Bob Wells died today.

blatham

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 08:20 am
One day out back of Bob and Dianne's house, yakking about a bazillion things (yakking with Bob required a challenging latitude of knowledge and interests just to follow along) Bob spoke once of being part of a group in Colorado who built an array of interlinking geodesic domes. As he spoke, I realized that I had read about these guys in the Rolling Stone or elsewhere at the time. I've found a Time magazine piece from the era that is quite possibly a reference to Bob and buddies (see "Drop City")... http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,899555-8,00.html
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 08:29 am
@blatham,
wow, Id never seen the word hippie used so much in a feature outside of Eric Cartmans rails on SOuth PArk.
If Bob was involved, itd be just one more adventure in what has turned out to be a well lived life. I envied his spirit, and his pioneer ways. A real renaissance man. (I even looked up Renaissance so I could spell it correctly since I often have problems with the proper amounts and order of letters in my chosen words).
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 08:45 am
I thought that was pretty strange, too--until i looked at the date of the article, which was in 1967. I'd never have seen Bob as a hippie, though. I always thought of him as a cowboy, not in the sense of a rounder/saddle tramp, but in the sense of independent sorts of people you often meet only in the West. I guess in the Midwest or the East, they are so far off in the woods that we don't see them.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 09:20 am
Here are my condolences.

I enjoyed his attitude and his wit. Both were so consistent I was always figured "Dys" and the fella behind him were probably very much alike. Which is another way of saying I thought of him as devoid of bullshit. The posts here from people who knew him personally suggest I was right about that.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 09:23 am
A gentle voice of common nonsense is silenced. I regret that I was never able to meet him in person.

A musical tribute to A2K's favorite anarchist:

0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 09:31 am
Diane, I am so, so sorry to hear this news. djjd and I came in to town for groceries and are sitting here stunned (at the coffee shop with wi-fi). I can't quite pull my thoughts together. I'm so glad I got the opportunity to meet you and Bob. He was one of a kind.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:07 am
I'm late in finding out but Shewolf just told me. Diane, my condolences to you.

He'll be missed.

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:13 am
Last night:
I am so sad to hear this. He was a beautiful friend and so gifted. I will
miss him. Now I'm going to go cry. j
Today:
Diane, Please let us know if we can help in any way. I am so sorry. Please let us know if we can help in any way. We all loved him so much. I'm glad we kept staying the last time we were with you. I could have sat on your back porch with you and Bob and Bernie forever. But we had to move on. The route Bob suggested for us to drive through Utah was hair raising.......but I forgave him. We have had some good times..........on top of a mountain, I'll never forget. And the other times as well. We're thinking of you.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Beva called Diane this morning to learn if there is anything she can do for her. Michael just left my home and is on his way to Diane's home. He will take care of everything she needs at this sad time. Michael is like a son to Diane and me and will be there for anything she needs. Butrflynet gave Michael a cantaloupe to take to Diane because we know she loves fruit.

BBB
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:20 am
<tears streaming down my face> I am at a complete loss for words and like so many others, my heart is very heavy.
Will always love Bob, who I call my "favorite cowboy"!

Diane, my heart is with you...
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:29 am
@Diane,
You have my deepest sympathy ...

http://www.popularvirals.com/images/condolences/condolences-0956.gif
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:36 am
There is a flatness
in the light today,
some missing grace,,
some empty space
where,
just moments, I know,,
just moments ago,
there was a birdsong
with high salted notes.

Rest in Peace, Dys,
you spiced us,
you Dys-ed us,
and we, dull things, are better
for having had the good fortune
to have known something of you.

Joe(so much better)Nation
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:53 am
Di...Jonathan just contacted me about Dys' passing...and I had to come back to let you know how sad I am. I hope you hold up well. I promised myself I would not mention the time Dys kicked me in the face when I was lying unconscious in a New York City gutter. Fact is, I've only got Jonathan and Bernie's word that it actually happened (and the scars, of course)...but there was no way I could actually leave something that dramatic out.

In keeping with the spirit of the "no past tense"...I love ya both.

Allow me to take this opportunity to say "Hi" to all my old friends here at the site. I love yez all too.

f.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
Wow, FA! I miss your witty writing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
Miss you, Frank.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:05 am
No one ever called me a dingbat the way that dys did. I used to get so aggravated with him until I realized what he was telling me was for my own good. I'm going to miss him. Miss Diane you were so blessed to be loved so much and so was dys.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
I remember that story. Frank actually passed out while having dinner with Dyslexia and Joe Nation. They graciously allowed other A2Kers to fill in the missing details on what happened at that legendary A2K gathering. Most hypotheses had Dyslexia doing something mean to Frank.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:24 am
@ossobuco,
Meant to say I miss Lola and Blatham on a2k too (and in regular life).
Lola

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 12:00 pm
I've just spent a lot of time reading through the "Western Gathering" thread. Good memories. But I can't seem to access the photos from Raven's Realm. Are those photos available by any means? There are some great shots of Dys, especially him, but of all of us, from the trip. I can't find them on my computer either. Any ideas?
Lola

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 12:02 pm
@Lola,
We miss you too Osso.
0 Replies