How would you fix the U.S Government?

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 06:53 am
@Ionus,
Wouldn't getting rid of all of the countries in Europe and making them one big country be a good thing?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:50 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
Wouldn't getting rid of all of the countries in Europe and making them one big country be a good thing?
It woud be a BAD thing.
Inevitaby, it 'd fall into a despotism.

Fragmentation is good.

Governmental weakness is GOOD.

David
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:57 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Agreed and that was my point when I replied to this.

Ionus wrote:

You dont have one country.....you have 50 states . Wouldnt getting rid of the states be a good start ?
djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:00 am
@H2O MAN,
yes but the US is already a country, not a collection of little countries
Fido

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:06 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Agreed and that was my point when I replied to this.

Ionus wrote:

You dont have one country.....you have 50 states . Wouldnt getting rid of the states be a good start ?

We could do well, better, or at least as well with the house of Reps only... We could do great if the house of reps represented at the original number suggested, of one for every 30k... And I know it would mean a lot of reps, but each well in touch with their districts, and not necessarily near the staff, the experts, the lawyers, the bagmen... How about a group with each member dedicated to his constituents, each having virtue in excess of his price??? Flood the market and lower the price, but as it stands, the Senate is a magnet for corruption, in its nature undemocratic, and the whole body is an enemy of the people... Why should Alaska or Montana have the same representation as California or New York??? Who does that serve???
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:10 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

yes but the US is already a country, not a collection of little countries
We are nearly Feudal in our arrangement... Every little village or town has its own local Leroy, its cops, its ordinances, and its system... The overlap of law across the board is a threat to everyone...There is not one part of it that defends anyone who cannot already defend themselves with it... It keeps the top on top and the bottom where it belongs
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:12 am
@djjd62,
And that's the way it should stay.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 09:09 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
You dont have one country.....you have 50 states.
Wouldnt getting rid of the states be a good start ?
Ionus, the original theory (federalism: duelling sovereignties)
was that the different governments woud fight against one another, operating to the freedom
of the Individual -- the citizens who created the damned things.

Think of it as COMPETING merchants, under-cutting each other.

Sadly, we betrayed one another in 1861
and we stabbed one another in the back, reducing our immunity to despotism.

U fail to render the proper contempt and loathing
that every government ex officio deserves. That failure is dangerous and unpatriotic, Ionus. Shame, shame, shame !

There shoud be a law against that sort of thing.

David
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:07 pm
I don't understand this thread. The federal government is the about the only thing in this country that runs well.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:09 pm
@Advocate,
You'll have to discuss that with georgeob.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:28 pm
@Advocate,

Yep, the federal government is doing a great job of running this country into a deep ditch.

If that's what your plan is, why change a thing?

Ionus

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:17 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
I certainly think so .

I dont know if they can be called countries, when you look at how much the borders have wandered all over the place . The national borders do not mark the limits of a group of people and now the problem they have with eastern illegal immigrants.....they appear more as silly state boundaries than countries . But I would like to see boundaries come down.....technology is making war and terrorism way to dangerous to live on our little rock under fragmented, violent, artificial distinctions .
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 07:06 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Yep, the federal government is doing a great job of running this country into a deep ditch.

If that's what your plan is, why change a thing?

The whole country is in a deep ditch... Most of the states are broke... No one has the courage to tax those with the money, and no one has the power to prevent imports of goods, or export of capital... We have a system where everyone has power but no one has responsibility... We are stuck with no power and left holding the bag on everything.. Any what do they say: We have democracy, so it is all your fault, and now look what you done... Well; we didn't done it... We never had a vote on anything except who we would send to hell by corruption... No vote is not democracy... Give me a vote at least before you blame me...
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 09:03 am
@Fido,
Yep, the Obama regime is hell bent on ruining this country.
Advocate

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 09:06 am
@Fido,
I referred to the operation of the federal government. The operation of the various local and state governments varies like crazy. The various federal agencies operate very efficiently and, regarding this, are the envy of the world.
Fido

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:20 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Yep, the Obama regime is hell bent on ruining this country.

No, water... The problem is that they, and most of us are blinded by the forms of our economy and government... They cannot see beyond their paradigm, and they can imagine nothing beyond their field of vision; but Jefferson had formal consciousness, and it is revealed in the Delaration... People can change their forms if they do not wish to be destroyed by them... But you have to see it, otherwise all you see is a confusion of problems that have been a long time growing up, and coming home to roost... They could all be swept away with a whisk broom... But to most minds they are simply intractable...
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:23 pm
@Fido,
No, pup... the Obama regime ignores our constitution in their fake pursuit of fairness for all.
Fido

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:29 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

I referred to the operation of the federal government. The operation of the various local and state governments varies like crazy. The various federal agencies operate very efficiently and, regarding this, are the envy of the world.
What part of the world??? Would that be the rich that see the people laboring under the illusion of Democracy??? When Germany had a chance to start over they rejected our backwards constitution as if a can of worms... They needed a democracy that worked, and one that would deliver social justice... We have only survived as well as we have because of the abundence of resources, but as more and more is going into the hands of the rich and out of the commonwealth, we find that our government is no protection, and not even an impediment to our being made slaves... There was a time, long before the parties locked down the house of reps to a fixed number when the bureaucracy had to deliver justice along with services... If the bureaucracy did not work, the candidate was not elected...If it functions with clockwork efficiency and does not deliver the goods to the people it is an enemy of the people... I think we most lack responsive goverment, and we have too many, including the parties who have never been elected to anything... Why could we not elect cabinate heads???Let people stand up and defend their plans or past actions... Or does the thing stand only because we have no democracy???
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:32 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

No, pup... the Obama regime ignores our constitution in their fake pursuit of fairness for all.
They all ignore the constitution... They all swear to uphold it and then go about getting around it... We would not have anything resembling the government we do if they did not all **** all over the letter and spirit of the constitution... It is nutty... And you are nutty as squirrel **** if you think the constitution is a document that any of them actually loves and obeys...
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:37 pm
@Fido,
Fido, you are bat **** crazy, but I'll keep reading what you post because you make me laugh.