Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 10:57 pm
@farmerman,
Cool..

also, funny.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 11:05 pm
@farmerman,
Those roosters have already grown on you, farmer. You've changed from complaining to admiring them in just one post. Smile

They sound like fine specimens indeed!
And it sounds like they really like your sheep!
The only foreseeable problem I can see would be at the break of dawn.
Are you going to have two roosters crowing like mad, at the one time? (Momma mia, the cacophony!)
Or is there some sort of pecking order reckoning likely, to decide which one has the honour of being "top rooster"?

But what a life for your flock.
So much space & sunshine & freedom of movement!
Lucky them! Smile
msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 11:18 pm
@farmerman,
ps. .... your wife was absolutely right about not eating them for Sunday lunch!
Wise woman.

Besides, admit it, you'd be filled with remorse if you did!
roger

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 11:23 pm
@msolga,
No, chicken.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 04:57 am
@msolga,
Quote:
You've changed from complaining to admiring them in just one post.
Yessir anybody's love these here darn roosters. How bout you missy? Ill put em in a big wrapper box and stick a coupla pencil holes in there so they have enough air and Ill send em to

Ms Olga
Sydney
Oz (need your postal code fya dont mind)

Youll love em.

They have a delightful pattern of vocalization that lets you know that its still light out. They begin their vocalization at the first signs of an approaching day and let you know as it continues. They are very ept at that. Its a great feature for people who are unable to distinguish daylight from moonscape
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:00 am
Roosters are both entertaining and exasperating. On balance, I like having a few around, if I am to have chickens at all. I regret not being allowed livestock in this neck of the woods.
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:10 am
@edgarblythe,
My wifes already named em.
msolga

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:20 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Yessir anybody's love these here darn roosters. How bout you missy? Ill put em in a big wrapper box and stick a coupla pencil holes in there so they have enough air and Ill send em to

Ms Olga
Sydney
Oz (need your postal code fya dont mind)

Youll love em.

Well thank you, farmer!
How very thoughtful of you.
I know I'll love them! Smile

But, please change the address to:

Ms Olga
Melbourne
Oz

Otherwise they'll be lost in the post!

They'll have a happy home with me.
I don't know what my cat will make of them, though!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:22 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
My wifes already named em.

Ha, that settles things then!
She's a good woman. Smile
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:42 am
@msolga,
AMBROSE AND HOWARD, after two fellas who sported big sideburns
msolga

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:21 am
@farmerman,
Well I don't know about about the original two fellas who inspired their names, farmer, but I think Ambrose & Howard are extremely fine names for a couple of regal roosters. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:30 am
@farmerman,
OK, i know who Ambrose Burnside was, but to whom does Howard refer?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:37 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I bought about 2 dozen new little chicks just before EAster. In order to be able to tend them in their first formative weeks of life, Ive kept them in a studio room that has a nice big fireplace that we keep burning from Novemebr till May it also has nice soft lighting. Weve kept them in a big cattle watering tub with wood chips on the floor(of the tub, not the house). This has not been the greatest expwrience cause, as they got bigger, they would occasionally panic and send clouds of chicken dust in the air.(NOt healthy I know).
Today I moved them out to their permanent digs in a nice coop area located in the old milkhouse in the barn.
In the house, preparing for the big move, I scooped up as many of these pre-adolescent chikens with a trout lnding net.(Very easy scoopery) and I then stuffed them into a "Muck Boot" box. I took em out and set em up and it was then that I counted 20--21---22-, chickens. I counted the little bastards about 6 times to be sure it wasnt my advancing Alzheimers .
NOPE, Im missing 2 ******* chickens. SOmewhere in the house there are two chickens that probabbly escaped in the furor and the fog of capture.NOW, my question is. Will they grow, unmolested , into giant revenge seeking terror birds?
How can We safely sleep? Must we s;eep in shifts, armed to the teeth? Living in fear of having our eyes pecked out while in bed?

Any advice is appreciated
If u describe them,
I 'll be on the look out for them!

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:40 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
what did you expect from free ranging chickens? Its their nature to wander.
farmerman wrote:
These two escapee chickens must have been the leaders because the others are sort of
just standing in their coop in a clot like a bunch of morons.
Next time get smarter chicks.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:42 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
There were 24 original chicks. Of that there is nop doubt.
They all lived and thrived .

CATS, I forgot about the cat!!. Oh ****. Calliecat is a Maine Coon and is an excellent mouser.
I gotta get to these birds before she does.
ISOLATE her.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
farmerman wrote:
Im missing 2 ******* chickens.

As opposed to roasting or frying chickens?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 10:55 am
@farmerman,
Sounds like a good time to find out where the agent lives and then release the roosters in their neighborhood.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 10:58 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
They have a delightful pattern of vocalization that lets you know that its still light out. They begin their vocalization at the first signs of an approaching day and let you know as it continues. They are very ept at that. Its a great feature for people who are unable to distinguish daylight from moonscape

This is definitely an opportunity to share the experience with the agent and his neighbors.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 11:09 am
@Setanta,
        http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/14/1457/FFBQ000Z/posters/zorn-anders-leonard-william-howard-taft-president-1909-1913.jpg                                       This Howard. MAybe you know him by one of his millions of other first names. Hishndlebar looks like the tufts on the one rooster. And Burnside is correct. You win a tee shirt witha picture of my cat.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 11:38 am
@farmerman,
Arthur MacArthur, Doug's pappy, was the American military commander in the Philippines after the Spanish War. Taft was sent out as the colonial governor and MacArthur felt that he had been insulted. He used to write back to Washington complaining about Taft, but couldn't really find anything to fault him on so he was reduced to saying that Taft was so fat, saddle horses who had to carry him were breaking down. It's incredible how petty men can get when jealously rears its ugly head. Much worse than women.

You can keep the tee-shirt . . . cats is the spawn of SATAN ! ! !