The Fantasy Fantasy A2K NFL Pick-Um Thread for 2011-2012

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 01:41 pm
For the past half dozen or more years, we have had a game on A2K where we pick the winners in each week's NFL games. Kickycan started it and then I ran it except for the year JPB in Chicago took over. We had a mere 6 players or so the 1st year but got to something like 24 last year.
Most of us know nothing about football, but that was no obstacle. We had a player named Coin Toss/Coin Toss who flipped,unsurprisingly, coins.
We are ready to go for another season, set to begin in a few months. We have players from Mexico through the U.S. and Canada, and over to Europe. And we welcome new participants.
All we are missing is the NFL and the players. I don't follow it closely, but there is a labor dispute that has caused the players to go on strike or maybe the owners locked out the players.
In any event the season appears to be in doubt, although I think that both sides will come to the realization that no NFL will be bad for both sides.
Watch this space.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 125,102 • Replies: 2,144

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 02:05 pm
@realjohnboy,
I am betting that this season will be a major loss. There are many money disputes that, at present, seem irreconcilable, alas.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 02:27 pm
@farmerman,
I'm slightly following the madness that is the conflict between the Owners and the Players. They have recently been close to agreement but then some owners balked. I get this all confused with what is happening with the Dodger ownership.
Kidding, I don't really confuse them, but the situations sort of blend together if I don't blink my eyelids for a bit.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 02:30 pm
@farmerman,
For a couple of minutes, I thought you meant money disputes between a2kers who played last year Fantasy Fantasy A2K NFL Pick-Um.

Nevermind. Razz
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 02:34 pm
@farmerman,
The negotiation talks are closer now then they had been, but it was at a stand-still before. I had heard that the discussions (besides issues like whether or not they'll have an 18-game season and less pre-season games) revolves around the splitting of the revenue-sharing of $9b USD.

Allegedly the owners are offering 44.5% to the players and the players want 48%). I can't imagine theyd let this áll drag on beyond the end of the month. Do they really want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg? How greedy can these millionaires players and billionaire owners be?

Osso: I know what you mean about confusion with McCourts case. It's all about poor judgement and greed.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 02:51 pm
@Ragman,
Plus the divorce agreement seems wacky given the situation. Well, we'll see what Selig does.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 02:55 pm
@realjohnboy,
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg115/scaled.php?server=115&filename=gargylesfm4.jpg&res=medium
George

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 04:19 pm
@ehBeth,
A2K group photo?
jespah

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 04:23 pm
@George,
If so, who's the guy puking at the bottom?
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 04:37 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I am betting that this season will be a major loss. There are many money disputes that, at present, seem irreconcilable, alas.
hopefully cooler heads will prevail.
both sides stand to lo$e a great deal if they don't play this year...
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 06:11 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
If so, who's the guy puking at the bottom?

Nominations?
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 06:29 pm
@George,
I would vote for Spendius. As I recall the Brit won the thing the year before last despite loathing the game. He didn't want to play last year but I goaded him into trying to defend his title. He came close but someone else won.
Spendi is certainly welcome to play again, of course, but I would see him as the puker.
0 Replies

bill22

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 02:23 am
@realjohnboy,
Tuesday night, Hines Ward later added another title upon Super Bowl, he defeated the actor Christie Ellis and Chelsea Kane, a "Dancing with the Stars" TV show 12 season championship.
Program judges Kelly Ann said afte Ward and partner Kim Johnson end the show,: "You are the 12 championship season, you not only dance well, and well versed in how to bring dance to your heart Dance. "Ward said after the game, their victory thanks to partners, efforts and fans, he said: " The competition is very intense from the start, we know the final result is on the ballot, so we have to to thank the fans. "
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 04:34 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

For the past half dozen or more years, we have had a game on A2K where we pick the winners in each week's NFL games. Kickycan started it and then I ran it except for the year JPB in Chicago took over. We had a mere 6 players or so the 1st year but got to something like 24 last year.
Most of us know nothing about football, but that was no obstacle. We had a player named Coin Toss/Coin Toss who flipped,unsurprisingly, coins.
We are ready to go for another season, set to begin in a few months. We have players from Mexico through the U.S. and Canada, and over to Europe. And we welcome new participants.
All we are missing is the NFL and the players. I don't follow it closely, but there is a labor dispute that has caused the players to go on strike or maybe the owners locked out the players.
In any event the season appears to be in doubt, although I think that both sides will come to the realization that no NFL will be bad for both sides.
Watch this space.

So, we are a month and a half on and the owner's and player's seem to have come to an agreement on how to divide the zillion dollars of
revenue. All of the fans who declared that never, never again would they watch the NFL will hear the siren song. Big guys slamming into each other once a week. Folks with Pabst Blue Ribbons sitting on couches, including me. I'll be cheering for Pittsburgh, even though I have never been there. Steelers.
Our game here on A2K consists of picking the winners in the NFL games each of the 17 or so weeks. This will be our 6th or 7th season. Sports is not at all big on A2K, so I have structured this as a very simple game where knowledge of the NFL is not at all necessary to be successful.
There is no registration required. There are some rules, but I forget what they are (which tells you something about how seriously we take this). If you might be interested, please let me know so I can assign you a column on my decidedly low-tech score card.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 04:38 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm interested.
And will watch the 49'ers with a jaundiced eye.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 04:53 pm
just got a note from JetBlue that the season is on

It's on!

(and I still have less than one clue about the NFL - I'm a CFL gal)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 04:54 pm

let's do this...
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 08:25 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'll be there!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 04:56 pm
@CowDoc,
http://jigzoneshop.com/images_products/football-fantasy-jigsaw-puzzle-136big.jpg

almost ready

http://nfl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p8188127reg.jpg

ahhhhhhhh

http://www.sfsignal.com/mt-static/images/snacks.jpg
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 05:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
http://www.sfsignal.com/mt-static/images/snacks.jpg
are those beef jerky goalposts?
i like to think they are...

and a twinkie faceade -- smart idea, due to their incredibly long shelf life...