Is the Head of the IMF a Sex Criminal?

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:05 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Part of due process, under our system, is that someone be detained in a correctional facility while they are awaiting trial, if a judge feels they might be a significant flight risk to evade prosecution.

Both you and Hawkeye have argued he doesn't belong in jail. But, he does, because that was the judicial determination at his bail hearing--which was part of his due process.

A person: The way the system worked here is not right.

Firefly: This is the way the system works, so everything is OK... no further sniveling from the peanut gallery is needed.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:05 pm
If you want to see Strauss-Kahn's official info as an inmate, just enter his first and last name on this page.
http://a073-ils-web.nyc.gov/inmatelookup/pages/common/find.jsf

He is housed in a medical unit--and that's the safest sort of area at Rikers. That's where they generally house very high profile inmates.

Fortunately, for him, civilians who work in that area of the jail will probably want to talk to him, not about the crimes he is accused of, but simply out of curiosity because he is so prominent and well known, That may provide him with a little company and conversation because, on top of his general life situation at the moment, the isolation and boredom of sitting alone in a cell can be very stressful.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:19 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
she was working that day, she had worked in that hotel for 3 years, and she entered that suite to clean it--because that was her job

An how does that show that he attack her or if he even had known her before this time for that matter or that he was not check out before she enter the room. The state seem a little confuse about the time line.

Quote:
And the forensic evidence apparently indicates some physical contact took place between the two parties. So, there is no reason to doubt her story based on what we know thus far. There is physical evidence supporting her report.

Would you care to give a link to that claim because in all my search I had not come across any such claims.

Who other then you are claiming that such forensic evidence exist or if existing it nature.
firefly

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:22 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
he is not a flight risk unless you can show us how a man who most to the world know his face and without travel papers are going to be able to leave the US and reach France.

Okay--here's such a man.
http://www.celebritysmackblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/roman-polanski-sex-offender.jpg

Quote:

We all know that he will be getting bail and all the state is doing is slowing down the granting of bail to place extra legal pressure on him to plea out or if they extra lucky he will suicide.

He might get bail at his next hearing. But his defense lawyers will have to make a strong case that convinces the judge he's not a flight risk.

This man can afford to forfeit $1 million or $2 million in bail in order to flee--apparently his wife is extremely wealthy--and it might well be worth it to him to do that, rather than face the possibility of 25 years in jail.

Quote:
state is doing is slowing down the granting of bail to place extra legal pressure on him to plea out or if they extra lucky he will suicide.

The judge, not the state, denied the granting of bail. The judge's legitimate concern was that he is a flight risk.

Denial of bail has nothing to do with putting pressure on him to take a plea deal. That's just absurd. The judge doesn't care if he takes a plea or goes to trial.

Are you so sick that you think anyone wants to see this man commit suicide?

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:32 pm
@Irishk,
Quote:
He was scheduled to meet with Angela Merkel in Germany on Sunday, and she had to cancel their meeting after she heard about his arrest. Wonder why he decided to go to France instead? At least that's what has been reported...that he was pulled off a plane headed for Paris.
Do you know where the meeting was going to take place? Given that it was the week-end we can be pretty damn sure it was not going to happen at work, as the Germans dont roll that way. They were both going to be at a big meeting in Brussels on Monday....maybe they were going to meet near Brussels for conveyance? If so Paris would be the logical place to fly into. Them Europeans have modern trains dont ya know. I believe that the travel time is 90 minutes.
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:34 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Denial of bail has nothing to do with putting pressure on him to take a plea deal. That's just absurd. The judge doesn't care if he takes a plea or goes to trial.

Yes the state of New York had it face on the line over this matter and it whole justice system would look like fools worldwide if the case fell apart. Somehow I am sure that even the judge is aware of that fact.

Quote:
Are you so sick that you think anyone wants to see this man commit suicide?

If the choice was placing pressure on this man to a degree that he might suicide in order to get him to plea out or having the careers of a great many people destroy my faith in the men and women in the legal system is not as great as your.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:37 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Okay--here's such a man

Did your excuse for not granting bail have his passport taken away?

Did everyone in the world know he was out on bond?

Did you excuse had a GPS tracking device on him?
firefly

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:44 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

Who other then you are claiming that such forensic evidence exist or if existing it nature.

The New York Times.
Quote:
New York police investigators have found "forensic evidence" in the sex-assault case against leading French presidential candidate Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the New York Times says.

The police weren't specific about what this "forensic evidence" is, but they say it will contain DNA, so it's not hard to guess.
http://www.businessinsider.com/forensic-evidence-against-dominique-strauss-kahn-sex-assault-2011-5

We don't know what the evidence is, but it likely will show evidence of physical/sexual contact between the two.
That's why his lawyers aren't asserting that nothing at all happened, they are just denying it was a forcible encounter--they may claim it was consensual.

This is what will come next
Quote:

The next step in the legal process is for 23 members of a grand jury to hear the prosecution’s case – including possible witnesses – in secret and without a judge present. They must decide if there are reasonable grounds to indict the IMF boss for trial at New York State’s Supreme Court. If that happens he could be arraigned again within a week, but the wait for a trial could take months.

The next hearing is set for Friday because the deadline for the grand jury decision is six days after the arrest of someone accused of a felony. But Mr Strauss-Kahn’s lawyers could waive that deadline.

Predicting an indictment, Prof Cunningham said: “Nine times out of 10 they [the grand jury] do what the prosecutor asks them.”

Mr Strauss-Kahn’s lawyers could allow him to be cross-examined before the grand jury, but that rarely happens, legal experts said.

Isabelle Kirshner, a defence lawyer at Clayman & Rosenberg, said: “Before you make a statement you want to have as much evidence as the prosecutor. You don’t want to make a statement that is then belied by something else.”
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/1cba9da2-80ae-11e0-85a4-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1MfexZMMx

firefly

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:51 pm
Quote:

The New York Times
May 17, 2011
Droit du Dirty Old Men
By Stephen Clarke
Paris

SINCE Sunday, when Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the head of the International Monetary Fund, was arrested on sexual assault charges in New York, French politicians have been loudly expressing their horror at his “violent” treatment at the hands of America’s criminal justice system. It must be a shock to them: the sight of a top French establishment figure being treated like an ordinary criminal is about as rare as a photo of the Queen of England in a bikini.

But they are not merely voicing their concern for an esteemed colleague; many of them are also thinking, “There but for the grace of God (or rather the grace of living in France and not the United States) go I.”

France may think it had a revolution, but in fact it just got a new, and even more powerful, elite. They believe themselves so indispensable to the running of the country that trying to topple one of them is a bit like threatening to shoot a prize racehorse for nibbling your lawn. You’re meant to shut up and let them nibble.

This is why the French establishment sees Mr. Strauss-Kahn — rather than the traumatized chambermaid the police say he attacked — as the victim. The same case would never have come out in the open in Paris. The woman would have been quietly asked whether she thought it was worth risking her job and her residence permit. She would have been reminded that it was her word against his, and frankly, whom would people believe? The witty, famous man with the influential friends, or the nobody?

French politicians are known to be serial seducers, and as a rule no one bothers them about it. It is widely accepted that a male politician can combine efficiency in his job with a tendency to leap into bed with as many people as possible. And maybe it’s true — the French eat a balanced diet and have lots of energy.

The danger is, however, that their reputation as “chauds lapins” (hot rabbits), to use the French term, can give them a sense of impunity. Surely it’s a thin line between thinking that because you’re powerful and famous, everyone will succumb to your charms, and assuming that anyone who resists is being unreasonable. By this logic, forcing yourself on an unwilling partner is only making her bow to the inevitable. It’s all very Louis XIV.

And it’s also a thin line between sexual impunity and legal impunity.

In 2004, Alain Juppé, a former prime minister, was convicted of corruption. He was given an 18-month suspended prison sentence and barred from public office for 10 years because, in the words of the judge, he had “betrayed the confidence of the people.” But he appealed and today is foreign minister, representing France on the world stage.

Jacques Chirac was implicated in the same scandal, but benefited from presidential immunity until 2007. Since then, all attempts to bring him to justice have stalled, and the whole affair is now treated as something of a running joke.

The most telling parallel with the Strauss-Kahn case is that of Roman Polanski. Whatever his talents as a filmmaker, he fled the United States to France in 1978 to avoid being sentenced for unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl. When he was arrested in Switzerland in 2009, at the request of the American authorities, the whole of the French cultural establishment rose up to defend him.

At this year’s Césars ceremony (the French equivalent of the Oscars), Mr. Polanski received an award for “The Ghost Writer,” which, to quote France’s most respected newspaper, Le Monde, “marked his return to the family after his legal troubles.” They made it sound like a speeding ticket.

All of which leads me to my belief that even if Dominique Strauss-Kahn is convicted and has to serve time, he will someday return to France, publish his autobiography (which will, of course, be adapted for the big screen by Mr. Polanski) and eventually be made a government minister. Minister of gender equality, perhaps?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/18/opinion/18clarke.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
One of the UK newspapers reported that he was scheduled to leave New York for Germany on Sunday. Several other newspaper sources have reported he was to meet with Merkel in Germany on Sunday (which she confirmed) and then head to meetings in Brussels in the following week.

The plane he was pulled from was headed to France, though, right?
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:57 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
The police weren't specific about what this "forensic evidence" is, but they say it will contain DNA, so it's not hard to guess.

Oh yes I am going to assume the worst from that and by the way even in a high profile case how would you get DNA results back that fast my friend!!!!!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 10:00 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Did your excuse for not granting bail have his passport taken away?

Did everyone in the world know he was out on bond?

Did you excuse had a GPS tracking device on him?
Another interesting fact is that the bail for Polanski was $2,000, which would be $7,000 today. Plus they did not care enough to take is passport as we have both mentioned. This is the equivalent case??!!

Plus, we could work out a deal with France and DSK in short order I bet....if we wanted to, guaranteeing his return. I still dont see how he gets out of the country though.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 10:05 pm
@Irishk,
Quote:
One of the UK newspapers reported that he was scheduled to leave New York for Germany on Sunday. Several other newspaper sources have reported he was to meet with Merkel in Germany on Sunday (which she confirmed) and then head to meetings in Brussels in the following week.
Find out where the meeting was supposed to be....if it is closer to Frankfurt or Berlin than Paris then you might have something. On the other hand he was with his wife on the way to the Airport, maybe he was dropping her off in Paris and then connecting onwards. Hard to say, but as of now you are about 48 cards short of a full deck with your argument.
Irishk

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 10:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
It was DSK's attorney who stated he was on his way to Germany.

Quote:
Mr. Brafman also argued that if Strauss-Khan had appeared in a hurry it was because he had had a prior lunch engagement with his daughter - a graduate student at Columbia University - before his Air France flight to Germany, which he added had been booked before the alleged incident.

Maybe the plane he was pulled from was going to Germany?

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 10:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
On the other hand he was with his wife on the way to the Airport,

He wasn't with his wife. He had been visiting NYC alone, and no one is quite sure why he was even in NYC--it was a "personal" visit, not connected to I.M.F.
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 10:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I still dont see how he gets out of the country though.

From a fast read Polanski just got on a plane to England using the passport no one had taken away from him.

Some how I do not see that occurring with our friend Kahn as I would assume that they would take away his travel papers to begin with but Polanski is a good excuse if you do not know better. Drunk
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 10:17 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
no one is quite sure why he was even in NYC--it was a "personal" visit, not connected to I.M.F.

I hear he had a daughter living in the area.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 10:28 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Some how I do not see that occurring with our friend Kahn as I would assume that they would take away his travel papers to begin with but Polanski is a good excuse if you do not know better.

This man can afford to buy his own private plane to take him somewhere...without travel documents..and, if that plane lands on French soil, what makes you think the French will extradite him?

Sure, you know better than the judge...

You think you know better than everyone who is actually connected to this case...
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 10:37 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
He wasn't with his wife. He had been visiting NYC alone, and no one is quite sure why he was even in NYC--it was a "personal" visit, not connected to I.M.F.
OK, someone had it that he was with the wife in the taxi and used her phone to call the hotel... maybe it was the daughter. I see that the wife was in Paris at the time. I still see no problem with DSK flying to Paris and then onwards, especially since he seemed to make a habit of using French companies, air France is of course going to fly him to Paris and then have him connect.

Why he was in NYC needs to be known. Also, why has DSK used this hotel 4 times in the last year when a few blocks away the IMF has an apartment for his use? Why is this hotel only charging him $600 for this room when it normally goes for $3000??????
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 10:39 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
This man can afford to buy his own private plane to take him somewhere...without travel documents..and, if that plane lands on French soil, what makes you think the French will extradite him?

Hmm so he take out his credit card and buy a three million long range jet and then find someone willing to become a felony himself for flying him out of the country all without law enforcement taking note.

Somehow with such a high profile person one would assume they would do some ongoing monitoring of his actions.

In any case it sound like a great idea for a novel but somehow in real life the first time he would put our feelers to find a pilot let alone a plane he would be back in jail.

Oh we would also need a technician or an engineer able to remove the GPS tracking device without sounding an alarm.

If any judge think that is likely I can only feel sorry for the people who come before him or her with their future depending on his or her judgment.
0 Replies