Bob Wells died today.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 02:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I remember less than you do, Walter, of stories, but stories will remind me of stories, which I then won't be able to detail. There was one about driving and talking with John Denver. Suffice it to say, not a Bob favorite. That might be here on a2k, can't remember, more likely not. I have a maybe memory of a story about Hunter Thompson, but that's much iffier. Then there were the successive neighbors to one house he lived in, pretty famous. Naturally, I forget just who they were, though one was the Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance guy. That might have all been on a2k.

One afternoon, Bob told Diane and me a lot about his music days in Denver, after which Diane begged him to tell it all on a2k. I don't think either of us remember details. Maybe Rockhead does.

Diane

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 05:13 pm
@shewolfnm,
Shewlfn, that is one of my favorites but Bob with Jillian on his lap is one of my many favorites. And the one of their hands entwined. So many amazing photos. He was very photogenic. That unique, dignified face and the character that was such a powerful force within Bob, always came alive for the camera.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 05:18 pm
@sozobe,
Soz! This is exactly the kind of thing I was asking for. And that is one I never copied down. Thank you so much.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 05:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, Walter. I do remember this story and know that Bob would add or delete a few details depending on his memory.

In the story I heard was that the guys trying to put up the cross were having a hard time and Bob offered to give them a hand. They sort of shuffled off.
Sglass

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 11:20 pm
Diane I want to extend my sincere condolences to you and Dy's many freinds on a2k for your loss.

faith
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 01:20 pm
@Diane,
I really had to laugh at that cross story. I can just picture Dys standing there calmly loading a gun saying what he said.
Diane

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:29 am
@Sglass,
{{{{{ Faith }}}}} Thank you for your kind thoughts.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:32 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
I can just picture Dys standing there calmly loading a gun saying what he said.

I can't. And he didn't do it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 12:38 pm
Here is Bob from my "I Think" thread.

tell you a story; my grandfathers original name was something like;
Cool waters by the still river banks;
when he was about 9 yrs old he changed it to "Edgar Banks" I don't know how he came up with that but honestly if the Lady diane was not madly in love with edgarBlythe I would like him better.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 12:41 pm
The exchange begins here:
http://able2know.org/topic/90584-4
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 01:32 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Is it possible for you to show them to us?

As far as I noticed, you can't enlarge them on the thread now.
(And since I didn't have a digital then, I don't know where the prints are Embarrassed )

However, I've found two photos from the tour Bob and I made in May 2006:

http://i52.tinypic.com/10wqqlj.jpg
Wolf Creek Pass

Bob wrote on the original thread:
Quote:
Taos, we are in Taos New Mexico at a small cafe and Walter orders Fish Tacos and posole (which he doesn't eat) like he is in southern California or something. The Dys has shredded beef blue corn tacos. Then on to Cortez Colorado where Walter orders Liver and Onions at the Sleeping Ute Cafe and finally back in Gallup New Mexico Walter orders hamburger steak with mash potatos and green beans with orange juice. Germans are weird. I'm never taking Walter anywhere again.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2d93490.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/11sdz6r.jpg
Taos

http://i53.tinypic.com/2ur9ukh.jpg
"Sleeping Ute Cafe"
Lash

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 03:54 pm
@ossobuco,
People have varying ideas about propriety. The book never came up between them during all those nightly conversations. Pirsig. I loved that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 04:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Did he show you Sleeping Ute Mountain, and explain why it was called that, Walter?
Diane

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:06 pm
Walter, thank you, thank you, thank you! The photos are wonderful.

The comment Bob made about never taking Walter anywhere again is so funny: he could hardly wait for September to come around for their trip and when he was too sick, he still looked forward to planning the most scenic routes for Walter to take. Then he could hardly wait to hear Walter's description.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 11:35 pm
@roger,
Be assured, roger, that Bob told me all and every story about anything we went to. And about what we've missed at that trip.
(Most of the later, I've visited the following years, and this year with the Missus.)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 10:49 am
Happy 4th to Lady Diane and all her supportive A2K friends.
Diane

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 06:05 pm
@JLNobody,
And the same to you and Luchi, dear JLN.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 06:54 am
@Diane,
I realized recently that the most important thing that I learned from Bob is that you shouldn't confine yourself to any label (conservative, liberal, or even moderate). We should take each issue as it comes and try to understand the better position to take.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 07:00 am
Bob once compared me with JLNobody. It made my day.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 12:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Now you've made my day. That Bob wasn't so mean after all.
0 Replies