MY CHICKENS ESCAPED

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 01:50 pm
I bought about 2 dozen new little chicks just before EAster. In order to be able to tend them in their first formative weeks of life, Ive kept them in a studio room that has a nice big fireplace that we keep burning from Novemebr till May it also has nice soft lighting. Weve kept them in a big cattle watering tub with wood chips on the floor(of the tub, not the house). This has not been the greatest expwrience cause, as they got bigger, they would occasionally panic and send clouds of chicken dust in the air.(NOt healthy I know).
Today I moved them out to their permanent digs in a nice coop area located in the old milkhouse in the barn.
In the house, preparing for the big move, I scooped up as many of these pre-adolescent chikens with a trout lnding net.(Very easy scoopery) and I then stuffed them into a "Muck Boot" box. I took em out and set em up and it was then that I counted 20--21---22-, chickens. I counted the little bastards about 6 times to be sure it wasnt my advancing Alzheimers .
NOPE, Im missing 2 ******* chickens. SOmewhere in the house there are two chickens that probabbly escaped in the furor and the fog of capture.NOW, my question is. Will they grow, unmolested , into giant revenge seeking terror birds?
How can We safely sleep? Must we s;eep in shifts, armed to the teeth? Living in fear of having our eyes pecked out while in bed?

Any advice is appreciated

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 01:55 pm
Remove all food, except for in one little spot. If you feed them, they will come.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:04 pm
Watch out for chickens with choppers!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:09 pm
@farmerman,
Now, don't you wish you had been nicer to them when you had the chance?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:11 pm
@farmerman,
You can contact the Navy Seals Night Stalkers headquartered at Fort Campbell, Kentucky who are really good at finding things.

BBB
roger

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:17 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
It is not at all reassuring to have a navy that thinks there's an ocean in Kentucky. I'm not sure they could find Kansas, let alone a pair of chickens.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:23 pm
@roger,
The Tennessee Seals were busy, so I'm recommending the Kentucky Seals.

BBB
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:27 pm
@roger,
Kentucky was the site of a aseries of huge inland seas, just not recently, the seas even predate BBB's memory.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:28 pm
@farmerman,
Just what did you expect from free ranging chickens? Its their nature to wander.
roger

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:28 pm
@kuvasz,
Yes, but they tell me they are the best kind.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:33 pm
@kuvasz,
Quote:
what did you expect from free ranging chickens? Its their nature to wander.

These two escapee chickens must have been the leaders because the others are sort of just standing in their coop in a clot like a bunch of morons.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:35 pm
@farmerman,
Maybe they crossed the road..
Francis

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:37 pm
@ossobuco,
No, they are too chicken to do that..
LionTamerX

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:39 pm
@Francis,
I hope they didn't meet with foul play.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 03:18 pm
@farmerman,
Let's get down to basics. It is probably obvious, but did you count the chicks when they first arrived to ensure you weren't ripped off? Do you know for sure you actually had 24 to start with?

Are there any cats or dogs that roam inside the house? They'll sniff out any meandering chicks in no time.
farmerman

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 03:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
There were 24 original chicks. Of that there is nop doubt.
They all lived and thrived .

CATS, I forgot about the cat!!. Oh ****. Calliecat is a Maine Coon and is an excellent mouser. I gotta get to these birds before she does.
wayne

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 04:20 pm
@farmerman,
Well, the good news is, I think a snake in the house would've eaten more than 2.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 04:28 pm
It sounds like you have some little chicken cannibals.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 05:01 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

You can contact the Navy Seals Night Stalkers headquartered at Fort Campbell, Kentucky who are really good at finding things.

BBB

I wouldnt do that.
Their colonial may take a fancy to them
http://avapennington.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/colonel-sanders_kfc.jpg