plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 08:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks. I do not think that that was the reference. I do think Ogletree was funny. He made a great straight man for the antics of Colbert.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:35 pm
I agree that this is not a big deal. It is a minor point about making accurate references to people. Saying my insistence on verification is "rightwing" is about as asinine a thing as you can say. I hope.

I understand you trying to make this into "Snood is being emotional", when it it's pretty obvious you were trying to namedrop Ogletree to make a stupid point.

But whadya know? You never said anything about it being in jest.

That makes a big difference. Your accusing me of being emotional about this is a petty dodge. You gave the impression Ogletree thought they were republican. You did that to bolster the point you keep lamely trying to make about Obama acting like a republican now. We now find out (no help from you) that he was joking; meaning he actually thought the exact opposite of what you were saying.

I think you tried to pass a lame deception by and got caught at it.

Thanks, Butrfly.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:51 pm
Quote:
After months of mixed signals about what he was willing to fight for, Obama finally laid out his purposes and his principles. His approach has difficulties of its own, and much will depend on execution. But the president was unequivocal in arguing that the roots of our fiscal problems lie in the tax cuts of the past decade that we could not afford.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/obamas-deficit-speech-worthy-of-a-president/2011/04/13/AFfAimXD_story.html?hpid=z4

As true as this is, it is only one side of the problem. Even with none of the tax cuts we still would have ended up not paying our bills. Lets remember that debt funds 1/3 of the government, the loss of available tax generating potential is only partly responsible for all this debt being taken on. Entitlement spending is ballooning and will get much worse as of now as the baby boomers retire. Given that we promised more than we could ever hope to deliver, and then let the health care system get Obese and disfunctional on top of that, all the tax cuts that we could not afford did was bring judgement day closer. Professor Obama has either failed to understand the problem (unlikely) or he is doing what all other politicians do which is tell lies rather than unpopular truths.

So much for Obama reforming Washington, he can not even reform himself.
Below viewing threshold (view)
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 07:44 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

First of all, Harvard Law is primarily a business law school.

Say what?
revelette

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 07:52 am
@hawkeye10,
I read a good of the transcript of his speech yesterday and the way I understand it, raising taxes which are at low levels, is only part of what he plans. He also plans on finding ways to cuts more waste in all areas that need it including medicare without stripping it bare the way the republicans want. My question to you, what is your answer to the deficit; in specifics?

Transcript
revelette

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 11:48 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Obama creates the largest, most expensive and wasteful government
in American history and then offers to trim a little of the fat off.

put up your evidence or shut up h20 man.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
He's definitely what I expected, but I can certainly understand the disappointment of those who were his huge fans in 2008.

Face it, he conned you. There was never any reason to believe he could deliver on his campaign rhetoric.

You bought the crap because you wanted to...he's black; he's eloquent.

At least some of you have recognized his B.S.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

He's definitely what I expected, but I can certainly understand the disappointment of those who were his huge fans in 2008.

Face it, he conned you. There was never any reason to believe he could deliver on his campaign rhetoric.

He already has delivered on a lot of it, and on other issues... not so much. But, there are some mitigating factors.

Quote:
You bought the crap because you wanted to...he's black; he's eloquent.

This is a moronic thing to say, but no worse than your usual slurs.

Quote:
At least some of you have recognized his B.S.

I get the distinct impression that you are either stoned or drunk at the moment, Finn, given the last few posts of yours I've seen on the site Laughing

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The last resort of a weak fool is to accuse his opponent of drunkenness.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The last resort of a weak fool is to accuse his opponent of drunkenness.

What about being stoned tho? Do you deny it, sir? Laughing

You have two different writing styles, and in the past, have admitted to posting while intoxicated; and the style today seems to match the style then. Nothing to be ashamed of; but why deny it?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Good to see you're a loyal carl Cyclo. I would have sworn you were a personally indulgent ****.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Good to see you're a loyal carl Cyclo. I would have sworn you were a personally indulgent ****.

I don't know what that means. Sounds like a pretty good insult tho, so I may start using it myself.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, finn, finn -
I voted for him only after my first choice was eliminated. I voted for him because I wanted a Democrat to replace the insanity of the preceding 8 (ocho) years. His color had nothing to do with my decision to vote for him. I am disappointed in him the same way I was disappointed in Clinton. For steering us toward Republican goals instead of fighting them. If he fights the good fight at least I can say it was a fight. I will vote for him again (his re-election seems almost inevitable) because at least he is stalling much of the Republican agenda. Wishing for a better candidate is not the same as dumping a candidate. Holy crap. If one of those loonies seeking the Republican nod gets in, it will be even worse than GW Bush this time.
Irishk

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The title of this thread always gives me a bit of a start when I see it. I'm sure that wasn't Edgar's intention, but still...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 09:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It is, and your welcome to it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 09:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar, edgar, edgar...

If you say his race had nothing to do with your vote, I believe you. It certainly had nothing to do with my vote.

But...let's be honest. There were a whole lot of people who voted for him because he is black...and not just his fellow blacks.

I might hope that you will take a break in 2012 for idealogical reasons, but I recognize that this is too much to expect. No matter how he has disappointed you, he must seem a better choice than any Republican.

However...I am hoping that he has pissed off enough Lefties to the extent that they will decide not to vote.

A silly decision in my opinion, but one I hope many of your fellow travelers come to terms with.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 09:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I can't be in the heads of people who voted color. I feel certain there are people who vote that way. But who and how many? It's not a question to ask me. I do know personally and have read the words of many more, that voted against his color. So, it's a wash. Many more were sick of Bush/Cheney than were seeking a black president. Any viable Democrat, once nominated, would have won, barring stupid mistakes. The whole country crashed. No way the ones most responsible were getting away with it.