Atheism speak your mind about religion

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 08:48 am
I think this is the appropriate to recommend Reckless Kelly, by the Australian film legend, Yahoo Serious.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 10:24 am
@Setanta,
Did you like the movie?

Reckless Kelly original trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZlYi7w9rVM
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 01:01 pm
@Setanta,
My bad I think that you were referring to this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB678qpcXbc
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 08:56 am
1 My Christian Life!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Evid3nc3#p/c/A0C3C1D163BE880A/0/mSy1-Q_BEtQ

2.0 Deconversion: The God Concept
http://www.youtube.com/user/Evid3nc3#p/c/A0C3C1D163BE880A/0/mSy1-Q_BEtQ
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 09:51 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning you may be a nice person and all, but honestly you are doing what so many others do, aren't you? You don't believe so you are trying to give plenty of evidence so others don't believe? You have never come right out and said what you do or don't believe. I can only gather from what you have posted that you are not a believer.

There are lots of believers and non-believers here on A2K. One thing I have learned about this forum is there really aren't that many that really just want to fight and get nasty with debating. It seems most of the people want to have intelligent, civil discussions. I would imagine that is why not many are posting in response to your thread. You aren't putting much of you into it.

I was curious about this thread because of the title of it. Then you started asking questions and I thought maybe, just maybe, you wanted a real discussion. But all you have done is post video after video of OTHER people's experiences and thoughts. It seems to me that you are trying to be inflammatory in doing this. If I am wrong, I sincerely apologize.

I can't talk to those videos and neither can anyone else. If you truly want to know something then I think it is better to ask it yourself. But, I am not going to follow this thread anymore only to be directed to some video of some other person.
Dasein

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:21 am
@Arella Mae,
I posted this in another thread. I thought you might find it interesting.
reasoning logic wrote:
Here is something to think about! If I am not mistaken there was a time when man did not lie nor sin but this was very long ago!
It was a primordial thing. Heidegger calls it “resoluteness”. When the 'cover-up' began, we began covering up the phenomenon of life and the phenomenon of 'self' with the concepts of life. Our 'throwness' is to cover-up the phenomenon of life and self and it is the 'thrownness' of every human, 'Be'-ing, on the planet. That 'throwness' will stay with everybody until the moment of their demise.

To uncover who you are and remind your 'self' of what you already know, you have to disentangle your 'self' from the labyrinth of 'conceptual deception' we call the 'world'. You have to realize that you can no longer look into the world for 'meaning' and that 'meaning' comes from you 'Be'-ing who you are. Without 'you', 'Be'-ing, there is no 'meaning' or 'truth'.

After reading Being and Time by Martin Heidegger almost 74 times over the past 15 years I have reached what Heidegger calls "resoluteness". "Irresoluteness" is when you are inundated by the concepts of the world and you are unsure (confused) of the difference between who you are and the world of the 'they' you participate in. "Resoluteness" is the 'clearing' you take with you that allows you to be aware of your "thrownness" without allowing you to become irresolute.

The “sin” and the “lie” you mentioned is the cover-up.

All religion is based on the “sin” and the “lie” (the cover-up). Since the 'sin' and the 'lie' is our 'throwness' we are all 'guilty' of 'irresoluteness'. It is this 'guilt' that religion uses to hold our 'salvation' hostage.

I also posted the 'definitions' of 'Resoluteness' and 'Irresoluteness' in that other thread. You will find them in the thread entitled "what is the beggining of philosophy?" (Somebody else's spelling)
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:22 am
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
It seems most of the people want to have intelligent, civil discussions. I would imagine that is why not many are posting in response to your thread. You aren't putting much of you into it.

I was curious about this thread because of the title of it. Then you started asking questions and I thought maybe, just maybe, you wanted a real discussion. But all you have done is post video after video of OTHER people's experiences and thoughts. It seems to me that you are trying to be inflammatory in doing this. If I am wrong, I sincerely apologize.

I can't talk to those videos and neither can anyone else. If you truly want to know something then I think it is better to ask it yourself.

I do apologize for the videos that are interesting to me but not being interesting to you!

I share some of the key thoughts as some of the videos but not all of the videos because some videos that I share may be for humor or just to see what kind of response that others may have toward them.

I am not very good at in depth conversations, "it may be because my lack of ability to share my thoughts as well as I would like to and that I find others out there that are far more informed than I and are able to speak using a more skilled way of framing their thoughts, not to mention I am very slow at typing.

I like to question and be questioned by others, there is nothing that is to taboo for me to question myself about. This is how I find my flaws in my understanding of reality!
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:25 am
@reasoning logic,
You are never going to learn how to get good at conversing unless you try.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:26 am
@Dasein,
Daesin, please do not be offended by this but mankind has since the beginning of time tried to eliminate the concept of right and wrong.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:32 am
@Arella Mae,
I do try and I do think I have come a long way. I have only been trying to better myself in this area for the past 3 years about as long as I have been typing.

What can I say, "I am a slow learner it may take me some time to reach the level that you would find satisfactory.
Dasein

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:32 am
@Arella Mae,
I'm not talking about right and wrong!
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:41 am
@Arella Mae,
One other thing. Starting a conversation with "please do not be offended" tells me that you came to a conclusion early on and stopped thinking. Reducing what I wrote to the "concept of right and wrong" tells me volumes about you and I won't spend any more of my time with you. Thanks.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:42 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I do try and I do think I have come a long way. I have only been trying to better myself in this area for the past 3 years about as long as I have been typing.

What can I say, "I am a slow learner it may take me some time to reach the level that you would find satisfactory.
I didn't mean I don't find it satisfactory. Seems the more I say the more you take offense. I'm not trying to do that.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:44 am
@Dasein,
Dasein wrote:

One other thing. Starting a conversation with "please do not be offended" tells me that you came to a conclusion early on and stopped thinking. Reducing what I wrote to the "concept of right and wrong" tells me volumes about you and I won't spend any more of my time with you. Thanks.
No, what it meant is I realize that what I say might be offensive and I don't intend it to be. I am sorry if I misunderstood what it is you were trying to say but I understood that to be about right and wrong. I know zip about philosophy. Sheesh, you always like this? A person screws up with you one time and BAM! they are gone?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:49 am
@Arella Mae,
I Know that you are kinder than that! I was just sharing with you why I think it may appear that I am not convening my thoughts as well as others are able to!

I am not trying to put myself down because I do think of myself to be fortunate even though I may have a bad memory and slow witted at times there are others who have even greater problems than me!
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:54 am
@reasoning logic,
I am glad you understand. You seem a rather delightful person to me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 11:00 am
@Dasein,
I read your post again. I have no idea what that is trying to say.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 11:06 am
@Arella Mae,
Don't feel alone, I find him to offer much to think about but it takes me a long time of thinking to understand him at times!
Chights47

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 02:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
You would be hard pressed to actually understand anything that Dasein, Guigus, and JPLosman0711 have to say on that topic. Any attempt to rationalize any of their statements only result in more confusion...believe me, I've tried.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 02:39 pm
@Chights47,
Some times people have good information to share but some times it is hard to distinguish those that are mental from those that are sane!
Could this be why we have so many different religions? There are to many people out there that have a different view of reality.

What I do is rely on their ability to make sense of it to me, if they can not I do not call them wrong but instead I call them, "not being able to convey their idea to me because it is either incorrect or I am not able to get it.