Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 11:10 pm
Quote:
And today, apparently, Donald Trump is that man. Trump, currently most famous for telling people that they are fired, has surged toward the top of the presidential primary polls. In one poll, he was in (remote) striking distance in a head-to-head against President Obama. Many people regard Trump as a joke and his popularity a disgrace. But he is actually riding a deep public fantasy: The hunger for the ultimate blowhard who can lead us through dark times.

He is riding something else: The strongest and most subversive ideology in America today. Donald Trump is the living, walking personification of the Gospel of Success.

It is obligatory these days in a polite society to have a complicated attitude toward success. If you attend a prestigious college or professional school, you are supposed to struggle tirelessly for success while denying that you have much interest in it. If you do achieve it, you are expected to shroud your wealth in locally grown produce, understated luxury cars and nubby fabrics.

Trump, on the other hand, is utterly oblivious to such conventions. When it comes to success, as in so many other things, he is the perpetual boy. He is the enthusiastic adventurer thrilled to have acquired a gleaming new bike, and doubly thrilled to be showing it off.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/opinion/19brooks.html?_r=1&hp

I dont buy it....I think the popularity of Trump is a giant **** YOU! to the political class of America. They sure as **** are not going to do anything worthwhile, so we may as well vocalize our disenfranchisement, and make something of our vote.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 6,628 • Replies: 82

failures art

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 01:00 am
If he's still playing this game com primaries, it won't matter if he wins or not. If he controls the media dialog in terms of attention, it means that other GOP candidates will have to go on record either condemning or endorsing the political narrative he is advancing.

People like Carl Rove must hate Trump right now because he is making birtherism a party litmus and that will not sail well with the general electorate. The GOP is many things, but they are not stupid. Rove et al are excellent constructors of narrative and political strategy. The longer this continues, the more it will complicate the landscape. I expect there to be a large conservative media blacklash from even the conservative media outlets to aid in this.

Already, O'Reilly has in no uncertain terms condemned birtherism and many other web meme rumors about Obama. This is good for both the Dems and the GOP. To the Dems, Obama can let the GOP argue amongst themselves about the issue, and to the GOP, they can still appeal to moderates as not all being birthers/crazy.

I'm quite positive that the GOP is aware of their challenge in finding the right candidate with moderate appeal but won't turn off the Tea Party types.

A
R
T
BillRM

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 03:28 am
@failures art,
Quote:
GOP is many things, but they are not stupid

Their voters sure the hell are stupid..........
revelette

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 07:16 am
If nothing else, a run between Trump and Obama ought to be interesting. I would just love to see them debate real issues.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 07:26 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Their voters sure the hell are stupid..........

This fact about democrats is well documented... just look at the turd in the White House.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 07:55 am
Trump will either go on Dancing With the Stars or run for the presidency.

Whichever one gets him the most attention . . .
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 08:17 am
@PUNKEY,

Don't give Barry any ideas... didn't he already do American Idiot?
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:31 am
Trump takes lumps in polls
Laughed off as a ‘liberal’

A poll and a scathing message from an influential anti-tax group serve as a blunt reminder to Donald Trump that there’s a long road ahead of him if he wants to be a serious contender for president.

With no clear favorite for the GOP’s 2012 presidential nominee, the Manhattan billionaire has spent months flirting with a White House bid and seen his name jump in some presidential polls, while he leveled stiff criticism at the Obama White House. He boasts about what he sees as his conservative credentials, overall smarts and top-notch business pedigree.

But the real estate and hotel magnate got a gut check Monday after Chris Chocola, president of the Club for Growth, called Mr. Trump’s potential candidacy a joke, labeling him as just another “tax-hiking liberal” and “the King of Protectionism” when it comes to international trade. Rasmussen Reports, meanwhile, released a poll that showed more than half of the people surveyed didn’t hold Mr. Trump in a positive light — a finding that the pollster said doesn’t bode well for anyone eyeing the White House.

“A lot of the Republican contenders struggle because nobody knows who they are, so they have low support,” said Scott Rasmussen, founder and president of Rasmussen Reports. “With Donald Trump, 53 percent of the country already have a unfavorable opinion of you. That’s a tough way to run for president.”

Those negatives run contrary to the warm reception Mr. Trump has received in recent months, including at the Conservative Political Action Conference, where he won a standing ovation after delivering a speech that bashed Mr. Obama’s tenure in the White House and repeated his claim that China should face taxes on imports until it stops manipulating its currency.

“And I can tell you this, if I run and if I win, this country will be respected again,” Mr. Trump told the crowd, sending them into a frenzy.

Since then, Mr. Trump has embarked on media blitz, where he has expressed doubts about the president’s birth certificate and whether Mr. Obama actually was born in Hawaii, reviving the so-called “birther” controversy that many have considered a dead issue.

Along the way, polls suggest, he has made himself into a top contender for the 2012 Republican nomination. The Real Clear Politics average of GOP presidential polls shows him running in third place behind former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

But many people wonder whether Mr. Trump is serious about running or simply is trying to score free press to promote his other business ventures, including the reality-TV series “The Apprentice.”

“I think Donald Trump is going to help his TV-show ratings,” Mr. Rasmussen said.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 10:21 am
Yes, Trump would be considered a joke if anyone else was in office, but
he looks like a better choice than Obama (and who doesn't) right now.
BillRM

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:03 pm
@H2O MAN,
Yes a man who have major compounds of his business empire go into bankrupted at least three times and who cheerfully hand the short end to his fellow investors time after time is far better then Obama.
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:10 pm
I think this is likely to happen a few times before a real Republican nominee emerges, as "none of the above" is personified in some form and then when he/ she seems to be getting traction, it becomes "Wait I don't actually want to vote for that candidate! I just don't like Obama or any of the other Republican candidates right now!"

There is still room for someone who currently is not given any chance to emerge from the shadows, like Clinton did when he ran against George Bush I. But none of the current Republican possibilities seem to be getting much enthusiasm.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:16 pm
@BillRM,
Obama is bankrupting an entire nation.
BillRM

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:41 pm
@H2O MAN,
Yes indeed and he was given a country in fine economic conditions with no problems at all because of the fine and wonderful 8 years of GOP management.

So there was no reason at all to pump Federal money by the truck lot to keep from going into a great despression.
BillRM

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:13 pm
Well this is Trump in the year 2000 so I guess H2O he was not always a complete asshole and joke.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We must have universal healthcare," wrote Trump. "I'm a conservative on most issues but a liberal on this one. We should not hear so many stories of families ruined by healthcare expenses."

The goal of health care reform, wrote Trump, should be a system that looks a lot like Canada. "Doctors might be paid less than they are now, as is the case in Canada, but they would be able to treat more patients because of the reduction in their paperwork," he writes.

The Canadian plan also helps Canadians live longer and healthier than Americans. There are fewer medical lawsuits, less loss of labor to sickness, and lower costs to companies paying for the medical care of their employees. If the program were in place in Massachusetts in 1999 it would have reduced administrative costs by $2.5 million. We need, as a nation, to reexamine the single-payer plan, as many individual states are doing.

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:50 pm
@BillRM,
Trump is an Asshole and a Joke, but he is still a better man than Obama.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:51 pm
@BillRM,
LOL!!

You must have the direct feed from Barry's teleprompter.
Pumping truckloads of taxpayer money into local unions did nothing to help America.
All Obama's stimulus spending bill did was stimulate votes for Obama.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:16 am

It's beginning to look like Trump is an operative for Obama's democrats. More liberal obfuscation.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 08:29 am
Nellie the Elephant packed her trunk
and said goodby to the circus
off she went with a trumpetty trump
Trump, trump, trump
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 05:57 am
This morning on Morning Joe, he suggested people would like what Trump said regarding Iraq's oil. (probably too soon for a link)

Trump: Stay in Iraq and Take Over the Oil
Quote:

DONALD TRUMP: I've never said this before. This is the first on your show. Good luck with it. Run with it. In the old days when you had wars, you win, right? You win. To the victor belonged the spoils. So when we go to Iraq, we spend $1.4 trillion so far and thousands of lives are lost, right? And not to mention all the poor guys and gals with one arm and no arm and all the facts, right?

BILL O'REILLY: Absolutely. Right.

TRUMP: And we're going to leave and 15 minutes after we leave, Iran is going to go into Iraq.

O'REILLY: And what do you do to Iran if that happens if you are president?

TRUMP: Nobody is going to have enough heart to want to go back.

O'REILLY: No, no but you are going to be president.

TRUMP: You've got to stay and keep the oil.

O'REILLY: You're going to be -- you're going to be in office, Iran comes in, tries to take the oil. What do you do?

TRUMP: Bill, Bill, you stay and you keep the oil. If Iran is going to take over the oil, we stay and we keep the oil.

O'REILLY: All right. But if they're out of there, which they will be…

TRUMP: Excuse me.

O'REILLY: …in '12 they are going to be out of there. So say you win the presidency.

TRUMP: We shouldn't be out of there. What we should do is take over…

O'REILLY: Shouldn't, wouldn't, Obama is going to pull them.

TRUMP: Bill, Bill.

O'REILLY: There's going to be about 20,000 left.

TRUMP: As sure as you are sitting there, Iran, two minutes after we leave, Iran is going to come in…

O'REILLY: We know that.

TRUMP: …and take over the oil.

O'REILLY: Well, what do you do about it?

TRUMP: You stay and protect the oil and you take the oil and you take whatever is necessary for them and you take what's necessary for us and we pay our self back $1.5 trillion or more. We take care of Britain, we take care of other countries that helped us and we don't be so stupid.

You know, we're the only country and if you look at wars over the years and I study wars, OK? My whole life is a war. You look at wars over the years. A country goes in, they conquer and they stay. We go in, we conquer and then we leave. And we hand it to people that we don't even know. Now, who are the people that are going to be running Iraq? The person that hates the United States the most will be running Iraq. So, in a nutshell, we go in, we take over the second largest oil fields and we stay.

Do any of you think Joe might be right, would American voters just come out and embrace that kind of thinking? I have a horrible feeling they just might.

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 06:02 am
@revelette,
Trump sounds like a liberal.
0 Replies