joefromchicago

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 11:13 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I worked as a legal journalist in Michigan. My mother also urged me to become a lawyer and I did some investigation into how various law schools were profiled.

I defer to your obvious expertise.
Below viewing threshold (view)
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 12:03 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Good post, edgar. BTW, I felt that Hilary could not win, not because she was Hilary burdened with the negative reception of her personality in the opinion of many and with her husband, also in the opinion of many, but because this country and its Constitution gave the vote to black men before it gave the vote to women, whether black or white.

I just feel that there is a sort of track that was laid down. When you consider that white people continued to keep black people under their thumbs through Jim Crow laws, poll taxes, sham trials and rewritten history books (my high school history text said the Civil War was not fought over slavery but states' rights and that the villains were the participants in Reconstruction), it really was more important that a black man became president before any woman did.

We will disagree on this point. I want what is best for the nation both short term and long term. I did not think the color or sex was as important as that consideration at this time.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 12:17 pm
@plainoldme,
You must be thinking about the war between the states because there has not yet been a civil war in this country.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 12:22 pm
NEW YORK – The budget deal, angrily rejected by Nancy Pelosi as it passed Thursday, was the last straw. Patricia Murphy on why some liberals are now pushing for a primary challenge to the president.

As President Obama headed to Chicago Thursday afternoon to kick off the first official fundraiser of his re-election campaign, he left behind a sizable collection of dispirited Democrats.

They were not relishing the chance to vote on a budget-cutting bill that had been forged without their input and that most found repugnant.

The compromise that Obama struck last week with House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to keep the federal government running contained steep cuts to some of the party’s most cherished programs—nutrition for poor women and children, long-stalled transportation projects, funding for community health centers—as well as language barring the District of Columbia from using its own tax dollars to finance abortions.

Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO), chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, warned that the $38 billion in promised cutbacks would hurt the most vulnerable Americans. “We don’t have enough time to talk about the ways it violates our values,” he told The Daily Beast.

There is no more visible symbol of Democratic disgruntlement than the woman who was perhaps the president’s closest ally when she wielded the speaker’s gavel. When Nancy Pelosi voted against the budget measure Thursday, she did little to hide her anger with the White House over the fact that Obama, for the first time, had left her out of the negotiations on a major deal. Instead, he chose to work directly with Boehner and Reid to hammer out the compromise that each could take back to their caucuses for approval.

“I have been very disappointed in the administration to the point where I’m embarrassed that I endorsed him,” one senior Democratic lawmaker said. “It’s so bad that some of us are thinking, is there some way we can replace him? How do you get rid of this guy?”

“I feel no ownership of that or responsibility to it, except to say we don’t want to shut down the government,” the minority leader said. “As was pretty evident, House Democrats were not a part of that agreement.”

Pelosi sounded miffed by the enhanced status that Obama granted Boehner and Reid. “They were the ones that had the votes, so they had the strength to negotiate and the president presided over that,” she said. (Eighty-one House Democrats voted for the measure, more than offsetting defections by 59 of Boehner’s Republicans.)

For many Democrats, the budget bill was only the latest in a string of disappointments served up from the White House since 2009, when Obama swept into office on a tide of goodwill and a platform of base-pleasing promises they say he hasn’t lived up to. On the list are his pledges to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay, pass comprehensive immigration reform, and end the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans.

In 2008, for example, Obama promised Latino groups that he would pass comprehensive reform within a year of taking office. But he made no serious push to do so when the Democrats controlled the House and Senate. Latinos are further incensed over the fact that his administration is deporting a record number of illegal immigrants, more than under George W. Bush.

In protest, Illinois Rep. Luis Gutierrez launched a cross-country tour, complete with a stop in Chicago on Saturday, to urge the administration to make its enforcement more compassionate. “I have made no secret of the fact that I think the president can do more to keep families together and that the focus of changes this year needs to be administrative and procedural because legislation is very unlikely,” Gutierrez said Thursday.

Some legislative grumbling is inevitable when a party returns to power after eight years. But a number of Democrats are past protesting the president, discussing among themselves ways to recruit a primary challenger in 2012.

“I have been very disappointed in the administration to the point where I’m embarrassed that I endorsed him,” one senior Democratic lawmaker said. “It’s so bad that some of us are thinking, is there some way we can replace him? How do you get rid of this guy?” The member, who would discuss the strategy only on the condition of anonymity, called the discontent with Obama among the caucus “widespread,” adding: “Nobody is saying [they want him out] publicly, but a lot of people wish it could be so. Never say never.”

A serious challenge still seems unlikely. One Democrat who has repeatedly criticized Obama but won’t oppose him next year is Dennis Kucinich, the liberal Democrat from Ohio who ran for president in 2008 and reiterated Thursday that he won’t be making another run in 2012.

Kucinich said he disagrees strongly with Obama’s policies on Iraq, Afghanistan, civil liberties, and the budget, but added that even Obama could not live up to the expectations House Democrats had for him when he came into office. Instead, he made clear that the president may no longer be able to take his Hill allies for granted.

“Congressional Democrats are going to have to reassert themselves,” Kucinich said. “Instead of waiting for direction from the White House, we’re going to have to give direction to the White House.”

Patricia Murphy is a writer in Washington, D.C., where she covers Congress and politics. She is a graduate of Vanderbilt University and the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism.

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 01:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

NEW YORK – The budget deal, angrily rejected by Nancy Pelosi as it passed Thursday, was the last straw.
Patricia Murphy on why some liberals are now pushing for a primary challenge to the president.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNBOuq8cfgx-B4nBSCI7N0RO68Dif6ImimNdznpdfm4OrP6dO9&t=1

BTW, does anyone know if Pelosi has acute angina?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 02:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
I had a six degrees from Kevin Bacon situation with Hilary. I would have been uncomfortable with voting for her had she been the candidate.

My two older kids were very enthused about Obama from the start. The youngest was always sceptical, but, he tends to be more sceptical than his siblings.

I have been pleased with her as secretary of state.

I think there is another Democrat positioning himself for a White House run: Deval Patrick.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 02:53 pm
The Kevin Bacon reference was lost on me, as I don't know a thing about him.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 02:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm sorry. There was a play, Six Degrees of Separation, that grew out of a theory by an Eastern European writer that people are connected with others by no more than five acquaintances. A game called Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, which connected actors to Kevin Bacon, came out of that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:02 pm
Well, I had reservatons about Hillary, but less about her than Barak. Edwards I flat did not like, since the time he ran for VP. I would have had to twist my own arm to vote for him.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edwards turned out to be a miserable little liar.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:12 pm
@plainoldme,
There was an interview with Patrick on NPR earlier in the week. He was, for the most part, talking about his new biography.
I must admit I was not very familiar with him. He is the current 2-term Gov of Mass.
He was a poor kid raised in Chicago. His dad walked out on the family when Patrick was 4. He relates chasing after his dad, until he got slapped to the ground and saw his father continue walking.
He won a scholarship to the exclusive boys' boarding school called Milton Academy in Mass and went on to law school and eventually into politics. He had a few witty comments about his time at Milton.
He came across to me as a good person.
He is eligible to run for a 3rd term as Gov, but says he will not run and also has no aspirations for higher office.
I looked at his accomplishments as Gov, which look to me (as a liberal but not a Mass resident) significant. But his approval ratings in Mass have been well below 50% at times.
Am I correct on that?

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:17 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

A left wing nut liar?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 11:22 pm
@realjohnboy,
You are. His wife had some problems with depression and he ran up some bills redecorating his office and driving a Cadillac. He has a great deal of charisma. He was on The Daily Show and was easy going and funny.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 05:22 pm
@snood,
Nothing wrong with it Snood, but that's not what she said.

She said there was nothing wrong with voting for Obama because he was black, because there was a national wrong to redress.

Is that why you voted for Obama?

It certainly had nothing to do with my not voting for him.

Of course very many of the people who voted for Obama would have voted for him if was white, simply because he was the Democrat's candidate, but I don't think that was necessarily the case for voters in the Democratic primaries.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 05:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Nemmee.
At least not yet.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 05:27 pm
@plainoldme,
Yes, we are a right of center nation, but we have areally lefty in the White House now. That he seems a centrist to you only points out how far on the left you reside.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 05:33 pm
@plainoldme,
Good Lord but that is just the sort of idiotic thinking I'm arguing against.

Blacks deserved the presidency before women because black men got the vote before women did?

You vote for the person who you believe can best serve the nation, and not for the candidate who is a member of an identity group whose turn you think it is.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 05:39 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Sounds like someone else I know who now lives in the White House, and a whole lot of liberals loved them both.
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 05:43 pm
Obama is also a miserable little liar. How's that Gitmo closing going? Never attacking a nation that was no threat? Big stimulus but no jobs. Union payoffs. Lied about the cost of health care bill. $4 gas.

Can't blame Bush for this crap. And he's running for re-election. Most people with this record would be too embarrassed to run again. Not him. He knows how devoted and how stupid his constituents are.