Another Scientist Shut Down by the Morality Police

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 06:33 am
@Thomas,
Psychology Today has sucked for decades. I stopped bothering with it in the 1970s when they interviewed Carlos Castenada and treated his as though he had been publishing serious works of scientific value.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 12:43 pm
@Thomas,
Well yes. If you are interviewing for a job, the best advice is to look, dress, and talk like the prospective employer. That's kind of an objective assessment of what happens, but you are still catering to the subjective view of the interviewer. Anyhow, that's my opinion.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply. It's becoming rare to get an answer to what is actually written around here.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 01:51 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

This thread is mildly amusing in that the OP wanted to discuss his obsessional claim that the Political Rectitude Gestapo are taking over society, and that he is a lone voice of honesty crying in the wilderness.

Instead, he's being told that this is not science. How sad for him.
Claiming that the paper has no foundation in science is fair, claiming that the paper should not be in the arena of ideas is not. I am not a scientist, so I dont know if there is some fundimental flaw in the piece, but I do know that the objections are out of line and that we have seen a string of events where scientists say unpopular things that they believe that they can support with science and who are told that they are out of line.
engineer

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
The problem is that "attractiveness" is completely subjective and to a great extent molded by the society you live in. If you want to debate non-PC science, why wouldn't you defend the Harvard guy that said men are better than women in math and science or the guy who said that IQ is different between races? (Acutally, maybe you did defend those.) This one is so subjective, so seemingly based on a predetermined outcome and has such a ridiculous hypothesis that any pretense of science is hard to maintain.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 04:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

claiming that the paper should not be in the arena of ideas is not [fair.]

Actually, it's completely fair. The "study" is complete crap, and anyone who promotes it should be laughed out of the room.

That's not to say that there isn't a legitimate area of study here; it's just saying this particular paper should not be taken seriously, nor should the ideas promoted in the paper.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 04:50 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

claiming that the paper should not be in the arena of ideas is not [fair.]

Actually, it's completely fair. The "study" is complete crap, and anyone who promotes it should be laughed out of the room.

That's not to say that there isn't a legitimate area of study here; it's just saying this particular paper should not be taken seriously, nor should the ideas promoted in the paper.
fine. Leave it up with the comment section open. Link to peers who have disputed the claims.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 06:56 pm
Two words, Halle Berry
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 03:57 am
@hawkeye10,
Typical Rapist Boy bullshit, a straw man. I did not say that the paper should not be in the "arena of ideas." I just said it's hilarious that you come here with your predictable phony outrage, and instead of getting the argument you wanted, you get laughed at because your thesis is so pathetic.

The objections are not out of line, they are very much to the point. Who has seen a string of events in which scientists say "unpopular things" (and what's your evidence that what they say is "unpopular") for which they have scientific support and said alleged scientists are told they are out of line? You? Do you seriously think that after this performance anyone is going to think that you're qualified to to judge?

This is just more of your phony outrage about a non-event. The claim is bullshit, and that's what people have been telling you.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 06:15 am
Kanazawa in trouble
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2011/05/professor-may-lose-job-over-racist-article-black-women/38008/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheAtlanticWire+%28The+Atlantic+Wire%29
DrewDad

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 06:32 am
@Pamela Rosa,
I'd expect anyone who's as bad at their job as this to be in danger of being fired.

Public displays of incompetence are rarely well received.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 07:20 pm
cnn gets in on the sport of trashing the work here

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/05/24/lemon.intv.black.women.cnn?hpt=Mid
0 Replies