Why does my cat keep shitting on the goddammed floor?!

kickycan

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 10:50 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
kicky, I'm thinking of the senility thing. Does he seem confused in other ways?

re the ramp going up the box.
when we first did that for lulu, she'd climb off the ramp into the box, then piss down it, or ****.
we moved the angle of the ramp to that when she got in her ass could not hang over it.
I know you said rocky hangs his ass over the box, but you can't move the ramp to accomodate that?

Like soz, I was surprised rocky was still around.

You've been a good dad.

I can't really tell if he's confused. How do you tell if a cat's confused? He still goes to the water and the food dishes and still follows me around looking for a touch or a pet, like he always has. I don't know. I don't know about this ramp idea, but I do have the shorter-sided litterbox somewhere, so maybe I'll bring that back out and put it somewhere near the other one so he can have a choice?

I have been a good dad, haven't I. But does he ever send me a card or give me a "World's greatest cat-dad" mug? NOO-ooo! Selfish kitty!
kickycan

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 10:51 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella! Cool to see you too!
0 Replies

kickycan

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 10:53 pm
@patiodog,
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Ha! A few more floor-dumps and I'll seriously consider it.
jcboy

Thu 16 Jun, 2011 03:59 am
@kickycan,
I have two cats, 14 and 15 years old. They belonged to my mother and when she passed away ten years ago I took care of them. One has puked 3 to 4 times a week since it was a kitten. He’s been to different vets over the years and they have no idea why he pukes so much, this cat pukes where ever and when ever he likes. More then once in my shoes!
0 Replies

Old Goat

Thu 16 Jun, 2011 05:54 am
Our family had two cats when I was a youngster, one of whom took a liking to shatting in my plastic US Army helmet, which I always wore when playing war in the local woods.
Now, every time I get a whiff of cat poo, my mind is whisked back to those carefree days of hiding in various bushes with a rifle shaped stick, waiting for a friend to stray along so I could ambush him, whilst wondering what that funny smell was.

My advice would be to go out and purchase a toy helmet, as cats seem to like using them.

0 Replies

patiodog

Thu 16 Jun, 2011 06:09 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Can I ask you a cat-related question Patio?

Well, I will, but you don't have to answer.

I am told I have to treat my kittens every month against heart worm. They are indoor, but will still be exposed to mosquitoes.

Is monthly really necessary?

Monthly is only necessary if you want it to work. The drug only works against the larvae the mosquitoes pass to the animal -- after a few weeks they've matured to another larval stage and the drug won't do anything. We generally call it preventative treatment, but it's really a larvicide (for heartworms -- ivermectin and milbemycin also kill several other worms).

I don't know enough about the epizoology of heartworm in your location to hazard a guess as to whether prevention is warranted in a cat (they don't appear to be as susceptible as dogs are, but the consequences of infestation tend to be more severe).
dlowan

Thu 16 Jun, 2011 06:23 am
@patiodog,
Thank you.

Have you seen my new kittens thread?

How are you.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 16 Jun, 2011 08:40 am
@kickycan,
Reminds me of the father's day card I got my husband - that is supposed to be from the dog.

"I poop, you scoop - like we were made for each other"
0 Replies

Ragman

Thu 16 Jun, 2011 11:26 am
@kickycan,
Anytime, Kicky.
I wish you the best with this. Hope it all turns out as well as possible.
Have you thought about drawing the cat a schematic?

Or maybe writing out in Cat language what a good alternate behavior might be? Or what your beahvior might be if he doesn't cease and desist?
0 Replies

kickycan

Sun 26 Jun, 2011 12:44 pm
Mystery solved. It was something I never thought of. He's blind!

I took him to the vet and, six hundred dollars later, that's the verdict. I never thought of that, since he would follow me around the house, but I guess he was following the sound of my footsteps? Or maybe he still has enough sight to see some shapes? I don't know. He also has a urinary tract infection, plus, the vet thinks something else might be going on as well, which I'll know for certain in a couple days when his incredibly expensive blood test results come back.

So now I've got two litterboxes. One where it always was, and one in the middle of the floor where he seems to end up copping a squat when he's confused. And I now have to give him antibiotics every 12 hours by squirting it into his mouth. This is along with the insulin shots I already give him every 12 hours. Plus he throws up every couple days and I never know when, where or how (sometimes I get real lucky and get to step in it with my bare feet!) I'll find those squishy little surprises. I've started looking into places that will put him to sleep. Not going that route right now, but soon, I think. Poor little Rocky. He's been a good roommate for many years.

Awww, and just as I finished writing this, he took a big dump, not on the floor but in the litterbox, just as he should. Isn't that nice of him. Good boy, Rocky, Good boy.
Ragman

Sun 26 Jun, 2011 01:24 pm
@kickycan,
Rocky heard you typing about him. He knows his ****!

Seriously, at feline elder-age, cats are subject to blindness and kidney or some urological problems - not unlike humans. Sometimes, with some good luck, the antibiotics fix the litter box problem. You've heard of Lo-jack, right...for finding lost cars? How about installing a Lo-shat on your cat?
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:04 pm
@kickycan,
Awwwwww Kicky, that's sad.

You've been a good dad.

(((((((((((((((Kicky and Rocky)))))))))))

0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:28 pm
@kickycan,
Oh, dammit. Well, you have some time now together.
I'm sorry, Kick.

Funny how one can tear about someone else's pet.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:40 pm
@kickycan,
Ahh Rocky's getting old eh. I was just looking at some photos of him in his big black shiny beauty. Lovely playful fella.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 26 Jun, 2011 05:50 pm
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268209_10150220919115770_561310769_7729326_1504095_n.jpg
dlowan

Sun 26 Jun, 2011 05:51 pm
@ehBeth,
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Mon 27 Jun, 2011 01:48 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Mystery solved. It was something I never thought of. He's blind!

I took him to the vet and, six hundred dollars later, that's the verdict. I never thought of that, since he would follow me around the house, but I guess he was following the sound of my footsteps? Or maybe he still has enough sight to see some shapes? I don't know. He also has a urinary tract infection, plus, the vet thinks something else might be going on as well, which I'll know for certain in a couple days when his incredibly expensive blood test results come back.

So now I've got two litterboxes. One where it always was, and one in the middle of the floor where he seems to end up copping a squat when he's confused. And I now have to give him antibiotics every 12 hours by squirting it into his mouth. This is along with the insulin shots I already give him every 12 hours. Plus he throws up every couple days and I never know when, where or how (sometimes I get real lucky and get to step in it with my bare feet!) I'll find those squishy little surprises. I've started looking into places that will put him to sleep. Not going that route right now, but soon, I think. Poor little Rocky. He's been a good roommate for many years.

Awww, and just as I finished writing this, he took a big dump, not on the floor but in the litterbox, just as he should. Isn't that nice of him. Good boy, Rocky, Good boy.
Don't worry about him being blind. I have a cat that is blind and you would never know it. Once he adapts to being blind he'll be just fine. Patches is so funny. She cannot see a thing but you let a fly or any bug get in my house and she is right on top of it. I'm glad you found out what was going on. Did the vet say how your cat went blind? Here is Patches or Miss Buddha Belly as I call her.

http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/7638/buddhabelly.jpg

0 Replies

kickycan

Wed 29 Jun, 2011 08:11 am
I like that picture, Ehbeth! Thanks. It's easy to forget how playful he was now that he's getting to the end.

I'm still unconvinced that it's the blindness that's causing him to crap on the floor though. If that were the case, why isn't he peeing on the floor too? And why would he still be able to make it to the box sometimes? I think it's just old age and him not being able to control his bowels. Either way, I can't do this much longer, and I still have no good solutions.

I'm not going to comment further on this because I don't want to turn this into a death watch for kitty thread, so let me just say thanks to everyone for the help and ideas. Thanks!

Linkat

Wed 29 Jun, 2011 08:25 am
@kickycan,
Just to let you know, I recently went through this with my aging kitty - she wasn't pooping too much everywhere (probably because she stopped eating) - but she was going.

I know how it feels - tough to watch them and all you can do is comfort them as much as possible.
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 29 Jun, 2011 04:59 pm
@kickycan,
Be thinking of you hon. This bit's not easy.
0 Replies