Is the Head of the IMF a Sex Criminal?

firefly

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 08:21 pm
Strauss-Kahn's lawyers are submitting a new bail application--in this one he waives his extradition rights.
Quote:

New DSK Bail Plea Offer: He Will Wear An Electronic Monitoring Bracelet And Waive Extradition Rights
Courtney Comstock
May 18, 2011

Dominique Strauss-Kahn's lawyers have requested that the judge reconsider his denial of bail, according to Bloomberg.

Now, Strauss-Kahn's lawyers are offering a $1 million bail, electronic monitoring and a waiver of his extradition rights in exchange for his release, says Bloomberg.

Days ago, the judge denied Strauss-Kahn's $1 million bail because he was deemed a flight risk.

Perhaps the request will be considered now with the new arrangement, and now that Reuters is reporting that the trial might not happen for 6 months.
http://www.businessinsider.com/dsk-bail-plea-deal-electronic-monitoring-waive-extradition-rights-1-million-bail-exchange-freedom-dominique-strauss-kahns-bail-2011-5
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 08:24 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Strauss-Kahn's lawyers are submitting a new bail application--in this one he waives his extradition rights
He did that on Monday...I know ONE person who is not paying attention.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 08:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm not censoring Talk 7200; I am just wondering. Where did I say Talk should shut up?

This is a serious thread, and none of us know what occurred at this point. An anecdote about "black meat" is tacky under the circumstances. It could be that this is the way Mr. Strauss-Kahn thinks - it may even be his description of a prostitute he called for... though since he was said to be rushing off to lunch with his daughter, that doesn't seem correct. I doubt this woman is a prostitute or hired for a set-up - but even if she were one of those, it's still offensive.

I feel free to say that, and to wonder.
firefly

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 08:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
He did that on Monday...I know ONE person who is not paying attention.

No, I believe that the waiver of extradition rights is new to this application, and it is being reported as such in most news reports. It is in response to concerns about his being a flight risk.

This new bail application is not specific as to details--where he would be housed, etc.

If this application is denied, his lawyers will probably re-submit another next week, with more specifics about where he would be living in NYC, and possibly offering $2 million in bail.

They may let him out on house arrest, if not this week, then next week--but he won't be able to leave the place where he will be staying except to do things like go to see his lawyers, or visit a doctor, and he will have to wear the electronic monitor. But this is not a common arrangement in state courts in NY.
firefly

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 10:36 pm
Not exactly unexpected, given that he likely faces a prolonged legal battle in his criminal case.
Quote:
The New York Times
May 19, 2011
Dominique Strauss-Kahn Resigns From I.M.F.
By GERRY MULLANY

Dominique Strauss-Kahn resigned Wednesday as head of the International Monetary Fund after explosive allegations that he had sexually attacked a cleaning lady in a midtown Manhattan hotel room.

“It is with infinite sadness that I feel compelled today to present to the Executive Board my resignation from my post of Managing Director of the IMF,” he said in a statement issued Wednesday. “I think at this time first of my wife—whom I love more than anything—of my children, of my family, of my friends.”

His resignation comes just days after he was taken off an Air France plane at Kennedy International Airport and arrested in connection with the alleged attack.

Mr. Strauss-Kahn, a former French finance minister, had been expected to declare his candidacy for the French presidency soon. He was seen as the figure most likely to oust President Nicolas Sarkozy.

In issuing his resignation Wednesday, Mr. Strauss-Kahn said, “I want to say that I deny with the greatest possible firmness all of the allegations that have been made against me.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/business/19imf.html?hp
BillRM

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:11 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Not exactly unexpected, given that he likely faces a prolonged legal battle in his criminal case.

Damn shame and in the end he is likely to just pay her off to go away setting up another example at how a woman can become wealthy.

A new American dream is being born in front of our eyes.
BillRM

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:19 am
@Mame,
Quote:
I'm operating on the premise that the DA had justification for an arrest.

You can assume what ever you care to however the time line is such that it seem first he was arrested and then they are trying to find justification for doing so.

Add that the claimed that he ran out of the hotel to the airport turn out not to be true and he had a long lunch date with his daughter and then went to the airport for a flight that had been book for over a week.

But what the hell he is a man so he is guilty until proven innocent.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:21 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
we can have full confidence that she will be made whole, we love our victims. It is the fairness to DSK which is in major doubt, so that is where I choose to focus my attention.

If the reports are true one rape claimed allow her to enter the US and now another will more then likely turn her into a millionaire.

Yes we love women who claimed to be victims of evil men.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:25 am
@Mame,
Quote:
Plus, the police and DA don't take these claims lightly and don't arrest on little evidence, so, that is also why I'm leaning to her telling the truth.

Yes within hours they had arrested the man so they surely was able to do due diligence in that space of time.

To the point they issues all kind of claims that turn out not to be true.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:28 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
irrelevant in this guy's case, re his seeming history, kind of pan-women's universe.

Yes he had many convicts for sexual assault in his life.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:53 am
@firefly,
Quote:
and possibly offering $2 million in bail.

An acceptable amount would probably be whatever will retire at least a good chunk of the federal deficit.
BillRM

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 01:01 am
@JTT,
Somehow I would be betting a few millions dollars that our maid lawyer had already reached out to talk to DSK lawyers over a possible settlement of an upcoming civil suit.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 01:31 am
@firefly,
Quote:
No, I believe that the waiver of extradition rights is new to this application
I am aware of your beliefs, and I am informing you that you are factually incorrect. Watch the video of the hearing at the 13 minute mark

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/43048728#43048728

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 01:35 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Somehow I would be betting a few millions dollars that our maid lawyer had already reached out to talk to DSK lawyers over a possible settlement of an upcoming civil suit.
I doubt it, as she can expect to do great after the trial if she is telling the truth, and if she is not there is no way DSK will pay her a dime to avoid trial, as his reputation demands that he prove his innocence. It cant possibly be in both of their interests to make this go away.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 01:45 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
This is a serious thread, and none of us know what occurred at this point. An anecdote about "black meat" is tacky under the circumstances
I am more concerned with whether he is right than I am with his language choice. I have yet to hear a single person who knows DSK claim that he goes for black, all the women he has been linked to are very white.
Quote:
Miss Davis, 35, who claims to have a long list of celebrity clients, said Mr Strauss-Kahn called her directly on her mobile phone and paid $1,200 cash for two-hour sessions in hotel rooms.
"He wanted an 'All-American girl', with a fresh face, from the mid-West," she said. "A girl in January 2006 complained he was rough and angry, and said she didn't want to see him again"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/dominique-strauss-kahn/8522586/Dominique-Strauss-Kahn-IMF-head-hired-prostitutes-from-Manhattan-madam.html

This idea that DSK mistook this maid as a hooker does not make sense to me, as he would have ordered his girl by race, and would have know that the sexy black girl in a maid outfit for the hotel he was staying in was not his girl.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 01:52 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Damn shame and in the end he is likely to just pay her off to go away setting up another example at how a woman can become wealthy.

A new American dream is being born in front of our eyes.

So, any woman who wants to get wealthy, should get herself dragged around a hotel suite, almost raped, and forced to have oral sex with a prominent rich stranger?

You see a frightening, degrading, physical and sexual assault--as well as the total invasion of your privacy and your life after you report the incident-- as a small price to pay for an economic windfall?
Quote:

If the reports are true one rape claimed allow her to enter the US and now another will more then likely turn her into a millionaire.

She was granted asylum to remain in the U.S.--people are not granted asylum simply because they have been raped.
So, what are you implying--no real harm has been done to this woman, if there is a big payoff at the end? What's a little rape, right? Money is more important than things like being violated, humiliated, demeaned, traumatized...Rapists have been good to this woman...She should really be grateful to them, shouldn't she?

You have no decency at all.

Quote:

Yes within hours they had arrested the man so they surely was able to do due diligence in that space of time.

You just can't wrap your small mind around the fact that this woman reported her assault immediately, and her account was so credible that the police moved to immediately arrest this man, and preserve whatever forensic evidence was still on his body, before he could leave the country, so that he would be answerable to her charges.

They had no reason to doubt her--she reported being physically and sexually assaulted by a stranger, and her account, and likely her physical appearance, and demeanor, and emotional state, was apparently consistent and highly credible to police from the Special Victims Unit, who are very experienced in dealing with sexual assault cases.
Quote:

But what the hell he is a man so he is guilty until proven innocent.

You have been looking for reasons to discredit this woman, but you ignore the fact that this man has a somewhat unsavory reputation when it comes to women, for his aggressive tactics, and at least one other woman, a French journalist, had publicly accused him of sexually assaulting her. You wonder why that journalist has been reluctant to lodge legal charges against him--look at what has already been happening to the woman in the current case--she's under police protection, she can't go back to her apartment, people are speculating about her past and her HIV status, and her ordeal has just begun--simply because she had the guts to report being assaulted.

He is a man who has been accused of serious, violent first degree felonies. He is legally considered innocent--until a jury decides otherwise. But he will be treated, by law enforcement, and corrections, and the courts, in the same way as every other person accused of such serious crimes.

Since he is possibly guilty, why don't you wonder why this man might have risked destroying his life and career over an unwanted, forced sexual contact with a stranger?

Maybe he thought he could sexually assault her and then hand her a few bucks to shut her up and then he'd be off on his way back to Paris and no one would be the wiser. Or maybe, when he suddenly saw her in his suite, he offered her money if she'd service him, and she turned to run out of the room, but he locked the door...and decided to just take what he wanted.

Because he has the legal presumption of innocence does not mean that he's not possibly guilty.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 01:59 am
@firefly,
Quote:
He is a man who has been accused of serious, violent first degree felonies. He is legally considered innocent--until a jury decides otherwise. But he will be treated, by law enforcement, and corrections, and the courts, in the same way as every other person accused of such serious crimes.
So far he has been denied bail and put in special lock up because of who he is, so you are of course wrong. He might have been arrested right away on this basis as well, because of risk of flight. Your song and dance does not fit with the facts.
firefly

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 02:12 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
there is no way DSK will pay her a dime to avoid trial, as his reputation demands that he prove his innocence.

Except he may not be able to prove his innocence--and he, in fact, might not be innocent. And his "reputation" regarding women wasn't exactly unblemished before this incident--he just had not been criminally charged before.What he mainly wants to do is avoid spending 25 years, or probably any time, in prison.

I heard Alan Dershowitz say tonight that Strauss-Kahn's best option might be a settlement under a civil suit, in return for her dropping the case. It sounded like Dershowitz wasn't so sure it would be easy to get this man off. And Dershowitz is a damn good lawyer--he got Claus von Bulow off, and was part of the legal team that got O.J. off.

The woman can bring a civil suit against Strauss-Kahn after the trial, she doesn't have to do it before that time. But, if her life is made a living hell by all the media attention, she might want to settle sooner. But, Strauss-Kahn is the one with the most at stake right now, and the one who'd want to settle in order to avoid prison--if the settlement meant she wouldn't testify against him.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 02:21 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Except he may not be able to prove his innocence--and he, in fact, might not be innocent.
Right, in which case she has no incentive to deal (also the state will be trying to manipulate her into not dealing)...it takes two people to do a deal.
Quote:
What he mainly wants to do is avoid spending 25 years, or probably any time, in prison.
Of course you need to think that men are weak like that.....no, his reputation is far more important than is the risk of time.

Quote:
It sounded like Dershowitz wasn't so sure it would be easy to get this man off. And Dershowitz is a damn good lawyer-
Where did Dershowitz come in contact with the facts of this case? Are you saying that a great lawyer like him has so little faith in the american "justice" system that he thinks the facts dont matter?
firefly

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 02:41 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
So far he has been denied bail and put in special lock up because of who he is

He wasn't denied bail because of "who he is". He was denied bail because of the seriousness of the charges against him, the fact he resides outside the U.S., and because he has the resources, and possible motivation, to flee the jurisdiction and evade prosecution. Those are the usual reasons that people have bail denied.

And, he's not in "special lock up" in any negative sense--he is in the most preferred housing that any inmate, in any jail, could wish for. He's got an entire empty wing of a Rikers Island medical housing unit to himself. He's away from all other inmates. He doesn't have to sit in his cell (which has a TV), he can wander around the entire wing (which has a dayroom with another TV). He's still in jail, and it's not the sort of posh surroundings he's used to, and it's likely as boring as hell, but he's definitely getting special, preferential treatment because of "who he is".

Quote:
He might have been arrested right away on this basis as well, because of risk of flight

That may well be true. But, what's wrong with that? They had what they felt was a credible report of a sexual assault and they didn't want him to leave the country--whether or not he was fleeing was possibly secondary, he was sitting on a plane and they didn't want him to leave the country before he was held answerable to her charges, and they didn't want him leaving with possible forensic evidence on his body. They felt they had enough to make an arrest, so they arrested him. Do you know how many sexual assault cases the Manhattan Special Victims Unit handles in a year? These aren't amateurs, and, unlike the woman who lodged the complaint, they knew who they were dealing with. If they arrested him, it was because they felt strongly that the arrest was warranted.
0 Replies