What did you think of Donald Trump's Apprentice show?

Heeven

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 08:03 am
One person I have been disappointed to see flying under the radar is Kwame. I have seen each of the others come into the limelight ,and spotlight either their good or bad flaws, but Kwame has been consistently unobtrusive throughout - not taking a definitive role. Not exactly an ideas man or manager material from what we have seen on the show. Still he does seem like a nice guy. I don't think he'll be picked in the end by Trump.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 07:04 pm
Ditto Heeven
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 07:06 pm
Troy, Nick, or Amy would all probably love to get down to the final two with Kwame because it would make Trump's decision so easy.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:39 pm
Nick--He isn't good enough. It is going to be between Troy and Amy. Those are the only two that have shown any worth. Amy has never lost. But Troy has lost with grace and he duped the other team out of their apartment. It should be between Amy and Troy. Nick is just there not even doing anything. He can't connect with anyone who works for him.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:47 am
Quote:
Somehow, someway in our yo-yo economic climate where corporate terms such as "downsizing" and "outsourcing" make employed Americans shudder, Donald Trump has the country hooked on ... getting canned.

"You're fired!" he announces to one unlucky employee after another on NBC's weekly reality show The Apprentice. Adding insult to getting sacked on national television, The Donald says it with a hand gesture that brings to mind a lightning-quick serpent strike. The stunned employee grabs his rolling suitcase and sulks toward the lobby elevator where it's down, down, down to a waiting yellow cab. No severance. No parting gift.

Only a half dozen of the original 16 Apprentice contestants remain. Here are how they stack up against each other, in our humble opinion:

•Nick Warnock, 27-year-old sales team leader from Los Angeles: The favorite.

Despite his shortcomings as a salesman, which is supposed to be his strength, Trump seems to have a soft spot for the redhead. He's escaped the boardroom several times, but one more slip-up could cost him.

Edge: His private meeting with Trump inside the palatial penthouse.

•Bill Rancic, 32-year-old entrepreneur and cigar-company owner from Chicago: Mr. Runner-up.

He cleans up like a president but acts more like a VP.

Edge: Everyone likes a nice guy.

•Amy Henry, 30-year-old Austinite who works for a high-tech start-up: The dark horse.

She's smart and has been flawless as a leader and team player. However, Trump has been firing women left and right since he made the teams coed in Week 5.

Edge: She has the respect of her teammates and bossman Trump. Plus, she has Nick wrapped around her finger.

•Troy McClain, 32-year-old mortgage lender from Idaho: A distant contender.

If The Apprentice were set in Atlanta, perhaps his country drawl might be an asset, but we can't picture Mr. Trump hiring Jethro Clampett to run one of his companies.

Edge: He hasn't been close to the chopping block since the first week.

•Kwame Jackson, 29-year-old investment manager from New York: Long shot.

He's made some clear mistakes, such as picking the bizarre artist no one liked, but he manages to keep sliding by.

Edge: His survival skills.

•Katrina Campins, 24-year-old Florida real estate agent: Only if hell freezes over.

She got "duped" as project manager by McClain in front of Trump. And The Donald probably wouldn't hire someone who got outplayed.

Edge: Being embarrassed could work as motivation.

But before Season 1 wraps up, let's take a look at lessons to be learned on the show. The Donald is ruthless and gives specific reasons for his firings -- from disloyalty to not taking a leadership role. Grasping those workplace messages could keep you from joining the ranks of the unemployed:

Week 1 task: Sell lemonade; David is fired.

Lesson to take to work: Make a solid impression on the boss, and be quick about it. Don't admit to the boss that you wouldn't make a good leader. That's what David did, and he became the first to do the elevator ride of shame.

Week 2 task: Create an advertising campaign; Jason is fired.

Lesson to take to work: Don't play fortune-teller and guess what your client wants. Meet with him face-to-face and ask him. That was Jason's downfall.

Week 3 task: Negotiate lower prices on purchases; Sam is fired.

Lesson to take to work: Whining that people don't respect you just begs the question: Why don't they respect you? Perhaps falling asleep at work and rolling around on the floor has something to do with it.

Bonus lesson: Be sure to take your meds (as directed) if the chemical activity in your brain needs a little regulating.

Week 4 task: Manage Planet Hollywood; Bowie is fired.

Lesson to take to work: If you're going to lie low, at least be smart enough to do your job well enough so you don't become the fall guy. Bowie was in charge of merchandising and he stunk at it.

Week 5 task: Work as flea-market vendors; Kristi is fired.

Lesson to take to work: When you're back is against the wall, stick up for yourself and your job performance. And be careful whom you trust.

Bonus lesson: When your company's money ends up missing, make sure the paper trail doesn't lead to you.

Week 6 task: Secure charity-auction items; Jessie is fired.

Lesson to take to work: If you don't stand up for yourself, who's going to respect you? Not The Donald.

Bonus lesson: What comes around, goes around. The week before, Jessie had turned on her friend Kristi in the boardroom.

Week 7 task: Renovate and rent an apartment; Tammy is fired.

Lesson to take to work: Loyalty may not get you everywhere, but disloyalty can get you canned faster than incompetence. Tammy turned on her team in front of Trump. And that did not go over well with him.

Week 8 task: Sell bottled water; Ereka is fired.

Lesson to take to work: As a manager, never let them see you sweat -- or come unglued.

Week 9 task: Pick an artist and sell his art; Omarosa is fired.

Lesson to take to work: Excuses, excuses, excuses. Eventually the boss will frown upon lame explanations. And forgoing your deadline work for a lunch break will earn you a neon pink slip.

Bonus lesson: Faux concussions and super-drama-queen antics won't fly with the boss.

Week 10 task: Manage a pedicab company; Heidi is fired.

Lesson to take to work: Being abrasive is an asset only when you're scrubbing a grimy tub. It's hard to be a leader when you irritate the rest of the group. And Heidi's continual caustic nature finally pushed Trump over the edge.

Bonus lesson: Applying massive amounts of blue eye shadow won't help your cause.

Houston Chronicle
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:08 am
Nick is da man! I think he's a hottie and he's got what it takes to run one of Trump's businesses. I don't think he's smug....he's confident. I think it's going to come down to Nick, Amy and Bill. With Nick being the winner.

Kwame is too unscrupulous and Troy is too hokey.

As for Omarosa...she wants to be the next Oprah. Fat chance that'll ever happen with that prissy, rotten attitude of hers.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:57 am
Nick can't win.

Amy and Nick both showed how lazy they are. Sleeping on the train. Ha

Plus Amy falling for Nick or Nick falling for Amy was their down fall. And Amy saying she uses her sexuality to get things wasn't smart.

Troy, Bill and Amy.

Troy is has gotten better not worse like Amy.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:37 am
Something about Troy - I like the guy.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:02 pm
Troy is very likeable...I agree...

Come to think of it...Occom Bill kinda reminds me of Troy - It's the picture.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 05:51 pm
Troy has street smarts and they're tempered by a innate ability to lead. People want to follow him. Nick and Amy both have the leadership qualities and Amy has had to most chance to demonstrate them. Nick is a bit shy on the logistics. I don't think Amy's comments about using female or male charm is verboten in business. In small doses, it serves. It's those who go overboard with it and it becomes a facade for leadership insufficiencies. Being a good boss no longer means you have to make yourself unlikable and feared. It means you inspire people to do your bidding by giving them the impression you are working with them. Donald has it. Do any of the finalists?
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:48 pm
LW,

Or better yet - you inspire people to do your bidding by ACTUALLY working with them.

Wink
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:04 pm
I don't like any of 'em.

Maybe Amy 'cause she's a woman and I like to see women go far. Smile But she seems too damn cocky about herself.

Maybe Troy. He's too damn cocky too. And annoying. But not as annoying as Nick.

Not Nick. Too annoying and idiotic.

Not Kwame. Has he even been a team leader yet? I haven't noticed! And that sums it up.

I used to like Bill until I heard someone (Katrina?) say he shakes every time he's in the boardroom. Then that got me thinkin' about how everyone else but him is to blame - according to Bill. Grow a spine I say!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:17 pm
By using the word "impression" I meant that that is usually as far as it goes in a boss actually being involved with doing the job. I didn't mean it as a phony affectation. This is a delicate balance that only the best leaders are savvy to.

I think caprice has hit the right note. None of them really strike me as being able to run a large company.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:39 pm
Just got a telephone call that Troy graduated from the High School my Son goes to. Have to check those details.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:50 pm
BBB
Troy was fired tonight.

BBB
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:56 pm
Isn't Troy from Iowa?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:12 am
Don't know how that works - I'm torked he's off.
Omarosa might be coming back?? OMG
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 01:13 am
Where did you hear that? About Omarosa?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 01:24 am
Troy fired
April 2, 2004 --

TROY McClain, the country boy from Montana, was "fired" by Donald Trump on last night's "The Apprentice."

That leaves only Kwame Jackson, Bill Rancic, Amy Henry and Nick Warnock remaining on the NBC series - with just two weeks to go until the two-hour April 15 finale.

The winner snares a $250,000-a-year job in the Trump Organization - and all the trappings of short-lived reality-TV fame.

NBC has already renewed the highly rated series for next season.Michael Starr
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 01:33 am
He's from Montana?
0 Replies