Reason teens hate their parents

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 09:00 am
Well at least this one kid.

Teen cringes as Utah father dresses in costume every day to wave at his bus. This guy really needs a job.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/06/10/061011-news-bus-dad-1-2/

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 09:05 am
@Linkat,
I listened to a radio interview with that dad last week. He was kinda cool (in a way a teenager would hate).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 09:08 am
@Linkat,
Yeah, that made the rounds on Facebook, a lot of local parents thought that was the awesomest thing ever. Very Happy
chai2

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 10:43 am
@Linkat,
Really?

I read about this dad, and looked at the pictures last week.

I'm betting the son was the most popular kid on the bus by the end of the year.

My personal fav was the Princess Leia costume.

Just picture what Gargamel is going to be like when he becomes a dad.
chai2

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 10:45 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Yeah, that made the rounds on Facebook, a lot of local parents thought that was the awesomest thing ever. Very Happy

Oh...didn't see this.

What did the kids have to say about it?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 10:46 am
@chai2,
http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2011/06/06/dress-up-dad.html

Quote:
Many of the costumes were given to Price by his neighbours. "You would be shocked by the things neighbours have hiding in their closets." He said.

Within a few months, it wasn't just neighbours who became invested into the little stunt but also the bus driver and the kids on the bus who looked forward to seeing what Price would come up with next.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 10:47 am
@chai2,
My daughters would be horrified.

I am banned from doing certain things that would embarass them. At a recent softball playoff game (my little one's first playoff game) - the other parents would get up and do the wave whenever one of the kids scored. I, along with a grandmother, did not participate.

My daughter thanked me profusely for not participating in the wave.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 10:51 am
@chai2,
I didn't see much from the kids directly, the first mom who posted it said her son (10th grade?) thought it was hilarious, but warned her NOT to get any ideas. (She's the type who would totally do something like that.)

But yeah, the articles I read (I haven't followed links here yet) said the kids on the bus were waving back and looking forward to it after a while, and after initial mortification the son came around.

edit: hadn't seen Beth's post, that's the kind of thing I was referring to.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 12:19 pm
My personal favorite is Princess Leia.

http://downloads.thedaily.com/ui-images/2011/06/10/061011-news-bus-dad-3-ss-662w.jpg
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 01:08 pm
@JPB,
For those wanting the pleasure of seeing this man as princess leia

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t5zh0TfRB58/TcGceRnkWuI/AAAAAAAAAuQ/5nuyCMeYCF4/s1600/PrincessLeia.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 01:23 pm
This guy is wonderful..
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 01:25 pm
@ossobuco,
One great thing is you can use this against your kids....just think if you do abc or if you don't do abc....this is what will happen to you...and then show them the pix of this dad.

I honestly could picture my dad doing this and thoroughingly enjoying it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 01:27 pm
I heard the interview too. I loved doing this to my kids. I embarrassed them all the time, especially when they were small. Reveled in it actually.
I used to sing at the top of my lungs when we were out in public and other silly things. It's fun and eventually they get over their shyness and had fun too.
My daughter's highschool grad, silent auction fundraiser was a classic example. It happened to coincide with Diwali. I was invited to a party later with some Sikh friends later. I thought I'd wear a Punjabi suit, it's dressy and covers both occasions well.
When I walked into the ballroom, she took one look at me, blushed and hid her face in her hands. Then yelped, "Oh Mom, Why?" I laughed. Her friends told her later that they thought it was cool, including a boy she was sweet on. Their mom's would never be caught dead in what I was wearing and they wished their mother's would. This is pretty close to what I wore.
http://salwarkameezonline.com/images/newcollection/punjabisalwarkameez77z.jpg
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 01:32 pm
@Ceili,
The funny thing is - when as a parent you do something kind of fun and cool - all your kids' friends think it is cool - but your own kids find it embarassing.

They want you to be a "regular" mom or dad - at least that is what they tell me. I do different things - just being me - not weird ones (or to be part of the crowd) like "normal" parents ie - the wave.

My daughters seem to always want me on the field trips - the other kids say I am nice (I am great at bribing children with treats and bring music that is "appropriate" but of their interest - crap like that). I know usually when to remain the parent distance away and when to be "involved" in the conversations.
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 01:33 pm
@Linkat,
Or at least I assume I have the balance - seeing they always want me on their field trips and at their sporting and school events.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 02:57 pm
This is something that kids won't appreciate until they are about 30.

When they bury Dad, everyone will talk about how cool he was.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 02:59 pm
@Linkat,
I guess from the kid's perspective there's nothing worse than sticking out and being different - it's high risk in young social groups. It might work and everyone will think you're cool or more likely they'll think you're a loser and ostracize you.

Considering kids' risk taking behaviours in other areas of their lives it is kind of odd how they are terrified of their parents attracting attention.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 03:09 pm
@JPB,
Heh, some of those look a lot like some of the Halloween costumes I used to come up with to wear to work for our pot-luck lunch parties.

Very scary.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 03:11 pm
@Linkat,
I see the likeness.. I rarely use the overused word, amazing, but it's amazing.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 03:16 pm
@hingehead,
I used to tell my kids that their job was to push the envelope on what I'd let them get away with as far as possible and my job was to look for ways to embarrass them whenever possible. We could both due our jobs well -- them pushing the envelope and me finding multiple ways to embarrass them -- or we could come to an agreement whereby I'd stay within their comfort zone if they stayed within mine.

It worked out pretty well for the most part.
0 Replies