Why does my cat keep shitting on the goddammed floor?!

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 05:43 pm
Rocky is getting old (almost 16 years old), and he's had diabetes for several years now, but this is new, and it's really frustrating. Every so often I'll come home and there will just be a pile of **** right on the floor, nowhere near the litterbox. I can't take it much longer! Any suggestions? Is this just another symptom of old age? Any cat owners here ever gone through this?

Arella Mae

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 05:54 pm
@kickycan,
When cats get older they can fall into all kinds of different behaviors. But, sometimes the change in behavior is due to some stress. Cats stress very easily and if your cat is that old then he may stress even easier. First thing to do is think if there have been any major changes in your home? Has he gotten angry at you lately? Cats sometimes do hold a grudge and it seems their best weapon is doing just what your cat is doing. If none of that applies then I suggest you take the cat to a vet because he may have something physically wrong with him and this is how he is displaying it. I know how frustrating it is. Been there and done that. Cats can pick up on your emotions so try to treat him the same as always.
kickycan

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 06:03 pm
@Arella Mae,
Thank you. I can't think of anything that has changed over the last few months. And I'm still around as much as I always was.

His back legs are a little weak due to nerve damage from when he first got diabetes. Could it be that the nerve damage is getting worse, or maybe the nerve damage has slowly over time somehow lead to the degeneration of his bowel control? Or his sphincter muscle control even?
littlek

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 06:06 pm
Kicky. You know what advice you'll get here. Bring the Rockster to the vet.
Arella Mae

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 06:25 pm
@kickycan,
Most definitely I'd say. I think littlek is right kicky, take him to the vet and let the vet see if he can figure out what is going on.
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 06:29 pm
@kickycan,
Get blood. DM is a dynamic condition, and age-related changes can mean a change in the treatment plan. Or something else might be wrong. Or he's getting senile. Or he hates you.

(Along with all the usual checks, like -- is his box clean? Is it big enough for him? Does he not like the litter you're using? Usually those result in the cat also pissing outside the box, though, and I doubt you're enough of a pig to live with a dirty litter box in a NYC apartment.)
kickycan

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 06:50 pm
@littlek,
I know. I thought I'd try here first, hoping I'd get lucky and find someone here who had a similar experience.
djjd62

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 06:54 pm
maybe he's tired of shtanding Razz
kickycan

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 06:59 pm
@patiodog,
Thanks. The litterbox has actually been an issue in the past. Over the past year I've tried a lower-sided litterbox when he seemed to be having trouble stepping over the sides of this one, but when I did that, due to the position that he likes to pee in, he would pee over the edge of the box and on to the floor. When I put the cover of that one back on top he peed on the bottom of the cover, which was not optimum, so I went back to this taller-sided box. Which worked fine for a long time.

Hmmm...might be worth looking into a different litterbox again.
kickycan

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:00 pm
@djjd62,
Ha!
0 Replies

littlek

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:04 pm
@kickycan,
Egads - older cats do tend to be hard to accommodate. I wish I could help given that Screech was an older cat with diabetes. But, he didn't have that issue.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:06 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

I know. I thought I'd try here first, hoping I'd get lucky and find someone here who had a similar experience.

Miranda began shitting on my bed from time to time when she got old.

Sometimes it was because the litter tray wasn't clean enough, sometimes because, well, she was a dry pooher and it just didn't all come out....sometimes, I think, because she just got plain confused.

is it generally in the same spot? Because, if it is, you might want to really clean it and put some repellent there.

And follow P'Dawg's advice...

But sometimes I think it can just be a part of the deal with old animals.
kickycan

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:18 pm
@dlowan,
Well it's definitely not for lack of a clean litterbox. I just cleaned it yesterday and put a new liner in there. It hasn't really been in the same spot, but kind of in the same general area of the floor, except for the one time he did it on the chair that he likes to sleep in. I guess I can be thankful that he's always crapped on the hardwood floor and not on a rug.

Did you find a way to remedy the shitting situation with your cat or did you just have to be super vigilant with the litter box and hope for the best?
shewolfnm

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:21 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

except for the one time he did it on the chair that he likes to sleep in.

maybe his ass is going numb...literally.. and he doesnt feel it
shewolfnm

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:23 pm
flash gordon used to do that a lot. Just randomly **** any where. After a while he found my clothes, or towels or easy thin rugs as ideal shitting spots.
He died before I could shove that **** back in his ass and make him dump it in the right spot though...
kickycan

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:24 pm
@shewolfnm,
A definite possibility.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:25 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Well it's definitely not for lack of a clean litterbox. I just cleaned it yesterday and put a new liner in there. It hasn't really been in the same spot, but kind of in the same general area of the floor, except for the one time he did it on the chair that he likes to sleep in. I guess I can be thankful that he's always crapped on the hardwood floor and not on a rug.

Did you find a way to remedy the shitting situation with your cat or did you just have to be super vigilant with the litter box and hope for the best?

Miranda's pooh was pretty dry, so I was just vigilant in cleaning up, and with the box, and learned to live with it when it happened.

i would have found stinkier pooh a real problem.

by which I mean, if it's a deal breaker for you, after you have done what you can to deal with it, I understand
Reyn

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:37 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:
Hmmm...might be worth looking into a different litterbox again.

Yes, I would try that if you keep the litter box really clean.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:43 pm
@kickycan,
I'm irrationally pleased that Rocky is still alive. I thought this was going to be about a new cat.
ossobuco

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 07:48 pm
@sozobe,
me too.

Dare I mention being glad to see the Kick.

No, ok, backs off.