53
   

New York New York!

 
 
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 06:51 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I sometimes engage in ejaculations of glee or anger that, while substantive to my way of thinking, are obscure and not communicative to others.
When I said "I SMELL TEE SHIRT", I meant that the statement made by the tie breaking Senator in NY , which was, something like'
"**** IT,IM JUST TRYING TO DO THE RIGHT THING"

Something like that.
I felt that this phrase could be printed on Tee shirts in NY state and sold as a remembrance of this historic vote.THats all,

I actually dont derive any fun from going around snelling tee shirts but I could see how that could have been so interpreted.

my bad.

No, no, not at all, farmer!
The problem was with me.

I actually thought you were making some political pronouncement that made a lot of sense in the US! Smile

I see what you meant now. Yes, that makes sense to me, too.
Thanks for explaining.

And I couldn't in a million years imagine you running around the place smelling Tshirts! Razz

0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  0  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:16 am

ERRATUM:
"The courts shoud be divested of any jurisdiction to interfere
beyond the contractally expressed intentions of the parties."

SHOUD BE:
The courts shoud be divested of any jurisdiction to interfere
beyond the contractually expressed intentions of the parties.






During my study of the Domestic Relations Law of NY
( or was it the General Obligations Law ?? )

I was beyond ineffably appalled & aghast by the statutory effrontery
that there were 3 parties to ALL marriages in NY, to wit:
the bride, the groom and the State.





0 Replies
 
Fido
 
  0  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Quote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

farmerman wrote:
anybody ever tell you that you make no sense?
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Fido can correct me, if I 'm mistaken,
but in one of his posts, he said that he is mentally disturbed
and he mentioned a particular mental disorder.

Fido wrote:
I am sort of eclectic when it comes to mental illness... I am even in love... But I also follow the maxim
that it is insane to be sane in an insane society, and even down right dangerous...
According to your reasoning, Fido,
the medical personnel in mental hospitals are both INSANE and in DANGER.

I do not agree with that.
You must never have heard of an institutional neurosis... You cannot hang with sick people and not get sick... If you throw a man in prison he becomes a prisoner... If you put a guard over him the guard begins to suffer the same mentality... People get drawn into their situations, and it is for this reason that shrinks are right behind cops in suicides... The people who work with the insane are in danger, especially from themselves... Just like people in the army are often more in danger from themselves and each other...


Quote:
Fido wrote:
If you do not have a touch of madness you can never understand a part of what most people do...
I desire that the calculator between my ears function ACCURATELY.
Your brain is much more than a calculator... We have the moral form of the heart, but the heart as the center of emotion has been replaced by the mind, another moral form; but it is all in your brain... You desire that is should work... Often, the criminally insane have brains that work as well as calculators, but they have no moral restraint, no tie to humanity and not a shread of human compassion... Let me have the mind I have that works well enough and still cannot prove that one and one equals two... For me, life is lived by the braille method: I FEEL my way through...

Quote:

Fido wrote:
Only with the presumption that everyone but me and thee are nuts -and I don't know about you, does any of the madness we take for granted in our society make any sense... Look at Weiner for example... Look at all the Gays that want to stand up in public and say YA!; I take it in the butt to have three squares and a roof over my head... What's the choice??? Go to jail???
Sure they're nuts; but are they any nuttier than all the fools who deny themselves love, and being able to say I love you to the gay of their choice just because of holy scripture 2 to 4K years old??? What ever is your excuse for love it has got to be better than any excuse for hatred... I don't want to defend their love; and I don't want to have to defend my own love... It is enough for me that I can still love, that I can care, and promise my caring to the end of my days... Sure it's insane... It is as crazy as a pledge of honor in a dishonorable world... It is as crazy as a moral man in a demoralized world...

What weakness is it to cling to a beautiful person and put all trust in her??? I tell you that weakness is my only strength... I would rather follow her, and have her be my Goddess than General every army in the world... So; crazy I am, and let me wag not my fingers at the love of others... None of us have enough, and too much of all we have only gives us dis-ease....
Your writing suggests that u like to have FUN with words,
but if u offer them for a response
from your fellows in this forum,
we can only evaluate exactly what u said;
i.e., the ostensible logic of your words.

We can 't DO that, if u have used those words as toys,
altering their meaning (for instance: "It is as crazy as
a moral man in a demoralized world..."; we are not doing POETRY here).

Please note that, in the fullness of sincerity,
I wish u the best Good Fortune and success
in being restored to good mental health.

Fido, with all respect,
I ask that if u can and if u are able to remember:
please write to us in a LOGICAL way,
that figures accurately, like when u add numbers together.





David
You cannot prove a logic to words... Words are a form of relationship... We give words their meaning as we go... Numbers are also a form of relationship, but there, everything is given to reason... All the numbers are signs in direct relation to one which is the concept behind math... Because one has a direct relationship with two, and three, and four, etc, it is the perfect tool to reason and ratio, that is, to rational thought... We have no need to say: What is the meaning of five.... That is a settled matter, but every time we use words we must make certain we are talking about the same thing, sharing the same meaning with each word... To read a history of our language is to begin to grasp the many ways the meaning of words has changed over time... Everytime a politician tells a lie, says one word meaning another, and every time you stretch the truth, the meaning of the words you use is modified... We not only take meaning from our words, but give them meaning as well, as language, and communication is a dynamic process playing out in time... Ultimately, words are only good to us during the duration of our lives... It is our lives and the needs of our lives that give words and everything else meaning... Sans life, sans meaning...
OmSigDAVID
 
  -1  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:53 am
@Fido,
Quote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

farmerman wrote:
anybody ever tell you that you make no sense?
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Fido can correct me, if I 'm mistaken,
but in one of his posts, he said that he is mentally disturbed
and he mentioned a particular mental disorder.

Fido wrote:
I am sort of eclectic when it comes to mental illness... I am even in love... But I also follow the maxim
that it is insane to be sane in an insane society, and even down right dangerous...
According to your reasoning, Fido,
the medical personnel in mental hospitals are both INSANE and in DANGER.

I do not agree with that.
Fido wrote:
You must never have heard of an institutional neurosis... You cannot hang with sick people and not get sick... If you throw a man in prison he becomes a prisoner... If you put a guard over him the guard begins to suffer the same mentality... People get drawn into their situations, and it is for this reason that shrinks are right behind cops in suicides... The people who work with the insane are in danger, especially from themselves... Just like people in the army are often more in danger from themselves and each other...
I have heard of some of that.



Quote:
Fido wrote:
If you do not have a touch of madness you can never understand a part of what most people do...
I desire that the calculator between my ears function ACCURATELY.
Fido wrote:
Your brain is much more than a calculator... We have the moral form of the heart, but the heart as the center of emotion has been replaced by the mind, another moral form; but it is all in your brain... You desire that is should work... Often, the criminally insane have brains that work as well as calculators, but they have no moral restraint, no tie to humanity and not a shread of human compassion... Let me have the mind I have that works well enough and still cannot prove that one and one equals two... For me, life is lived by the braille method: I FEEL my way through...
Fido, in another thread, u mentioned Schizophrenia.
Not long ago, I saw an account on TV of a fellow whose brother
was living with him, who suffered from Schizophrenia.
One evening, while the fellow was feeling safe and quiet,
his Schizophrenic brother attacked him with a Bowie Knife,
inflicting fatal wounds. (He was brought back to life again.)

Can u see yourself becoming violent, because of that disorder ?
joefromchicago
 
  8  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:25 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
No thanks, I think I'll just try to get a conservative judge to make up some nonsense about the law is already unconstitutional like you do when conservatives pass laws.

Typical conservative, running to find an activist judge to overturn a law he doesn't like.
OmSigDAVID
 
  0  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 03:33 pm
@joefromchicago,
Brandon9000 wrote:
No thanks, I think I'll just try to get a conservative judge
to make up some nonsense about the law is already unconstitutional
like you do when conservatives pass laws.
joefromchicago wrote:
Typical conservative, running to find an activist judge to overturn a law he doesn't like.
Yes; regarding ANY statute, either it IS consistent with the Constitution
that purportedly enables its legitimacy,

OR

it is NOT consistent therewith and therefore: not legitimate.

It falls to a court to decide WHICH.
That is what judges of the law get paid to do.





David
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  2  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 03:57 pm
listening to the opie and anthony show discussing the new york gay marriage victory, they're all for it, but comedian and third mic jim norton had a great line about how he's confused as to why gays strive for the two worst things about being straight, marriage and serving in the military
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

farmerman wrote:
anybody ever tell you that you make no sense?
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Fido can correct me, if I 'm mistaken,
but in one of his posts, he said that he is mentally disturbed
and he mentioned a particular mental disorder.

Fido wrote:
I am sort of eclectic when it comes to mental illness... I am even in love... But I also follow the maxim
that it is insane to be sane in an insane society, and even down right dangerous...
According to your reasoning, Fido,
the medical personnel in mental hospitals are both INSANE and in DANGER.

I do not agree with that.
Fido wrote:
You must never have heard of an institutional neurosis... You cannot hang with sick people and not get sick... If you throw a man in prison he becomes a prisoner... If you put a guard over him the guard begins to suffer the same mentality... People get drawn into their situations, and it is for this reason that shrinks are right behind cops in suicides... The people who work with the insane are in danger, especially from themselves... Just like people in the army are often more in danger from themselves and each other...
I have heard of some of that.



Quote:
Fido wrote:
If you do not have a touch of madness you can never understand a part of what most people do...
I desire that the calculator between my ears function ACCURATELY.
Fido wrote:
Your brain is much more than a calculator... We have the moral form of the heart, but the heart as the center of emotion has been replaced by the mind, another moral form; but it is all in your brain... You desire that is should work... Often, the criminally insane have brains that work as well as calculators, but they have no moral restraint, no tie to humanity and not a shread of human compassion... Let me have the mind I have that works well enough and still cannot prove that one and one equals two... For me, life is lived by the braille method: I FEEL my way through...
Fido, in another thread, u mentioned Schizophrenia.
Not long ago, I saw an account on TV of a fellow whose brother
was living with him, who suffered from Schizophrenia.
One evening, while the fellow was feeling safe and quiet,
his Schizophrenic brother attacked him with a Bowie Knife,
inflicting fatal wounds. (He was brought back to life again.)

Can u see yourself becoming violent, because of that disorder ?
I am not schizophrenic... I tend to be depressed, and that is bad enough... I am sort of socially withdrawn... This is the most social part of my life... Yet, it matters the least to me... Nothing hangs on our words, so it is just talk...And I have no problem being violent... All you have to do is be violent with me and you will see another level of violence...
0 Replies
 
Cycloptichorn
 
  4  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:17 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

When other jurisdictions, such as the state of California, had referenda or had legislatures which passed laws forbidding the issuance of gay marriage licenses, the liberals got some liberal judge to make a tortured legal claim that the Constitution forbids the banning of gay marriage, thus disinfranchising the millions of people who voted for it.

We, the conservatives, should now bring the New York law to court and get some conservative judge to create a false argument that the Constitution forbids the legalizing of gay marriage, thus disinfranchising the New York citizens who passed it.


How do you 'get' a judge?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:25 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

listening to the opie and anthony show discussing the new york gay marriage victory, they're all for it, but comedian and third mic jim norton had a great line about how he's confused as to why gays strive for the two worst things about being straight, marriage and serving in the military

Very Happy

That's what's always got me about the homophobe line against marriage and the military. If you have an irrational fear and hatred of gays, wouldn't you want them to be at least as miserable as everyone else?
ehBeth
 
  5  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:32 pm
@dlowan,
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/261937_249347748412654_152537168093713_1263768_3945643_n.jpg


from somewhere in Chelsea in Manhattan
jcboy
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:42 pm
@ehBeth,
haha so true, my parents had a gay son Smile
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:59 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Kudos to NY! . They realize that it's not about just voting the party line, it's about voting for what's right.




Funny, but they did vote the (Democrat) party line.
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:14 pm
I'm not celebrating, but I'm not in mourning.

I'm ambivalent.

In any case, one of the arguments made against the legalization of gay marriage is the slippery slope theory.

Today gay; tomorrow donkey lovers.

Most proponents of gay marriage dismiss such an argument with pronounced derision.

All well and good, but some of you guys will be the ones to try and lower the bar for donkey lovers. We can all agree that there aren't too many social conservatives and fundamentalist Christians who oppose gay marriage but would tolerate all the possibilities down the slippery slope.

So for the peace of mind of those of us who are basically OK with gay marriages but don't want to see us falling down a slippery slope, can you gay rights supporters confirm that gays, lesbians and transgenders are the last group for whom civil rights need to be fought?

Ten years from now, you're not going to tell us you have "evolved" to the point where your understand why an adult should be able to marry a child are you?

What do you say?

Make me feel more secure.
edgarblythe
 
  4  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn:
can you gay rights supporters confirm that gays, lesbians and transgenders are the last group for whom civil rights need to be fought?

Ten years from now, you're not going to tell us you have "evolved" to the point where your understand why an adult should be able to marry a child are you?

Jesus, what a sick thing to accuse people of.
sozobe
 
  5  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Consent.

That's what I have to say.

(Children and donkeys are not able to provide it.)
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  5  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Er...did the concept of consenting adults escape you entirely?

failures art
 
  2  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The laws of the USA, already let you marry a 12 year old. You just have to wait 6 years.

less in some places with a permission slip.

A
R
T
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:26 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
If you have an irrational fear and hatred of gays,
wouldn't you want them to be at least as miserable as everyone else?
As far as I know, thay were the victims of scorn, maybe hatred,
but did anyone FEAR them ?????
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:34 pm
By the way - homophobe is a terrible term for a number of reasons:

It literally means "fear of the same."

It, deliberately, confuses hatred for fear, assuming the kitchen psychologist's belief that hatred is inherently born of fear, and that somehow the hater is minimized by converting his rage to fear.

I'm sure there are people who fear gays the way others fear spiders and clowns, and if we accept that homo is aptly synonomous with gay, then homophobe is a good term to describe them.

Unfortunately, there are people who actually hate gays and not because they are afraid of them. Wouldn't something like misohomo be a better term for them?

It's really just an academic argument because whether one is a homophobe or a misohomo, one is bent, but I have to admit it irritates me when language is co-opted for ideological purposes, and the use of homophobe is very much such a case.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » New York New York!
  3. » Page 5
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/17/2021 at 12:52:43