Why are there still cat-owners on this site?

Montana

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 04:46 pm
I would have a cat if my son wouldn't let it in his room, but I know he would. His allergies are getting better as he gets older, but not enough to be around them all the time.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 04:47 pm
Good to know that you won't hunt them CJ ;-)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 04:53 pm
Well, allergies and the fact that my dad shot a rabbit once that turned out to be a feral cat. I told him he had to eat it...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 05:23 pm
Adrian wrote:
Dogs are so bloody needy they're worse than women.

HOWL

<ducks>
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 06:05 pm
I believe there are two kinds of people in this world, cat lovers or dog lovers.

I'm allergic to cats and trust me, I can smell, no feel them whenever I enter a cat house. I can't have them near me but for some strange reason, they like me. I'm not allergic to rabbits but I am to horses. I absolutly adore horses but I canna have them either.
I like dogs, not ankle biters, but great big hounds.
Big dogs are goofy, they suit me fine.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:08 pm
There's no question about it. Cats are better than dogs.

- I've never had a cat bark at me.
- I've never had a cat chew up the house.
- I've never had a cat get dog slobber all over me.
- I've never had a dog sleep in my lap and purr.

QED
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:18 pm
Jim wrote:

- I've never had a cat bark at me.
- I've never had a cat chew up the house.
- I've never had a cat get dog slobber all over me.
- I've never had a dog sleep in my lap and purr.

I agree with Jim.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:36 pm
So, can you describe just how a cat house smells, Ceili?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:43 pm
It's kind of musky - dusty, but it's more of a heaviness to the air, I can feel the scent on my skin. I can't really describe it better than that. Sorry.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:44 pm
A few years ago my neighbor had a few cats and was building a house for them outside. His daughter of five years old rode her bike up and down the street telling everyone that her daddy was building a cat house.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:29 am
For the record, I like both cats and dogs and currently have one of each sharing my domicile. The cat is three times the size of the dog.

However, I must sadly concur with Bear. If I died and nobody found my body, and both pets were locked in the house with me, the dog would mourn. The cat would feast.

It's a good thing I won't care then...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:43 pm
http://store6.yimg.com/I/kittycity_1771_9799129
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:45 pm
http://store6.yimg.com/I/kittycity_1771_10207421
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:55 pm
I like cats and men.

Moreover, I like men who like cats.

Ditto with dogs....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 08:04 pm
As a Cat, Have the Responsibility of a Household to Run

DOORS: About them...
Do not allow closed doors in any room. To get one open, stand on hind legs and hammer with forepaws. Once the door is opened for you, it is not necessary to use it. You can change your mind.
When you have ordered an outdoor door opened, stand half-in and half-out and think about several things (particularly important during very cold weather or mosquito season).
Doors swinging: Avoid.

GUESTS: About them...
After dinner, when walking on the dinner table among the dishes, be prepared to look surprised and hurt when scolded. The idea to convey is, "But you let me do it when there isn't company!"
Determine quickly which guest hates cats. Sit on that lap during the evening. You will know him because he will call you "nice kitty." If you can arrange to leave "Puss 'n Boots" on your breath, so much the better.
For sitting in laps or rubbing against trouser legs, select colors which contrast with your own. Example: for white-furred cats, a good black wool is best.
Never eat food from your own bowl if you can steal some from the table. Never drink from your own water bowl if their glass is full enough to drink from.
When supervising cooking, sit just behind the left heel of the cook. This way you cannot be seen and, therefore, stand a better chance of being stepped on, picked up and soothed.
If one of them is sewing, or working with paper and pens, and the other is idle, sit with the busy one. This is called hampering. Following are the main tips for hampering:
For book readers, get in close under the chin. Unless, of course, you can lie across the book itself.
For ladies knitting, curl quietly into lap and pretend to doze. Then reach out and slap knitting needles sharply. This causes what she calls a "dropped stitch." She will try to distract you with a ball of yarn, which is ridiculous. Ignore it.

TYPEWRITERS: About them...
Be alert! Do not let typing occur without your attention. By sitting on the lap of the typist, you can place elbows on the top, making it convenient to play with the keys, which go up and down, and with the long things inside. If biting paper is in order, wait until typist has completed one perfect page.

USEFUL INFO
For people paying bills (monthly activity) or working on income taxes or Christmas cards (annual activities), keep in mind the aim: to hamper. First, sit on the paper being worked on. When dislodged, watch sadly from the side of the table. When activity proceeds nicely, roll around on the papers, scattering them to the best of your ability. After being removed for the second time, push pens, pencils, and erasers off of table one at a time.
Get enough sleep in the daytime so that you are fresh for playing catch-mouse or king-of-the-hill on the bed between 2 and 4 a.m.
If you become bored with your diet, immediately after food is placed into dish, try to cover it with the newspaper under your bowl - sometimes this can even result in your fresh bowl of water being tipped over.
If you have to throw up, get into a chair quickly, or the davenport. If you cannot manage this in time, get to an Oriental rug. Lacking an Oriental rug, shag is good.
Start this training early, and you will have a smooth-running household. Humans need only to know a few basic rules which they can be taught readily if one starts in time!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 08:07 pm
BrandX, I can assure you, cats smell a lot more of you than you do of them.

I have two cats, they are very clean, and so is my home.

Perhaps new friends are in order for you?

I don't even mind a few cat hairs around once in a while, they're worth it, and if that's the only detriment, hey, bring them on!

It's like anything else in life, a matter of balance, and cats have it down to a "T" ............
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:25 pm
Possum told me to suggest that Stilly go somewhere else, and not sprout such nonsense!

It's only his opinion, but.........
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 09:09 pm
I love both dogs and cats, both rather keenly. I am horribly allergic to cats (and rabbits and guinea pigs..) and some dogs. Luckily m'Pacco somehow manages to not cause a lot of allergic reaction, a big relief as he is a hair machine. He apparently is unusually unsmelly. (I dunno, have a poor sense of smell).

I won't say anything bad about cats, but I treasure my dog's direct love.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 09:17 pm
margo wrote:
Possum told me to suggest that Stilly go somewhere else, and not sprout such nonsense!

It's only his opinion, but.........

<In lifeless monotone>

"....I have no free will. I am a willing tool of the FOG (Feline Occupation Government".

From off screen, "Nyow, nyow, NYow! Nyow Margo, nyOW?"

"Yes, my fish-breathed master, the message has been delivered".

"NYOW NYOW!!! Hack, hack, cough, spit, URRGGHHHH!!"

"Oh, a hairball! For me? How thoughtful!!".
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 09:27 pm
Gus, I still don't get the joke. Embarrassed (And I've been called a tart!)

I'm allergic to cats and dogs but would never be without either one. Each has its own kind of love and affection and I find each to be a little bit of heaven.

Mr. Stillwater, love the Cat's Housekeeping Responsibilities.

Right now, we only have a parrot called Fred. He is a little like both a dog and a cat. Bossy, loud, affectionate, selfish, grooms consstantly and poops anywhere he chooses. What's not to love?
0 Replies