It'a Always One Great Piece Of News After Another

Rockhead

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 01:20 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I can't speak to diabetes as that's the one thing I'm in line for that I haven't encountered yet, but...

sympathizing, and reminding you that the only person in the system that really cares about your health, is you.

best of luck, bear.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 01:47 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Awaiting your eye results.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 02:29 pm
glaucoma. Permanent optic nerve damage already. more expensive meds for life.
sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 02:36 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Oh geez. That sucks royally.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 03:27 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Man, I'm really sorry to hear that, bear.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 03:34 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Oh, crap.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 06:05 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Oh, crap.

the expense is ruinous. I better start pimping myself out to rich bored housewives and widows.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 06:06 pm
It was just suggested to me that it's a sign to accept Jesus. I'm a Jesus fan but....really?
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 06:56 pm
Got a relative going through this -- and it totally sucks. Sorry to hear it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 07:11 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I have glaucoma in one eye and pre in the other. You're talking to someone with six eye surgeries. I have had threads on it on a2k, me, whining woman yelling or explaining. You can research the threads, and who would want to, not even me.

While docs over time worked out what worked, last time I counted, I took, over time, nineteen kinds of drops, last I counted. But, my situation is unusual. With good googoo, you'll be set quickly.
My ex has had glaucoma since the eighties, and he's fine.
Glaucoma varies though, so you need to look into it.

The main drops cost me $130. per prescription for years (I had insurance but high deductible) and that was part of my financial demise, and years later, was, after medicare and medicaid, something like $2.50 per vial.

I have optic nerve damage too, have had for a long time.

The question is, is yours progressing.
Question all you can, look up all the refs you can.

J
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 07:31 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Maybe they said you should accept "cheeba" and you misheard ? Sorry to hear that you're going through this crap, man what a bummer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 10:10 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

It was just suggested to me that it's a sign to accept Jesus. I'm a Jesus fan but....really?

Nah, this is a sign that retiring was a bad idea. Obviously retirement doesn't agree with you. Wink
roger

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 10:26 pm
@Eva,
On the other hand, diabetes medications don't agree with the alcohol in the club scene. The combination can cause your blood sugar to crash.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 04:59 am
Believe me Roger I'm going to be very careful about that. My doc said I didn't have to become a tea totaler but to be very careful. I can still have my nightly small brandy or glass of red wine but that's it.

I'm adding up the cost of all these medications and the total comes to almost exactly what I'll have leftover after my SS check and my earnings I'm allowed to make in addition. It will pay my rent and utilities and my meds. No gas, grocery, discretionary money at all. I knew if I worked hard at my craft all my life it would pay off in my golden years. Oh how the mighty hath fallen. Laughing
roger

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 01:43 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
When you turn 65, you are eligible for Part D prescription drug insurance - unless you decline Medicare Part B, which would be a suicidal decision. I couldn't make the additional insurance premium work out for me, but it could work for you. I had that coverage when I was fighting angle closure glaucoma. Some of the drops were fairly well covered, and some not covered at all. One of them cost $140.00.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 02:48 pm
I've been upset a couple of days but now the real Bear returns. **** it. it is what it is.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 04:16 pm
So I test my blood sugar about an hour ago and it's already down to 100. I ride over to the grocery store and while Im there I reward myself with some sugar fee Russell stover mints. I eat one, it's so good to me I eat two more, then see on the package each one has 23g of sugar alcohol. My dumb ass.
roger

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 05:03 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Sugar alcohol isn't as big a deal as you might think. To the extent that it converts to blood sugar, it does it quite slowly, which is about all you can ask. Heck, even steak can make it's way into glucose.

On the other hand, 23g X how many? You can eat anything you want. Some things you can eat a lot of. Green beans come to mind. Some thing you can't eat much at all, like chocolate chip cookies.

Keep reading labels and keep using the meter, though god knows the test strips are not cheap.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 07:00 am
@roger,
Last night I took a reading about 4 hours after eating the candy ( I also had dinner about 2 hours previous) and it had jumped from 100 to 354. This am my fasting reading is still 164. I can see I'm going to need to really do some work on researching what I eat and my exercise routine and how it affects this.

I'm just getting some energy back so I feel like I'll soon go back to my regular exercise routine which is pretty vigorous and although that will help me regain even more energy and boost my metabolism I also realize it lowers blood sugar so combined with the insulin shots I'll need to be sure I don't go the other way during those times.

I'm already a pretty healthy eater. no sugar, whole wheat bread and pasta products, sugar free "ice cream" or Jello snacks and believe it or not, I don't drink much alcohol despite my joking around, skim milk, lean meat, fast food is a treat I allow myself maybe once or twice a month and that's it.

I'd like to go back to shopping at Whole Foods but in order to do that I need to earn more money. One of the reasons my income has dipped is because I haven't had the energy to market, promote and beat the bushes as I used to do and, without sounding arrogant, I'm extremely good at. I'm one hell of a closer. I'm confident that when I get all my energy back my focus will tag right along and I can earn. I'd like to be able to tell Social Security "Never mind, I don't need it yet".

Tomorrow I have a pageant to do sound for all day, then following an after prom party to dj until 4 am, then a wedding reception at 3:00, then my regular Sunday show at 9:00. This is how I will be able to afford my meds, eating fresh foods etc. and I can keep up a schedule like this when my health is back to normal.

I say this to illustrate how everything is connected and how the ripple effect influences your entire life. Amazing.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 07:02 am
PS no **** on the test trips and other supplies. I need to find a rich 80 year old woman with a wasting disease and a still raging libido to service. To an 80 year old, I'm a real stud. Laughing