Bob Wells died today.

Diane

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 12:55 pm
@blatham,
I haven't replied properly to the posts on this extraordinary thread, but I do want to correct what some might take as Bob being a "druggie hippie," as the first part of the article posted by Bernie might suggest. Bob knew many of the geodesic dome home owners, and he was involved in many causes such as immigrant labor with Caesar Chavez and with CORE, registering voters. No sex, drugs and rock and roll hippie (although he looked the part), he was quite serious about cultural movements, mainly civil rights.

The only time he did drugs was when the Army was testing LSD at Harvard, University of Northern Colorado at Boulder and at UC Berkeley. At that time, you could go to the pharmacy and buy it legally.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:10 pm
everyone has something to say

honestly i dont.

cant is more like it.
I dont care how much he would argue with me about it, little bean remembers that trip. Even the ice in the cup.
She knew we were going again in a few days. Have not told her. Probably wont
dont know that i will drive though. not now.

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:11 pm
@Diane,
Oh my, what terrible news. I will forever regret never having shaken that man's hand. Rest in peace Bob. And Diane you have my deepest sympathies.
((((( Diane )))))
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Some photos from the San Francisco a2k meet in 2004 -

the first one not by me, but someone with the screen name bathmat on globe-combing.com:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/bathmat/NewYearsgingerbreadhouse111.jpg

We went there when it was known as Cafe Niebaum-Coppola; now it's Cafe Zoetrope, still a Coppola enterprise I think.

There's Bob, great jacket..
JJorge is to his left, then PDiddie, Mrs. PDiddie, Mrs. Cicerone Imposter, and across the table from her, Cicerone Imposter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/Coppolasa2k-1254.jpg?t=1306523482

Same folks, but now Diane's there.. I remember that Lola and Blatham arrived a little later.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/Coppolasa2k-2255.jpg?t=1306523482

Lola and Blatham, Dys and Diane, going into the Cafe Vesuvio in North Beach - next to the famed City Lights bookstore, which some of us also checked out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/VesuvioandLBDB253.jpg?t=1306523482
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:24 pm
I never met him in person, i'm glad for the photos people have provided.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:29 pm
@Diane,
Rest in Peace Dys.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:31 pm
Lola, I dunno - I don't think one can get the photos from Ravens Realm anymore, but if anyone can, it's Robert. You can probably ask him via "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page. I've been remembering some of those photos.
Bill, good to see you..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 02:38 pm
And least we forget, Bob invented the insegrevious paradigm.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 03:00 pm
Very sad news, Diane. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 03:16 pm
@farmerman,
hi farmerguy
Yes, the piece itself is something of a yuk. As Set suggests below, "hippy" probably isn't the best word to apply to Bob even then. I suspect these guys were more like dope-smoking, horny engineers with a seriously perpendicular relationship to authority. It was rather difficult not to sometimes feel a tad stupid and provincial when with Bob, not at all because he would have wished it, but simply because he was so bright and so much his own man. It felt like a significant accomplishment to toss in some idea he wasn't already familiar with. He never like good spellers, of course.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 03:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
hi asshole
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 03:22 pm
@ossobuco,
hugs
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 03:27 pm
Up above, before that asshole frankapisa posted and just before that other asshole joe posted, gargamel said of bob... "I thought of him as devoid of bullshit"

That's damned close to perfect.
blatham

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 03:36 pm
@dianne - sorry to get it wrong darlin
JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 04:21 pm
@blatham,
Bob sure left you guys with the fuel for lots of wild stuff. He WAS a force of nature.
Hi Frank, Bernie, Lola and Latham! Good to see that you are alright.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 04:21 pm
@blatham,
Those get togethersw looked like fun and Bob seemed quite animated .
The only thing that got me was that PDiddie is a white guy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 05:10 pm
Bob had a story about a cougar lying down near him, peaceful time. I hope Diane remembers the details better than I do.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 05:29 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Up above, before that asshole frankapisa posted and just before that other asshole joe posted, gargamel said of bob... "I thought of him as devoid of bullshit"

That's damned close to perfect.

Gotta agree.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 05:36 pm
I once created an elaborate scheme to have Bob banned. No one took it seriously and Bob's reaction was pretty funny.

I gave A2Kers an opportunity to vote on a poll to ban one of four A2K cliques. Each clique was a list of different names EXCEPT "dyslexia" appeared on all four lists. The old thread can be revisited at the following link (but the poll itself no longer appears).

http://able2know.org/topic/68527-1#post-1836609
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 06:34 pm
Lovely to see great people I miss a lot coming back to love and remember the dys.