Why does my cat keep shitting on the goddammed floor?!

Eva

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 09:14 pm
@ossobuco,
What? We can't say "hi" to Kicky? Where is that written?

I'm gonna take my chances.

HI, KICKY!!! Long time no see!

On another thread, someone mentioned an older cat having trouble getting in & out of a high-sided litter box. They put a wide board up against one side of the box as a ramp, and the cat started using it again. You might try that?
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 09:23 pm
@kickycan,
I think he's doing it just to get you to come back here so that we know that you're alive and well.

(Thanks Rocky! Whose a good boy? You are.)
kickycan

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 09:29 pm
Wow, hellos from Soz, Osso and Eva! Three of my favorite people on this site! Great to see you guys also.

Bad news though, he just did it again. And I missed it again! Jesus Christ.

This time he got a part of it on the top edge of the inside of the box, and then he left the box and left three more partial craps (sticky and horrible) on the floor as he walked around. And then part of his tail was all covered in crap, which I had to then clean off. And as we all know that's more fun than just about anything else in this world!

I can't wait until Friday when my parents are coming to stay with me! I'm sure they'll be thrilled with all this good fun!
0 Replies

kickycan

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 09:39 pm
@boomerang,
Hi Boomerang!
kickycan

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 09:40 pm
@kickycan,
I've decided that I'm going to stop the problem at it's source. I am going to stop feeding him. Nothing to eat, nothing to poop, no **** on the floor. Foolproof!
ragnel

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 09:54 pm
@kickycan,
Are there such things as cat diapers?
Eva

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 10:08 pm
@ragnel,
Surely not. I feel fairly certain that anyone who tried to test such an invention would have been killed.
0 Replies

Ragman

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 10:16 pm
@kickycan,
Sorry to see your cat (and you) is/are distressed. Often it can be a sign of old age (senility or bad kidneys), but there's a ray of hope. Sometimes it can be a sign of a minor kidney problem or dietary issue. have you changed the cat's diet..switching foods. I hope you don't give the cat any dairy products. If you do, then eliminate them yesterday.

One of the first things to do when a litterbox problem happens in an elder cat (besides plugging his butt up) is to get the cat tested by the vet. It could be something harmless or minor. Can be a parasite or something in its physical or dietary environment that is uspetting the cat. Vet will rule this out with blood tests and/or a stool sample (cat..not your's).

[Edit: OK bypassing all this info I wrote...without checking the thread.
Put the litter box back exactly where it was originally. Check and make sure the littlerbox liners are not perfumed or are different in any way. Make sure it's the same litter you had been using. If you haven't already done it, have his diabetes meds checked to see if they're adequate.]

The ramp idea for the litter box is a wise move too.

Something has changed for Rocky..and he votes on those changes with his butt!

lastly, don't feed him anything after 7pm.
Linkat

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:46 am
@dlowan,
I had a similar situation. And same thing as dlowan, I'd just clean it up. Didn't happen all the time, but here and there. Fortunately like dlowan it was more dry (this is gross conversation) so it wasn't really an problem with ruining rugs - but just add this to the issue - my dog would eat it so I definately had to keep an eye out for it.
0 Replies

chai2

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 08:09 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

flash gordon used to do that a lot. Just randomly **** any where. After a while he found my clothes, or towels or easy thin rugs as ideal shitting spots.
He died before I could shove that **** back in his ass and make him dump it in the right spot though...

I didn't know flash gordon died Confused

kicky, I'm thinking of the senility thing. Does he seem confused in other ways?

re the ramp going up the box.
when we first did that for lulu, she'd climb off the ramp into the box, then piss down it, or ****.
we moved the angle of the ramp to that when she got in her ass could not hang over it.
I know you said rocky hangs his ass over the box, but you can't move the ramp to accomodate that?

Like soz, I was surprised rocky was still around.

You've been a good dad.
chai2

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 08:13 am
@chai2,
Oh, I forgot about when Princess Jezzery-Doo was getting old.

She decided she was going to piss in the dining room, and that's all there was too it.
So, until she died, that's where the litter box was.
Can you get several of those cheap disposible trays and put them in the spots he's taken a dump?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 09:14 am
@ragnel,
http://www.petgadgets.com/Images/catlg1.jpg

(4,930,000+ hits on google.ca - "diapers for cats")
Bella Dea

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 10:23 am
Kicky!

hm. no advice as I own dogs.
Eva

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 05:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Honestly, does ANYONE here have a cat who would put up with that diaper contraption for more than 5 seconds?

I've never had a cat who would have held still long enough for me to get it on him or her...much less keep it on. That thing looks like a good way to spend an evening in the emergency room.
patiodog

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 05:36 pm
You know, kick, my senile dog has started to forget to piss when she's outside, then she pisses next to the kitchen later on. Since the low point of the kitchen floor is under the stove, that's where most of it ends up.

I propose that you take this dog into your apartment. As her kidneys aren't very good, her urine is pretty innocuous, and she'd almost certainly eat your cat's ****, and possibly the cat itself, eliminating that source of irritation for you.

(I would also suggest that this is not likely to be a long-term commitment, but I thought she'd die years ago and she's outlived a number of apparently younger and healthier dogs I've known.)

What do you think?
ossobuco

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 05:49 pm
@Eva,
Such a great reply.
0 Replies

chai2

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:17 pm
@patiodog,
Sigh, their last time with us can be quite trying.

I hope someone's as patient with me.

patiodog

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:29 pm
@chai2,
Given the powerful but completely irrational association I have between this dog's arrival and my first and dearest dog getting cancer, I have to admit that she doesn't get quite the patience she deserves.

Which is all the more reason for kicky to take the poor old girl, of course.
dlowan

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:49 pm
@patiodog,
Can I ask you a cat-related question Patio?

Well, I will, but you don't have to answer.

I am told I have to treat my kittens every month against heart worm. They are indoor, but will still be exposed to mosquitoes.

Is monthly really necessary?

kickycan

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 10:44 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks for the advice. I have been thinking that I may be wrong about the litterbox being the problem now, because 9 out of ten times he goes in there just like he should. So how could that be it? I have to check his medication, that's a definite. Anyway, thanks for your advice.