RABEL222

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 09:50 am
He caught you POM! Who would be more likely to recognize a straw man than Ren?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 09:57 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya. Smells better around here already. Nothing stinks worse than an old lefty who never grew up,
I meant I am putting you on ignore, and no peeking. I am not giving a jerkwad like you my thread. When you can post like an adult instead of a 12 year old juvenile delinquent, pass the word through the other posters and I will reconsider. In the meantime, to me, you no longer exist.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:09 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Quote:
I haven't seen you make one topic-related post yet. Impress me.

It seems that you have no idea what a straw man is. Think of a book. Does a non-fiction book ABOUT anything (acting, the environment, oil production, a memoir) ever deal with a single aspect of its subject? Of course not. A single post could address several issues and not contain a straw man.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:10 am
@RABEL222,
No, he did not. He failed to give a correct definition of a straw man.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
plainoldme

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:59 am
From wiki:
A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

From the Purdue OWL, a leading grammar and writing style site:

Straw Man: This move oversimplifies an opponent's viewpoint and then attacks that hollow argument.

People who don't support the proposed state minimum wage increase hate the poor.

In this example the author attributes the worst possible motive to an opponent's position. In reality, however, the opposition probably has more complex and sympathetic arguments to support their point. By not addressing those arguments, the author is not treating the opposition with respect or refuting their position.
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 11:19 am
@edgarblythe,
Speaking of acting like a child...........
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 11:36 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Speaking of acting like a child...........

Well, you do realise, however, that this really is a thread created by edgar?

YOU ARE POSTING ON HIS THREAD AND HE ASKED YOU TO ... see above.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 11:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What does he want me to do? Does he expect me to not challenge his points? Am I supposed to just swallow everything he says and go "Yup, yup, that's right....yup"
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 11:50 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:
What does he want me to do?
What he said:
Quote:
post like an adult instead of a 12 year old juvenile delinquent

But since you're obviously not able to read that either - I don't know ....
Below viewing threshold (view)
ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 11:58 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Did you read the first post on the thread?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 11:59 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:
Does he expect me to not challenge his points? Am I supposed to just swallow everything he says and go "Yup, yup, that's right....yup"

are you disagreeing that Mr. Obama has been a disappointment to some people who voted for him?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya. Smells better around here already. Nothing stinks worse than an old lefty who never grew up,

I would suggest that Edgar finds that kind of quote offensive, as do I. Is that your idea of thoughtful debate?
There are people here I disagree with but they don't resort to that kind of drivel.
Why do you? Do you think you are being witty? You are not. You come across as rather foolish, actually. Perhaps you should grow up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:04 pm
I bet somebody is making up these characters and using them in efforts to make sober threads into jokes. Could somebody really be that immature and/or stupid?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree - but the other one really seems to post from downunder, at least in such a time window ...
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh, well. On to other, better things. My pique at the president has leveled off, since I let off some steam. Still, I don't regret a word I have said.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Are you going to vote for BO again?
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 01:39 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
I certainly intend to. How about you? Who are you leaning towards?
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 01:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
Only an ignoranus would vote for Obama in 2012... it is un-American to support Obama.