start doing him as a 6 year old.

That Obama is an out of touch prissy elitist who does not want to get his hands dirty has been in the water from day one, and this debt mess highlights this at a bad time for him

Quote:
If the administration is outfoxed in the negotiating room over and over and over again, it won't matter how correct its economic policies are; it will eventually lose the American public

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 12:19 am
@hawkeye10,
We've been asking the question, who is the real Obama? Nobody really knows. He's too wishy-washy to be president. No backbone, and mush for brains.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 12:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

We've been asking the question, who is the real Obama? Nobody really knows. He's too wishy-washy to be president. No backbone, and mush for brains.
It is more interesting than that..there is no there there, he has never figured out who he is and what he believes in. And he is too much the follower, in a time where America is deep into the **** and needs the best leaders we can find.

Problem is with Washington broken and political service largely held in disrepute by the people he might be the best we can get.

I think what we need is a military man, they are about the only people around right now who know how to lead.... If I could pick the next president I think it would be Robert Gates.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 12:56 am
I watched Obama's speech after his aides posted it to his Facebook page. I didn't like it. He starts by promoting a number of false premises: He insinuates that America's level of debt is the most important question to answer about the budget right now, and that it's the debt, not lagging demand, that will cost jobs, raise interest rates, and keep businesses from investing.

All of this is false. On standard macroeconomic analysis, the nation needs stimulus spending to the tune of $0.5--1 trillion a year, for as many years as it takes to either bring core inflation up above 4% or unemployment down below 6%. Only then does it make sense to begin balancing the budget. To be sure, on close parsing of his words, Obama doesn't technically say that debt is the only important issue about the budget. But it's certain that any meaningful stimulus is off the table, no matter how much the economy needs it. The only question is how to distribute his administration's contractionary policies between spending cuts and tax increases.

Having started from those false premises, Obama works in a nice Reagan quote and finds harsh words for the Tea-Party fundamentalists within the House-Republican ranks. But to put such pretty rhetoric on a fundamentally flawed analysis is like putting lipstick on a pig. I am not a happy camper.

PS: I watched Boehner's speech, too. As I expected, it's beneath contempt, so I won't even bother complaining about it.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:06 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
I watched Obama's speech after his aides posted it to his Facebook page. I didn't like it. He starts by promoting a number of false premises: He insinuates that America's level of debt is the most important question to answer about the budget right now, and that it's the debt, not lagging demand, that will cost jobs, raise interest rates, and keep businesses from investing
That is the used car salesman thing he does, everything is high pressure and if you dont do what he wants you to do you will be doomed, according to him. Remember the auto bankruptcies which had to be done RIGHT NOW according to his plan or else he was going to take his bad and ball and go home...same thing.

This is about what size government do we want, what size government are we willing to pay for, and what do we want this government to do. All of this stuff about financial systems and economic collapse is his high pressure sales tactic. Yes, if Washington does not work and does not come to decisions on the questions of the day then the economy will collapse, but that is a symptom of the process not working, it is not the question being worked on.

Obama thinks he is ten times smarter than anyone else in the room, this has always been one of his fatal flaws, it leads him to assume that everyone else is too dumb to catch him in a lazy scam.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

HS, Do you think S&P and Moodys are going to downgrade US bonds?

The only ones panicking about a credit downgrade so far are Obama and Co., desperate to avoid another debt-ceiling vote in 2012. All markets have ignored these threats of potential downgrades so totally that rating agencies backtracked. This is subscription-only (FT) so no link; bold added by me:
Quote:
…Michael Thompson, Robert Keiser and Steven Krull of S&P Valuation and Risk Strategies, in their own words:

"We used the difference in current credit default swap (CDS) rates for the U.S. and the average CDS rates for other sovereign credits with potential new ratings–as implied by Standard & Poor’s Market Derived Signals (MDS)–in order to estimate how much rates on U.S. Treasuries might rise. Then, we combined our estimation with bond durations to compute the potential price drop. We used MDS since many of the sovereign credits have CDS rates that appear inconsistent with their credit ratings.

This could of course be a sign that some credit ratings are overly generous (there was silly us thinking, erm, price was the market-derived signal). But apparently not.

Instead, the authors took a bunch of CDS quotes for different sovereigns and obtained the difference between the US’s current CDS quote (52.5 basis points) and the “market derived signals” (MDS) quote for an average AA-rated (75.7bps) or A-rated (90bps) sovereign. These differences are then assumed to be proxies for additional interest costs and applied to the US’s outstanding 10-year and 30-year bonds:

Currently, the 10 year bond has a modified duration of approximately 8.5 years, and the 30 year bond, 16.8 years. All other things being equal, based on these durations, the 10 year bond’s price would drop by 2.0% and 3.2% for ratings reductions to ‘AA’ and ‘A’, respectively. Similarly, the 30 year bond’s price would drop 3.9% and 6.3%, respectively. Although the possible interest changes appear moderate, across the spectrum of U.S. Treasuries with maturities of two years and longer with over $4 trillion currently outstanding, the total loss to investors could easily range from $50 to $100 billion. Also, increased rates would result in higher borrowing costs for the Treasury in the future. For example, financing a $1 trillion deficit would add $2.32 to $3.75 billion per year in additional interest expense.

As the authors imply, their (“rough”) analysis could have been done on the back of a cigarette packet. And it all depends on these so-called ”market derived signals” ratings, which aren’t explained in the report or the FT article. Fortunately, there’s a guide to what this all means on the S&P website.

In the Market Derived Signals Model, the key parameters observed for a firm are its current five-year credit default swap spread, Standard & Poor’s long-term issuer credit rating and CreditWatch/Outlook status, Global Industry Classification Standard (GICS® ) sector, CDS document type, and currency denomination. We compile this information on a large number of firms on a daily basis, and then at the end of each day, we estimate a linear model that regresses the observed log of the CDS spread on each of the other variables. For purposes of the model, the credit rating on the underlying obligation is assigned a numerical score that corresponds to the credit ratings scale, i.e. ‘AAA’ = 1, ‘AA+’ = 2, etc.

The methodology was designed for firms but has been applied to sovereigns, with a small tweak to adjust for the different durations of CDS spreads (some had five-year and some had 10-year spreads).

It’s certainly wise for the rating agencies to incorporate several variables when assessing the impact of downgrades on interest rate costs. But it’s also interesting that it’s having to use this methodology because — as S&P admits — market prices are diverging from what its normal rating would expect.

So, in answer to your original question: the world didn't come to an end on May 16 (when we first hit the debt limit) and won't come to an end on August 2 either. This is a cheap Obama political gamble to avoid yet another debt ceiling vote in 2012; all Republicans have voted against all 3 ceiling raises since Obama became president and plan to vote against this one as well unless it's very short-term. Obama can run around with his hair on fire all he likes - the very rating agencies he tries to scare us with are hedging their own previous pronouncements like crazy because markets ignored them or laughed at them.

Finally, to Thomas: stimulus only works (i) in a closed economy, (ii) if the money is used for investment, not consumption, (iii) if the government doesn't get the stimulus funds from net new borrowing. None of these conditions apply in our situation, or applied at the time of the last "stimulus" - which failed to "stimulate" but did succeed in pushing us ever-deeper into unsustainable debt levels. The absolutely last thing we need is another one of those.

High Seas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:23 am
@Thomas,
Thomas - do you sometimes get this suspicion that Paul Krugman follows you around online and copies your posts, adding the bits and pieces you left out?!
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/
Quote:
July 26, 2011, 8:12 am
Meh, Bleh, and Eek

At this point, we just have to accept it as a fact of life: Obama doesn’t, and maybe can’t, do outrage — no matter how much the situation calls for it. The purpose of last night’s speech, if there was one, was to rally the nation against crazy Republicans. But there were no memorable lines, no forceful statements of the very stark reality. “Now, now, that’s not reasonable” isn’t going to move multitudes.

It turns out, I’m sorry to say, that he wasn’t the one we were waiting for.

Meanwhile, Boehner’s reply was as vile and dishonest as you might have expected.

I really don’t see how this ends without either default or the belated discovery by Treasury that the constitutional option is viable after all.
sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:35 am
@realjohnboy,
It's about what I predicted. Remember that a lot of people don't really get what's going on -- they know that there is some big debt crisis but they are not following the details of it, and it's confusing.

This was an attempt to make people aware of what is going on and what the stakes are, so that they can in turn influence their legislators (directly or via polls) to make a deal more likely.
High Seas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Just noticed on my link for Thomas, Krugman, writing on the day before Obama's speech, said exactly the same thing I said to you earlier today:
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/moodys-blues-poor-standards-and-the-debt/
Quote:
The point is that when S&P or Moody’s speaks, that’s not the voice of “the market”. It’s just some guys with an agenda, and a very poor track record. And we have no idea how much effect their actions will have.

That's a fact - personally I can't figure out why Obama doesn't speak to any economists, of any persuasion, before starting to make prime time speeches.