Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:17 am
Here is another OP on Cain.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/05/rock_you_like_a_hermancain.html

I would expect a popular black candidate is not what the left is looking foward to in 2012. They have their "You're a racist" ammunition box already opened for the expected white candidate who will oppose BO.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:15 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
You are missing the real problem. It has nothing to do with the "left".

Cain has zero chance of being the Republican nominee. It is the Republicans that will slime him, not the Democrats.

There is a small chance that he will be Romney's, or Pawlenty's Palin, probably with the same effect.

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:17 am
@maxdancona,
I don't believe that.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:46 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
We will see in a few months, won't we.

I have already got my popcorn ready.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:11 am
@maxdancona,
I think we need a business person at this time. I don't think we can re-elect a President with 9% unemployment and 19% under-employed and gas prices so high. it's not working so let's try something new.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:14 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
As a leftie, I think Romney is the most likely to give Obama problems. He does the businessperson shtick pretty well. I have doubts that Romney will make it past the Republican primary either.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:16 am
@maxdancona,
Romney doesn't do "schtick". He's the real thing, not a phoney like BO.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 10:46 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
What do you think about Romney's health care problem? He supported a personal mandate. In Massachusetts he got a state wide personal mandate passed for which he proudly claimed credit. He is also on record in a couple of speeches in past years of supporting a national personal mandate which is the political key of Republican opposition to so-called "ObamaCare".

Romney has similar problems with gay rights and abortion. He took positions in the past on each of these issues that will be very hard for conservative voters to stomach if he can't find a way to spin his new found conservative position.

In Massachusetts, where he was governor, we called him "Multiple Choice Mitt" because on pretty much any issue you can find him taking whatever position he needs to take to help him in whatever election he is in at the time.

Romney is going to have problems getting the votes of the Republican core voter.

I think Romney would be the Republicans best chance against Obama. He is smooth and could probably woo a enough of the all important independent voters to have a shot combined with the people whose blind hatred of Obama would vote for anyone.

Fortunately, Romney is going to have big problems in the primary. Unfortunately I think he still has a decent shot.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 10:47 am
@maxdancona,
That was purely a state matter and he admits he got it wrong. Some people learn from their mistakes. BO isn't one of those people. Romney is.

Romney isn't my choice as of now, but he would be a far better President than what we have now. Every time BO opens his mouth he offends someone new. His "bringing us all together" is not working.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 11:35 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Let's both hope someone crazier than Romney wins. It seems that we both would be happier with Cain.

As a Massachuetts resident I know Romney well. And, I think that you would be very quickly upset if Romney wins the nomination.

Romney will veer to what I consider the center and you will consider "radical liberaltardom" in order to pick up the independent votes.

You will have to then be in the uncomfortable position of holding your nose voting for a "liberal" (i.e. Romney). He will have (having sewn up the nomination) will suddenly develop some position protecting a woman's right to abortion or raising taxes on the rich that you will hate.

He will do this to pick up some group of independents that he feels he must, and he will be confident that conservative hatred of Obama will guarantee you will vote for him anyway.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:00 pm
@maxdancona,
Cain gets my primary vote over Romney.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:18 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Great! He get's mine too.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:58 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Quote:
and gas prices so high.

Reduce your consumption of Miller to a reasonable level and you'll have more than enough money for gas.

Just consider where gas prices will go if those middle easterners actually get some fool notion in their heads that those oil resources belong to them.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 06:26 am
Ok, partially due to the buzz here, I started paying attention to Cain. I am not impressed.

Cain, being interviewed on Fox, gave perfectly memorized, solidly conservative points on the Israel/Palestine conflict.

But when he was asked the simplest question about a key point of any peace deal, the Right of Return, he drew a blank.

Quote:
CAIN: Right of return? Right of return?

WALLACE: The Palestinian right of return.

CAIN: That's something that should be negotiated.

When asked again about whether he believes in the Palestinian right of return, Cain seemed unclear about the Israeli position on the matter, as well as his own.

CAIN: Yes, but under - but not under - Palestinian conditions. Yes. They should have a right to come back if that is a decision that Israel wants to makeā€¦. I don't think they have a big problem with people returning.

Anyone who knows anything about the Middle East knows that the right of return is something that Israel most definitely has a big problem with.

Cain looks rather Palin-like. He will be a big fan with the Tea Party but he will be dismissed by anyone with a brain.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 08:27 am
I read something about that, even left a video of the interview, but then I deleted it. Cain being in the field does present a problem for democrats, it puts us in a spot on the charges of racism. Any criticism will likely revert to those types of accusations.

I voted for Obama because I agreed with nearly all of his views, it was easy for me. I also thought he was very articulate and able to convey his thoughts in a persuasive manner and I thought he was informed on all the issues. (right or wrong that is how I felt)

I would not agree with Cain because he is a conservative republican. I would have had a hard time voting for Colin Powell for the same reason. Although I liked him more and was willing to overlook his "conservativeness" if he ran because he was knowledgeable, articulate and reasonably moderate. On the other hand, I don't Cain is knowledgeable or able to be reasonably articulate enough to explain issues which I think is important in a president who makes decisions which effect our lives. Repeating talking points are not the same as knowing the issues and being able discuss them in an intelligent manner.
JTT

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 11:50 am
@revelette,
Quote:
Cain being in the field does present a problem for democrats, it puts us in a spot on the charges of racism. Any criticism will likely revert to those types of accusations.

Why would anyone worry about the lies that conservatives advance?

Quote:
I would have had a hard time voting for Colin Powell for the same reason. Although I liked him more and was willing to overlook his "conservativeness" if he ran because he was knowledgeable, articulate and reasonably moderate.

Why are you willing to overlook the fact that he materially helped a group of liars launch two illegal invasions upon two sovereign countries?

Why are you willing to overlook the fact that instead of exposing these liars, he made a quiet retreat?

Why are you willing to overlook his "coming out" after the heat was off and again, instead of exposing the criminals, he launched a campaign to tell everyone how he had been misled?
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 02:17 pm
@maxdancona,

MaxiPad, it sounds like you are concerned with Cain's ability to whip Oboy's ass in a presidential debate... you should be, because at this stage of the game Cain has more experience than Obama did during his run up to being nominated as the democrat candidate for 2008.

BTW, could someone tell PrezBO that the current year is 2011 and not 2008... Laughing what a dumb ass!
JTT

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 02:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
The braying ass points its hoof.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 04:23 pm
@JTT,
Good point, Obama is a braying ass.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 06:17 am
@JTT,
When the idea was floated about Colin Powell running for president, it was before all those events took place. At that time he was an admired General.

(I was for the first gulf war, was not for the Iraq war but was for the Afghanistan war. Now I think we should completely get out of both and think most of Americans now think so too and Obama should do it, quickly. Concerning Libya, we joined NATO in stopping from Gaddafi from mass murdering those protesting in Libya and as far as I am aware, the threat is not quite over, when he is gone, we should get out and the country solve their problems, unless they want us to stay. The opposition did want our help and they may want more help..or they may not. We should abide by their wishes, IMO)

I think Colin Powell knew enough not to have gone along with giving the Iraq speech. I think he was disingenuous when he came out a few months ago claiming to have been misled. However, that is just my opinion. If there was a chance of a Powell run for presidency after all that was out in the open, I would not have even thought about voting for him. I have to admit that the fall from grace so speak for Powell, for me, is sad.
0 Replies