Where do they think they are going?

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:10 pm
Recently I’ve been hearing about people trying to open the plane door mid-flight. Just yesterday in Boston some drunk was mad about a flight delay and decided mid-flight it was time to open the emergency door. Last week an Illinois man rushed up the aisle toward the front of the aircraft pinned the flight attendant against the wall and repeatedly tried to open the emergency door. This is not a recent issue either, about six months ago some playboy bunny was flying to Newark when the plane hit turbulence – so she attempted to open the emergency door mid-flight. A couple of years ago a couple of women tried to open a cabin door mid-flight when they were refused more alcohol.

I understand that it is virtually impossible to open an aircraft’s emergency door while in flight so I’m not worried about mass killing as a result. It doesn’t appear as if the goal of these individuals is to commit suicide and/or to kill an airplane full of people. I am completely baffled though, by where these people plan on going once (in their mind) they do succeed in opening the door.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 3,174 • Replies: 24
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:15 pm
@Linkat,
Maybe those airlines need to come up with a better seat and a bit more leg room.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 04:14 pm
@roger,
Lawn chairs on the wings work for me, particularly for smokers.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 04:17 pm
I think some of these people literally go crazy up there in midair.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 04:35 pm
Well, I suppose if you get drunk enough you don't realize where you are. The same people when sober who tell you they would never drive drunk, readily get behind the wheel when they are.
Some people may be experiencing a panic attack and don't care where they are going, beyond the fact it'll be away from where they are.

Linkat, you must be a mind reader, because an airplane situation has been in my head today. Not opening emergency doors, but to me a head shaker in any event.

I'm going out to dinner right now, but maybe I'll dump when I come back (the story I mean Surprised )
panzade

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 09:36 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Lawn chairs on the wings work for me, particularly for smokers.

http://www.newyorker.com/images/2011/04/11/p323/110411_contest_p323.jpg

Well you're the one that insisted on the smoking section!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 03:55 am
@Linkat,
It's probably irrational fear, panic and alcohol on top of a shaky mental state. I suspect that a great many people who appear rational in daily life are only that way because they they are not under pressure.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:17 am
@chai2,
Well....give....
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:20 am
@rosborne979,
I know the one regarding the playboy bunny mentioned she didn't have her medication with her.

Scary that people lose such control - they do something so irrational. I mean people do crazy things - I certainly have - but not something so dumb.

I used to tell my mom when I was teen and going out - I might do something a little crazy, but I won't do something stupid. Not sure if that made her feel any better or not.

And I still live that way.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:31 am
"It's strange, isn't it. You stand in the middle of a library and go aaaaagghhhh' and everyone just stares at you. But you do the same thing on an aeroplane, and everyone joins in!" - The late, great Tommy Cooper.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 09:45 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Well....give....

Naw, thinking about it, it's not enough about people doing irrational things....I don't know, maybe it is.....I'll have to decide.

BTW, I LOVE your new profile entry!
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 09:52 am
@chai2,
sweet, huh.
chai2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:29 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah.

Could you volunteer in our next membership drive?

We're giving away chinese handcuffs to each new member.
chai2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:36 pm
@chai2,
I just changed my profile too.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:37 pm
They were probably asleep and were awoken suddenly and went into a panic when they didn't remember where they were. Or, maybe they are sleepwalkers and were doing it in their sleep.
panzade

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
Maybe they were trying out for the Mile High Club and had to create a distraction
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:39 pm
@chai2,
Well what's my title then?

I wanna a title.
chai2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:54 pm
@Linkat,
You are VP of Marketing.

That means you are in charge of the box of chinese handcuffs.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 02:22 pm
@chai2,
I can do that - can I be Executive VP
chai2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 02:24 pm
@Linkat,
Sure, why not. Knock yourself out.