hawkeye10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:48 pm
@snood,
Quote:
For him to "suspect" that they were republicans makes no damn sense.
for starters, how many black conservatives has Ogletree run into at Harvard? Why in the world would Ogletree suspect that he saw such a rare bird as a black conservative at such an overwhelmingly liberal school such as Harvard?
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:57 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I don't think my expectations were unrealistic. I also think that Obama has had his share of disasters. In many ways, I feel sorry for him. However, I find him wussy.

You might find this interesting, POM. Rasmussen polling does a 3-day rolling poll on Obama (meaning that the approval rating on, say, Sunday is made up of polls taken Thursday, Friday and Saturday while the one on Monday drops Thursday and adds Monday).
Approve - Disapprove =
Wed 4/6: -3
Thur 4/7: -5
Fri 4/8: -5
Sat 4/9: -7
Sun 4/10: -9
Mon 4/11: -11
Tue 4/12: -8
Wed 4/13: -3
A lot of people (mostly, I expect, Dems) felt that Obama was being wussy on the 2011 budget bill vs government shutdown thing. It turns out that there was less in the legislation then meets the eye. That came out on Monday and his approval ratings have gone up while his disapproval ratings have gone down.
I expect that the poll on Sat or Sun will get him into + territory.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:15 pm
I don't know what was said about Obama, re being mistaken for a Republican. I am expressing disappointment because of what is going on now. As I recall, Clinton got very good polls most of the time, but I was disappointed with him much of the time.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:26 pm
@edgarblythe,

No intelligent and rational American would ever mistaken PrezBO for a republican.

Obama is a far left wing radical progressive marxist.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:29 pm
@H2O MAN,
Obama is nowhere near as far left as you frightened fundamentalists claim he is.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:29 pm
@snood,
Why don't you believe that? People frequently make assumptions about the politics of others.

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:30 pm
@edgarblythe,

Head in the sand denial is how you Obama apologist live your day-to-day life.

Obama is a far left wing radical progressive marxist.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:36 pm
@H2O MAN,
Say it often enough and you may one day come to believe it. Anyway, if you have nothing to offer, how about bugging off?
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:45 pm
@edgarblythe,

Actually, it is you and Obama that have nothing of substance to offer anyone.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
First of all, Harvard Law is primarily a business law school. Why would you think that conservatives are rare birds at any of the Harvard schools?
plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Obama is nowhere near as far left as you frightened fundamentalists claim he is.

Agreed.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:03 pm
@plainoldme,

Obama is nowhere near to the center as ignorant Obama apologists claim he is.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:58 pm
Obama said he would balance the budget, end the wars, and raise taxes on the rich. These were the three things I was interested in. The only one he has done is health care and it is flawed because he dident get single payer. OK all you Obamaites, post your long line of things he has done but in my opinion 1 out of three aint good. Please dont take this as an endorsement of any of the flock of repubs that are currently running!
plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:05 pm
@RABEL222,
I thought we would get single payer. I attended a rally/discussion in Northampton, MA that led me to believe single payer was the will of the nation.

It is my understanding that Rahm Emmanuel was not in favor of single payer and that he crafted the insurance provider friendly bill that was passed.

My reluctance to vote for candidate Obama originated in his talk about Afghanistan during his run. I now have a son in Afghanistan. How ironic. I was not happy with the rest of the candidates, including Hilary.

It is obvious that the top 1% has the nation in a vice grip. I don't think that any president could or can or will be able to loosen that grip.
snood

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:16 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Why don't you believe that? People frequently make assumptions about the politics of others.

Hmmm that's funny, I thought I clearly said why I doubt it. Obama and Michelle have always espoused liberal democratic principles. Barack talked about being concerned with poor people and the disadvantaged before he even became a politician. This would not be lost on someone like Ogletree, unless he had his eyes and ears always closed when he interacted with Michelle and Barack.

There's no reason he would have assumed they were republican, if he knew them even superficially. Now, of course if he just made an assumption based on his first glance of them, and not based on anything but haircuts and clothing, I suppose anyone can assume anything about anyone.

It just doesn't sound like something Ogletree would say, to me. If you could just find where you read it, that would help.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:25 pm
@snood,
But, why do you think it is impossible for Ogletree to have originally judged them to have been Republicans? President Obama has hardly lived up to the reputation of Senator Obama.

BEsides, what is it to you if a person that I would guess you never met -- Charles Ogletree -- initially saw another person you never met -- Barack Obama -- as a Republican?

The level of your personal disturbance is rather misplaced. That eagle whatever his nom d'email is thinks of Harvard solely as a liberal school is to be expected. He isn't upset about it but you are upset about my quoting what I remember Ogletree having said about Barack and Michele. Why?

Now, I have been upset by the general trend of several threads. There was one recent thread whose responses were universally wrong headed. However, the thread was not about something that is going to change the future, so I just walked away from it.

Even if I am incorrect about Charles Ogletree having said that, even if Lawrence Tribe or Duncan Kennedy (who I have met although I wouldn't say I knew him) or Alan Dershowitz said it, does it matter?
snood

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:49 pm
@plainoldme,
Jesus. I'm going to try this once more, then I'm through because you are either acting very dense, or you are very dense.

It matters if you made the whole thing up - there's a word for using names of people and attributing things to them that aren't true; lying.

It matters to me what Ogletree thought of them because his opinions matter to me - I've read and admire his work. I like and admire the Obamas.

I'm not "upset" about anything - I was just pointing out that what you said didn't strike me as true, and I was trying to get you to substantiate it.

You've since done everything but substantiate it - including now saying it might not even have been Ogletree that said it.

So substantiate it, retract it or just go on about your business. At this point that really doesn't matter to me.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 07:13 pm
@snood,
Jesus yourself. You're challenging my memory. When I read that squib a couple of years back, I thought it funny.

Besides, if I remember it, how does that make me dense?

As for your admiration for Ogletree, so what if he says something that you are uncomfortable with? That neither makes him less admirable nor does it make your admiration misplaced.

And you sound like a screaming rightie, demanding I substantiate it. I tried googling comments made by Ogletree about Obama and found several that were substantially the same: generally about how analytical he was and how he was able to juggle several tasks at once. I also did a search through Harvard Magazine, as it could have been a source. The magazine never spoke with Ogletree about Obama. Finally, I would have searched through the Boston Globe archives but I have $1.10 in my checking account. In fact, I didn't go to work today because I didn't have money to buy gasoline.

But, it would serve you more to prove me wrong than for me to prove you right.

And the emotional frenzy you are in is becoming sillier to me. The response is out of proportion to the stimulus, particularly since Obama has been conducting himself like a Republican and not like an upstart leftist.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 07:44 pm
Regarding Charles Ogletree and the Obamas, watch this video of Comedy Central's Indecision 2008 starting at about 2:30. Ogletree says exactly what POM stated he said. What doesn't come across in POM's quote is that it was said in jest.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-november-4-2008/indecision-2008--charles-ogletree
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 07:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
What doesn't come across in POM's quote is that it was said in jest.
Ya, a big difference between a fake news show on a comedy channel and the Boston Globe.....
0 Replies