Another Scientist Shut Down by the Morality Police

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:39 pm
Quote:
(CNN) -- In a couple of weeks my mother turns 65.
She takes yoga and Zumba every chance she gets and if you sneeze more than twice around her, she'll cook you a pot of collard greens. My mother believes her collard greens can fix just about anything.
She has a fiery personality that can rub people the wrong way. But those who know her don't mind, because it was that same fire that helped her overcome poverty, beat cancer and protect her five cubs.
My mother is a black woman.
And she is beautiful.
So to the editors of Psychology Today who thought it was a good idea to post a blog item calling black women ugly, I suggest you watch your back... my mother's cubs are looking for you.
And we are not happy.
Satoshi Kanazawa's post, "Why Are Black Women Less Physically Attractive Than Other Women?" appeared Sunday and quickly circulated around the blogosphere. It drew a great deal of criticism, which I suspect led to the post being pulled, though you can still find it elsewhere on the Web
While it's not quite as bad as Golfweek magazine putting a noose on its cover in relationship to a story about Tiger Woods, it is still rather disturbing that Psychology Today's editors needed public outcry to clue them in that the post was offensive and irresponsible.
It's challenging enough to see popular culture publications such as People and Maxim struggle to include black women in their annual most-beautiful listings, but at least their editors don't try to justify their choices under the guise of science.
"Because they have existed much longer in human evolutionary history, Africans have more mutations in their genomes than other races," Kanazawa's post read. "And the mutation loads significantly decrease physical attractiveness."
I do not dispute Kanazawa's credentials as an evolutionary psychologist at the London School of Economics, but I do wonder why he even approached the topic.
I question a methodology that asks random people to judge the attractiveness of other random people without taking into account the influence of background and culture. Without taking into account a Westernized standard of beauty that has not only haunted some black women into buying cream to bleach their skin but prompted some Asian-Americans to undergo surgery to make their eyes more European looking.
That's not to say white skin or round eyes are necessarily unattractive. Rather, a system that declares one set of physical attributes as the standard to which a multiethnic society must adhere is destructive.
And racist.
And yet as much as I detest Kanazawa's post, I do recognize it as just another chapter in the ongoing assault on black women in our culture.
He says they're ugly.
The statistics say 42% have never been married.
Some rappers say, well, we know what they say... and apparently we don't mind, because they keep topping the charts.
If you comb through Donald Bogle's book "Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies and Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films," you'll find a long celluloid history of black women being portrayed as anything but beautiful. Their sass is a constant source of comedic relief, but rarely are they seen as complete human beings, to be romanced or capable of being vulnerable.
Nowadays the most popular black female characters in film are not even played by black women. Tyler Perry's "Madea" and Martin Lawrence's "Big Momma" characters are unflattering caricatures of figureheads who for generations on top of generations held the black community together.
Funny, maybe.
Fair, definitely not.
More than two in three blacks in enrolled college are women. Three of four blacks in graduate school are women. It's a free country and film makers can say whatever they want. I'm just not sure why it's so hard to make a sequel about that. The First Amendment gives us the freedom to say whatever we want. But it doesn't say that we should.
Because of the long history of the deconstruction, Kanazawa's post, while tasteless and disgusting, is an attack black women can easily brush aside -- been there, heard that. But it does provide an opportunity for real talk within the black community and for recognizing that the wounds that hurt the most don't come from enemy lines but friendly fire. It comes from black men who know enough to respect the black women who are their mothers but not the black women who are their lovers. They fail to see the disconnect.
I'm not suggesting black women are absolved of any responsibility in how they are portrayed in the media. I'm also not suggesting that every black woman is looking for a black man in the first place. But certainly black men play a significant role in the way black women are perceived. Black men help create the environment in which a blog like Kanazawa's can be written.
We are the ones who use black women as shields because we lack the will to be disciplined, integrity to accept responsibility, or, for a small number of us, even have the courage to embrace our own sexuality.
The down-low isn't just about the impact homophobia has on black men; it's also about the selfish disregard these black men have for another person's life. In that, I see little difference between that and the black men who refuse to help raise the kids they father or resort to domestic violence.
The truth is Kanazawa's post doesn't hold a candle to the amount of damage black men continue to do to the image of black women ourselves.
That doesn't mean not choosing one as a spouse is an automatic slap to the face. Black men are free to date and marry whomever they want, just like everybody else.
Heck, I haven't slept with a woman of any color in years because, well, I'm gay. But my sexual orientation doesn't prevent me from simply showing respect for what continues to be the backbone of my community. Women like my mother. My sisters. My aunts, cousins, friends ... the sisters who retwist my locks, fight for equal rights, usher in church or go to work every day in a society where a publication like Psychology Today thinks it's OK to call black women ugly.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/05/19/granderson.black.women/index.html?hpt=C2

How often do we need to repeat this mistake....a scientist saying that something morally offensive seems to be none the less true gets silenced...any statement negative towards black people gets dismissed as racism that should not be listened to? It is just this head in the sand mentality and blind allegance to the victim culture that has gotten America into the deep trouble that we now find ourselves.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
There are marked race differences in physical attractiveness among women, but not among men. Why?
Add Health measures the physical attractiveness of its respondents both objectively and subjectively. At the end of each interview, the interviewer rates the physical attractiveness of the respondent objectively on the following five-point scale: 1 = very unattractive, 2 = unattractive, 3 = about average, 4 = attractive, 5 = very attractive. The physical attractiveness of each Add Health respondent is measured three times by three different interviewers over seven years.

From these three scores, I can compute the latent "physical attractiveness factor" by a statistical procedure called factor analysis. Factor analysis has the added advantage of eliminating all random measurement errors that are inherent in any scientific measurement. The latent physical attractiveness factor has a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1.

Recall that women on average are more physically attractive than men. So women of all races are on average more physically attractive than the "average" Add Health respondent, except for black women. As the following graph shows, black women are statistically no different from the "average" Add Health respondent, and far less attractive than white, Asian, and Native American women.

In contrast, races do not differ in physical attractiveness among men, as the following graph shows. Men of all races are more or less equally less physically attractive than the "average" Add Health respondent.

This sex difference in the race differences in physical attractiveness – where physical attractiveness varies significantly by race among women, but not among men – is replicated at each Add Health wave (except that the race differences among men are statistically significant, albeit substantively very small, in Wave III). In each wave, black women are significantly less physically attractive than women of other races.

It is very interesting to note that, even though black women are objectively less physically attractive than other women, black women (and men) subjectively consider themselves to be far more physically attractive than others. In Wave III, Add Health asks its respondents to rate their own physical attractiveness subjectively on the following four-point scale: 1 = not at all, 2 = slightly, 3 = moderately, 4 = very. As you can see in the following graphs, both black women and black men rate themselves to be far more physically attractive than individuals of other races.

What accounts for the markedly lower average level of physical attractiveness among black women? Black women are on average much heavier than nonblack women. The mean body-mass index (BMI) at Wave III is 28.5 among black women and 26.1 among nonblack women. (Black and nonblack men do not differ in BMI: 27.0 vs. 26.9.) However, this is not the reason black women are less physically attractive than nonblack women. Black women have lower average level of physical attractiveness net of BMI. Nor can the race difference in intelligence (and the positive association between intelligence and physical attractiveness) account for the race difference in physical attractiveness among women. Black women are still less physically attractive than nonblack women net of BMI and intelligence. Net of intelligence, black men are significantly more physically attractive than nonblack men.

There are many biological and genetic differences between the races. However, such race differences usually exist in equal measure for both men and women. For example, because they have existed much longer in human evolutionary history, Africans have more mutations in their genomes than other races. And the mutation loads significantly decrease physical attractiveness (because physical attractiveness is a measure of genetic and developmental health). But since both black women and black men have higher mutation loads, it cannot explain why only black women are less physically attractive, while black men are, if anything, more attractive.

The only thing I can think of that might potentially explain the lower average level of physical attractiveness among black women is testosterone. Africans on average have higher levels of testosterone than other races, and testosterone, being an androgen (male hormone), affects the physical attractiveness of men and women differently. Men with higher levels of testosterone have more masculine features and are therefore more physically attractive. In contrast, women with higher levels of testosterone also have more masculine features and are therefore less physically attractive. The race differences in the level of testosterone can therefore potentially explain why black women are less physically attractive than women of other races, while (net of intelligence) black men are more physically attractive than men of other races.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201105/why-are-black-women-less-physically-attractive-other-women&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think what is offensive about it is that anyone would bother to ask such a question in the name of "science".

And they didn't ask "Why black women might be considered less attractive than other women?" they asked "Why Are Black Women Less Physically Attractive Than Other Women".

Just because someone calls it science doesn't mean it's a good question.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:38 pm
@boomerang,
This is called "inventing data to support your preconception."

Also known as trolling.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:38 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Just because someone calls it science doesn't mean it's a good question.
Ignorance is bliss....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:39 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

This is called "inventing data to support your preconception."

Also known as trolling.
Only if he made up the data....what makes you think that he did?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:41 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Also known as trolling
By those who define "troll" as "someone who insists upon saying something that I dont want to hear".
DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

By those who define "troll" as "someone who insists upon saying something that I dont want to hear".

No, by those who define trolling as "deliberately posting something offensive."

You fit that, as well.

There is less science in this than in a bowl of fruit loops.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Only if he made up the data....what makes you think that he did?

Tell you what. Find the original study and post the abstract here.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

"Because they have existed much longer in human evolutionary history, Africans have more mutations in their genomes than other races," Kanazawa's post read. "And the mutation loads significantly decrease physical attractiveness."

Bwahahahahaha!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:13 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
And they didn't ask "Why black women might be considered less attractive than other women?" they asked "Why Are Black Women Less Physically Attractive Than Other Women".

Actually, it appears they did. When I searched the web for the article's title, the top hit was a site called buzzfeed.com. It presented a scan of the article as it appeared in the paper. (Here's the link.) Its title clearly asks: "Why are black women rated less attractive than other women?" It appears to me as if it was other sites, including buzzfeed itself, that dropped the crucial word "rated".
Thomas

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:21 pm
@Thomas,
On the other hand, the author does use "are" rather than "are rated" in the body of the article. Also, she clearly has a problem with the meaning of the words "subjective" and "objective". She interviewed a number of random people (who, being random, would have been more likely to be white than black) which faces they found most attractive. By comparing the responses, she gets a physical-attractiveness rating she calls "objective". But it isn't. At best, it's an objective survey of people's subjective taste.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:23 pm
@Thomas,
Agreed - though the author is a 'he.'

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
My mistake about the author's gender. (Also, it's a screenshot of the blog, not a scan of the journal.) But the bottom line is the same. This blog post claims to have measured physical attractiveness objectively and scientifically. Yet its methods are neither objective nor scientific. Pulling this blog post was not a suppression of science.
roger

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 09:51 pm
@Thomas,
I have problems thinking of the word 'attractive' in any terms other than subjective.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 10:51 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I have problems thinking of the word 'attractive' in any terms other than subjective.
And your point is? Whether humans reach a result by objective methods or subjective there are still patterns to what humans want, which are important to know. Unless you are with Firefly's crowd who think that they have the right to try to engineer human desire what people want is am important thing to know. Firefly and her thugs dont give a ****, because they aim to erase current human desire, and replace it with their will.
wayne

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 12:46 am
I read the blog, bwahahaha, I don't know what she's doing but it isn't science.
Ratings by three interviewers are objective? Come on, there are more races than 3 on this planet.
What a ridiculous load of crappy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:15 am
@hawkeye10,
Your entire thread is pointless. That's exactly the point I was making.

ETA: I'm not with firefly's "gang of thugs" any more than I am with yours.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 04:04 am
This thread is mildly amusing in that the OP wanted to discuss his obsessional claim that the Political Rectitude Gestapo are taking over society, and that he is a lone voice of honesty crying in the wilderness.

Instead, he's being told that this is not science. How sad for him.
Thomas

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 06:27 am
@roger,
I have no problem treating attractiveness as an objective property. After all, you can objectively measure how strongly people attract others---how frequently others approach them or adhere to them, how much interest others show in them, and so forth. I'm quite optimistic that empirical experiments can yield objective information about aesthetics in principle.

But in practice, factors other than aesthetics attract people, too. For example, ethologists have known for a long time that familiar faces attract individuals more strongly than the faces of strangers do. Therefore, I would expect a scientific study of attractiveness to control for such confounding variables. In particular, I would expect that their statistics control for the race of the people who get attracted (or not). This article, though, doesn't control for any confounding variables. It measures something, but it's not a scientific study of attractiveness.

When defending science against "the morality police" it's best to make sure that what one's defending is actually science. This article, though, isn't science. It's just something like a Yo-Momma joke. Psychology Today deserved to end up with egg on their face.