Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:16 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Did you actually read what I wrote, or is it a problem with comprehension?
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
Your President and the far left are actually the ones who are promoting class warfare. When is your President going to get some taxes from GE? You know, the GE that did business with Iran for years after being told not to. The GE corporation that is getting huge tax breaks for promoting the agenda of your president. I thought corporations were "evil"? I thought liberals were for the little guy? I thought liberals were open minded? Gee, looks like someone is lying around here.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn:
Quote:
No snood...it wouldn't but why should I be obligated to do so?

Why should you admit that people saw in him things that legitimately caused them to vote for him over everyone else running? Because it would be intellectually honest.

Quote:
I'm sure he loves his wife and children and tries hard to be a good husband and father, and his charitable contributions in 2010 are impressive.

That’s cute. And supposedly family values and Christian charity are virtues the right admires, but that’s neither here nor there, and it's not what I meant.
But... he also had a strong grasp of constitutional law, he chose to work for the needs of inner-city neighborhoods over becoming rich overnight at the law firm of his choice, and had done work on legislation in Illinois to ensure prisoners in custody were not being coerced into confessions.

Little things like that were things I saw in the man that made me look closer (and here you were thinking all I saw was his skin color, huh?), and when I looked, I kept finding things that I liked. I’ve also seen things I don’t like (yeah, rational consideration and everything), but he is still head and shoulders above any other person I see expressing interest in the job.

Quote:
Despite what some of my friends believe, I don't think he's the Anti-Christ, nor do I think he's an evil crypto-Muslim who is trying to bring this great nation of ours to it's knees.
I do think he is an incompetent and dangerous president.

Well, since you don't have to provide anything to substantiate the pejoratives, and people are just supposed to take your word for it, not much I can say about that except you have an opinion.

Quote:
I do think he is a seriously flawed narcissist who is leading this country down the road to ruin.

That sounds like a diagnosis, doc. Is it based on anything, or are descriptions like “seriously flawed narcissist” just stuff you pick up from his press conferences?

Quote:
I suspect that I would not like him if I met him...if for no other reason than he takes himself way too seriously, but that doesn't inform my opinion of him as our president.

Well, since we were talking about things that I thought caused people to vote for him as our president, I fail to see the significance of whether you think you’d like him. (And you saying anyone takes themselves too seriously is just precious)

Quote:
He's the President of the USA, a position he craved, sought and won
(and I lo-o-o-v-e how that fact galls some people).

Quote:
I don't owe him the benefit of the doubt, and what he may or may not be like as an individual, outside the office, is hardly something a rational opinion of his presidency demands to be considered.

I said “good qualities” – you assumed that to mean only personal attributes. I and a lot of others thought the man had a lot to sell himself on, and your intimation that the choice wasn’t rational is insulting, but it's totally predictable coming from you.

Quote:
Would it have killed W's detractor's to admit he had good qualities, and were you arguing for their doing so?

W was a swaggering idiot who drunk-drove us into a ditch in any rational way it can be measured. I’ll have that argument with you or anyone else anytime. I'd like to have it on a thread that one of his supporters starts to promote what was good about his presidency, if I had my druthers.

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I don't recall you condemning the slanderous lies so many of his critics spewed, let alone calling for anyone to see him simply as another person.

I don’t recall many “slanderous lies” about him (outside of the dubious papers that Dan Rather shouldn’t have used to pursue what was very probably a true story of your guy being unlawfully absent from his place of duty), but I saw him as a ‘C’ student who was in the office as a legacy baby, and couldn’t hold Obama’s jockstrap in terms of competence.

I couldn’t give less of a crap then or now about what kind of person people saw him as. It got said a lot back then that people would “rather have a beer” with Bush than Kerry or Gore. So I’m sure people thought he was a peachy keen person.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I didn't, I was reacting to broad brushing Dems and others, but on rereading, see I misread you re the broad brush part.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:38 pm
@snood,
Well said, snood, and I agree completely.
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:45 pm
I really don't see Obama getting re-elected. I can't imagine how betrayed the anti-war pacifists feel about Obongo now. He reminds me of that old Beatles song...."Bungalo Bill".......Hey Obongolo Bill, what did ya kill.......
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:48 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
As it stands today, there is a clear highway to a second term for the president. I can't think of a single person who could put on a credible campaign to unseat him.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
The economy is still sluggish and unemployment is too high. He promised to close Gitmo. He promised to never attack a nation that was no threat. He promised the stimulus would bring jobs. He promised the Health Care would cost less than we see now.

If Obugno was a republican, the democrats would be moving to impeach him.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:59 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Obugno? Are you becoming gunga?
plainoldme

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:03 pm
@snood,
I'd rather have a beer with someone who has something interesting to say.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:05 pm
Back in either '90 or '91, I went to a career service where I heard of jobs, even professions, that were disappearing. This job loss has nothing to do with either Obama or the recession.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:23 pm
@plainoldme,
I get your point there. The recession doesn't help though. Or some reactions to it.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 04:17 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Wealth is being redistributed upward, out of the hands of workers, and the class warfare is being pushed by fundamentalist republicans.

That's some funny fiction right there... Bullshit!
plainoldme

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:36 am
@H2O MAN,
Are your eyelids sewn together?
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:50 am
@plainoldme,
POM - you are an ignoranus.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I'm afraid your thread just wasn't memorable enough for me to recall my involvement...

Not surprising. I understand that heavy drinking and drug use can affect one's memory.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Of course when I hopped on, it wasn't to pile on Obama, but to take a poke at you...which may be why the thread is so memorable to you.

All of my threads are memorable, despite your contributions.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 08:43 am
@edgarblythe,
Oops, I made a typo. It's "Obungo"
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 11:54 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
So, you have elected to be Gunga's disciple. Sorry.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 01:04 pm
Between committed supporters & opponents of Obama and those in the middle who are either disappointed at his failure to be more aggressive in supporting the extreme left or, conversely, those who are dismayed by his irresponsible-seeming politicization of a looming debt crisis - there's not a hell of a lot of room for dispassionate discourse on the subject.

For me however there is the sad spectacle of a President who apparently can't get past his original political viewpoint to deal seriously with the fairly obvious (to me at least) challenges facing the country. We face some serious economic competition in a fast-developing world. The abnormal post war era during which (at least initially) we had the only intact industrial base and throughout which we had by far the largest reserves of capital in the world is now over. He simply doesn't appear to either get it or take it seriously. We sorely need something better.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 01:13 pm
@georgeob1,
Your position on this would be more serious if you would admit the need for higher rates of taxation on American citizens.

I would also point out that the 'solutions' provided by the leaders of YOUR party don't solve the problem in the slightest and constitute a far greater degree of irresponsibility regarding the Debt crisis. The Ryan 'budget' adds an additional 6 Trillion to the debt over the next decade and solves no problems whatsoever; and why would it? It is based on economic ideas that have long been discredited and have never actually worked in real life.

You should examine the beam in thy own party's eye before casting such aspersions, George.

Cycloptichorn