What are you up to this Easter?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 07:25 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
the inside of the spout looks like it's ceramic,
i'm guessing it's gold leaf with possible solid gold adornments (the leaves and handle)
What do u think about
the firestorms that we caused over Dresden ?
djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 07:30 am
@djjd62,
gold is selling for about 1050 euros per ounce, the price of the teapot would include not only the price of materials but the craftsmanship as well, i'd be surprised if there's much more than 2 ounces of gold total, that would account for almost half the price
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 07:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
i don't want to derail msolga's thread so this will be all i say about the subject
i don't think about them at all, war is hell, the germans bombed england with conventional bombs and incendiaries, the payback might have been extreme, but the goal of war is victory
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 02:11 pm
Just dropping in to wish a Happy Easter to all who observe it.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 12:02 am
I have been to Dresden. Stayed in a very nice not expensive hotel in Dresden Neustadt.
Spent one day in Dresden looking at the sights, taking a tour of the city.
That was it - the rest of the time I spent walking around in Neustadt, simply can´t get enough of the place. Find it so attractive with the houses, streets, people. Had a fantastic lunch every day for 10 Euro in a new very expensive hotel. Palais Bülow. Loved walking along the river. I find Neustadt so genuiene and not so touristic.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 12:47 am
@saab,
The last couple of times (and this time, too), we stayed a bit outside of Dresden, in Radebeul.

What they are doing in this part of Saxony around Easter is actually a tradition from the nearby 'Franconian Switzerland': "Osterbrunnen" = people affix evergreens and handpainted Easter eggs to the central fountains at marketplaces.
saab

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It is lovely in Radebuel, but without a car I prefered a more central location.
I know that you as a German will just scream when you hear me saying:" I like when I hear people speak with a Saxon dialect. It sounds so friendly - I get in a good mood every time. But preferable so I understand it".
aidan

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:24 am
I would love to take a walking trip in Germany...someday...

Well, Easter turned out to be more beautiful than I could have planned. It was a lovely, sunny day. I got up and made an Easter bunny cake - I don't do all the candy for my kids anymore - but I wanted to do something to make it special for them.
My daughter gave me the beautiful azalea, which I can repot in a bigger pot and take with me wherever I go.
My son gave me the roses and with the irises - I had a dream about my dad and white roses and irises (two of his favorite flowers- he loved flowers and gardening) after he died - and my son saw these and remembered I had told him that- so I felt my dad with me all day.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/IMG_8658.jpg

Then I went out to lunch with Jack and George- my adopted British dads and best friends in England.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/IMG_8624-1.jpg

Jack made me laugh - turned out I couldn't go to church with him, as I had to go and pick up George earlier than expected so when I asked him what the sermon was about he said, 'The usual - Easter innit? Resurrection silly - what'd you think it'd be about - the Christmas story?!'
What a smart alec - but that's why I love him.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/IMG_8627.jpg
Then I went on a walk up on the Mendips with my dog and saw the most amazing sunset.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/IMG_8641-1.jpg

Then I fell asleep on the couch without having called my mother so she called me.
She's losing her mental acuity, but is becoming even sweeter and her language more poetic in the process.
She described the lovely spring day and all the flowering trees as 'alive and musical' - and said 'the trees that are supposed to be colors are many beautiful shades' - in other words - the flowering trees are all in bloom.

And then when I said, 'I love you and miss you mom' she said, 'I'll love you forever.'

So Easter was lovely. No work today - so I'll mow the lawn.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:38 am
@saab,
Tram, that's what we used to go to/from Dresden.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:41 am
@aidan,
Quote:
'The usual - Easter innit? Resurrection silly - what'd you think it'd be about - the Christmas story?!'

Reminds me of a "Silent Calvin Coolidge" story, if you can pardon the digression.

One day, Mrs. Coolidge was too ill to attend church, so she sent Cal with instructions to report back. He returned home and she asked what the service was about. "Sin", he answered. "Well, what did he say about it, Calvin?"

"He's against it", was her only answer.

aidan

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:09 am
@roger,
Yeah - he probably fell asleep- and so had to come up with some likely story.

I had to park in the church parking lot, as our little village was over-run with tourists yesterday - it being such a beautiful day and us living in an area of natural beauty - seriously - it proudly bears that label.

So I went up to Carol - the minister - as church was being let out to ask her if it was alright and this learning disabled parishioner - Trevor - grabbed me by the arm and said, 'When is Easter, Rebecca? Is it next week?'..
I think he may have missed the gist of the sermon...but nevermind - as long as he gets the big picture - and he does-he's a lovely guy.
Dutchy

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 03:02 am
@aidan,
Pleased you had such a wonderful Easter Aidan, from my observations so very well deserved!
aidan

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 03:06 am
@Dutchy,
Thank you Dutchy. I don't know that I deserved my mother and Jack and George - but oh my goodness - how blessed I feel that they all three happened to me. It's like a miracle.
I know you know what that's like.
Love to you and yours.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 05:01 am
Easter Monday evening here & I'm pooped!
I have spent another garden frenzy day.
I am covered in scratches & cuts & an itchy rash.
The trouble is, the more I do, the more I see needs doing!
So it looks like I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Neutral
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 05:50 am
@msolga,
Easter Monday afternoon (public holiday).

Some fresh strawberry cake with double cream after lunch.

Then, aunt visiting, cemetery and evening Mass.

Beautiful day again - 26°C and more since a couple of days now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 05:56 am
I did the Easter gardening too... we've had rain upon rain and there was a brief respite yesterday during which the abundant dandelions on my front lawn suddenly seemed intolerable. So I lit into them and dug up every last one. That was satisfying, both because they came out fairly easily due to the very saturated soil and because it was one of those things that seemed insurmountable when I started -- I just wanted to make as much of a dent as I could -- and then I actually finished the whole thing (with sozlet's help).

There are still more elsewhere, and SO much more weeding that needs to be done in general. But that one part was good.

Easter itself was nice. Highlight was the egg hunt/ treasure hunt. It was wet out so we had the hunt inside. The rule was that the first 16 eggs (4 each of purple, pink, blue, green) had candy in them and were visible, even if only some of the egg and only from certain angles. Then a golden egg was hidden more carefully -- it contained a written clue, to an egg that was hidden entirely (couldn't see it, just had to know where it was). That contained another clue, the next contained a last clue, to the location of the last egg which had the grand prize ($$). The clues were increasingly challenging and the last one drove her crazy but the look on her face when she figured it out was hilarious. Total lightbulb moment. (Afterwards, she said "my brain feels so good right now...")
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 06:06 am
@aidan,
my wifes sister had a patio dinner . It was great, she made a turkey and it was actually very very good. (Im not a big turkey lover and I dont care for the fall holiday's focus on eating as much dry turkey as one can consume. My SIL made hers very moist with bacon larding. The weather was great except for a T storm that sent us all inside to watch "The Kings SPeech". (We are such hicks to not have seen this one yet).

The drive to and from her place took the better part of 5 hours so we got home really late, (loaded down with traditional family "Care packages" of spare desserts. Im amazed at my wife amnd her sisters. They were able to put this family dinner for about 14 people (all kids were elsewhere) . SO it was just the old farts and middle aged farts
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 06:34 am
finished the windows inside finihed painted curtain rods and drapes dressed and hung.
Tomorrow (Anzac day holiday in liue) I get to start on the window trims outside.
The town was bedlam most of the weekend.
Went on a date with a girl on saturday evening to Rivers and Peaks music festival. $65.00 per head 4 bands. Was cold but fun.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:37 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Yeah - he probably fell asleep- and so had to come up with some likely story.

I had to park in the church parking lot, as our little village was over-run with tourists yesterday
Since the English drive on the rong side of the street,
do thay find it necessary to drive backward, also ??
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 12:55 am
Well, damn! The Easter Bunny has brought me bronchitis.