RABEL222

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:28 pm
@realjohnboy,
Perhaps the multimillionare dem legislators are the problem. None of them want a tax increase on big money. It aint just the republicans who are screwing all of us.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:29 pm
@RABEL222,
Good point.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
He fell to a new low with me when his words didn't at all match his policy on education a couple of weeks ago.

Love the words.

Hate the policy.

Still scratching my head and asking WTF?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:54 pm
Still scratching my head and asking WTF?

Been doing that for over a year, just never expressed it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:54 pm
I understand but do not accept compromise. If you know -- even if you only feel -- that you are right, why would you compromise?

But Obama doesn't compromise; he rolls over and plays dead.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:57 pm
@plainoldme,
I think most of us can tell the difference between compromise and capitulation. One thing that has bothered me for a long time - I recall when Obama first became became a viable candidate, I was questioning why so many of his closest associates were Republicans.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:58 pm
@boomerang,
Hi, boomerang. I reckon I missed the discussion on education. Please briefly tell me what Obama said vs what he had promised earlier. Thank you.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
When Michele and Barack were at Harvard Law -- separately -- Charles Oglethorpe never asked them about politics but assumed they were Republicans.
boomerang

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
It isn't really what he said v. what he promised. It's what he said v. what he did.

He said a few weeks ago that he didn't believe high stakes testing was a good idea while his education department has been making them a bigger deal than ever.

Here's an NYT rundown on it: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/education/07education.html?_r=1&hpw

And another: http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/living-in-dialogue/2011/04/the_department_of_education_ca.html

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:11 pm
Has anybody thought of a viable candidate?
plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Your question reminded me of that old television show, "The Dating Game." I always wanted to be a contestant and, when the time came to pick the bachelor, I would ask if they could bring out the next three.

I see nothing in the democratic ranks and what I see in the republican is abysmal. Speaking of abysmal, Willard Romney filed today. I detest that dude.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:19 pm
@plainoldme,
We can let the question simmer. Nobody ever heard of a number of our elected presidents before they started running.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm sort of rad by U.S. views (aka retro) so who I might like wouldn't by definition be viable. But I have my non rad ways. Will cogitate.

But to me, the whole thing of being super reasonable with kumquats is a losing move.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:23 pm
@ossobuco,
There are a few I like, but don't think they could carry an election.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Which is to say from me, bring on the noise. This nice stuff is getting annoying.

Oh, look at the poor being filling for crepes..
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:34 pm
How many Democrats on this thread wish Hillary was sitting in the Oval Office?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:40 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
as opposed to whom?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:45 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
That's a damn good question.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 08:03 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

I'm inclined to believe people will vote for literally anyone if their campaign has enough money behind it.
Amen.

I'll admit that I'm fairly ignorant of the entire process of campaigning, but I can't for the life of me figure how it is acceptable that massive amounts of money are used for the cause.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 08:05 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
She was my first choice. I only settled for Obama.