MY CHICKENS ESCAPED

izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:55 pm
@JTT,
You don't have any little pet hates then? I knew someone who really hated the phrase 'this moment in time.' He said it was unnecessary, you should say now. It doesn't bother me but it really upset him.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:58 pm
@Setanta,
That's what you get when you spend long hours staring at Liz's bargain bucket.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You don't have any little pet hates then? I knew someone who really hated the phrase 'this moment in time.' He said it was unnecessary, you should say now. It doesn't bother me but it really upset him.

No, why would I, Izzy?

I guess that you can't tell that someone that 'this moment in time' is much more elegant [ooops, Ionus says we can't say 'much more'; it means the same as 'more'].

You should have told that person at that time, oops, then, that English has a lot of phrases that can substitute for one word options.

"unnecessary" and "redundant" are big on prescriptivists' lists of no nos.
JTT

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:22 pm
@Setanta,
There is no American language.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:42 pm
@JTT,
Yeah, you're probably right. I can't be arsed to argue.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:49 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Perhaps this is because of the British influence that 'gotten' is a vulgarity.

that doesn't make a lot of sense. The Ottawa Citizen is the paper (of the selection you've provided) that would have the biggest Brit influence.

Interesting that some papers use it. I'll have to keep listening for someone to say "gotten".
ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:50 pm
@JTT,
That's certainly a silly thing for you to say.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 02:31 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
that doesn't make a lot of sense. The Ottawa Citizen is the paper (of the selection you've provided) that would have the biggest Brit influence.

I used 'perhaps', Beth. But we aren't talking about overall influence, just that that might have been exerted on the odd editor or two. You have to remember that these people rarely think about language, they only have these knee jerk reactions to things that they have heard.

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 08:20 pm
So, is thread still about chickens on the lam, or what?
msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 08:55 pm
@Reyn,
Bring back the chickens, I say! Wink
I liked hearing about them. Smile
Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 09:19 pm
@msolga,
I got my coop all ready, but think Ima wait till fall, or mebbe even next year before I add the little buggers to my responsibility list.

the cats stay fed, but after that, it gets dicey yet...

Araucanas, also known as the South American Rumpless, is the way I have decided to go, however.

calm is better...
msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:22 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
Araucanas, also known as the South American Rumplessis, is the way I have decided to go....

Good luck with this, Rocky.
They sound like wonderful chickens to me.
How could you go wrong, if you keep the feline critters at bay?
Good move! Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 02:06 am
I don't know that i'd want to take on chickens at this stage in my life. However, there is a growing "urban chickens" movement in this country. I question whether it would survive the predictable crowing of the chickens though--not only do roosters salute the dawn, hens announce having laid an egg. Allegely, though, it's a more and more popular movement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 02:40 am
So now i'm wondering why chickens crow.
Ionus

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 05:37 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm wondering why crows are chicken . So many imponderables....
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 05:38 pm
@kuvasz,
Quote:
Just what did you expect from free ranging chickens? Its their nature to wander.
It is far kinder to eat a happy chicken then a miserable one that wants to die .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 05:42 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The world is in order.
Is that an order for chickens ?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:35 am
@Setanta,
Setanta said

I think the following clip may answer that question. I'm sorry I couldn't isolate the exact clip, and have had to show the entire episode. The answer to your question starts at about 12mins 1o seconds into the clip. But you might want to watch the whole thing, Russell Howard is really good.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 01:03 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
We had to feed the chooks when i was a liddly . . . we didn't cherish them as pets, we feared and hated them. We would dance with glee when my grandfather slaughtered them. Nasty chooks.

Well I don't know what variety of chooks were residents of your grandparent's farm, Setanta. Maybe some particularly aggressive breeds?
But my experience was totally different.
The chooks my parents raised (no flash varieties, just the common or garden local chook breeds) were gentle souls.
As a child growing up on a farm, they would "talk" to me & listen to what I had to say, cocking their heads to one side, with great interest when I spoke to them.
They seemed particularly inquisitive as they listened intently to my words .
They would eat my offerings of apples from my hand as I shared their space.
I really enjoyed their company.
I got to know all of them as individuals.
Collectively they were pretty good company.
farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 10:49 pm
@msolga,
Checking in with a progress report of my chickens. I still have the given number with the esception of one minor detail. I have now raised up several of the male persuasion. This annoys the **** out of me because I distnctly bought (and paid the premium for) PULLETS (100% guyaranteed pullets).

I went to the agent from whom I bought em and started complaining. I was not being treated with courtesy and respect. I was given a large host of **** about "we dont guarantee the sex of chickens". I , alas have no proof that they had a bigass sign that stated otherwise. It was a scam/ I now have two useless and rather annoying Auracan Roosters. I want to invite them to Sunday dinner but my wife is like this ST Frances of Assissi bitch, so, unless I find some idiot who will accept these roosters as gifts, Im afraid I will have to live with them. They are already divvying up the girls into his and hisn sub froups.

Ive almost got this AMish kid to take em with the idea that they will impregnate whatever chickens they have and will produce "Easter EGg" chickens.

I have to admit, these roosters are rather handsome. They have small combs, small but showy tails , and big facial tufts that give them a comical quizzical look. As far as chickens (and roosters) go, these guys are calm and dont run off scared of anything that aint chicken. Theyve taken to sleeping on the backs of the sheep when they are in the barn, and they lunch with the sheep and eat the sheep corn and oays and molasses mix . They stand right on the edge of each feed bin and "line up" like the sheep. I havent been able to get a really good picture yet. I need some tips on getting closer(the sheep will scatter when they see a camera)

AS far as free ranging. They have a large 6 avre paddock, several small pastures and two really huge pastures to roam at will. They follow the sheep or the steers into the field and theres a guinea cock and hen that join them . The guineas are like a fire alarm, anybody comes near who isnt recognized by the guineas, they go absolutely bug **** nuts and the male makes this noise that sounds like a very loud version of fingernails on a blackboard. SO, the only reason that the Auracanas will break formation Ive noticed, is when it is time for one of them to lay an egg, then they all gather up like a bunch of Hassidem rabbis and all head for the barn until the one or two lay their eggs. (They are just beginning to lay eggs so its all new to them).

I imagine , as they all start laying,that they will accompany each other back to the brooder boxes for daily egg laying time (occurs usually around 6 to 9 AM). Where all all the chickens , after laying, compare notes about the eggs just laid, condition, size, and overall quality, and jsut as quickly, return to the pastures .