is white wrong?

Intrepid

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:12 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Ceili wrote:
I'm not sure about the rest of Canada though..

the only uniforms you see for school in Toronto/Eastern Ontario are the Catholic private schools and even then the range of wardrobe options is quite large

That is not the case west of Toronto. Our range is either burgundy or white shirt with logo and navy blue pants.
djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:19 am
i went to high school in the mid 70's, we had uniforms, the stoners wore faded jeans, concert t shirts and lumberjack flannel shirts, the jocks wore new jeans, sports logo (or school team) shirts and the nerds wore jeans or slacks and button up shirts

same pretty much applied to the girls, but the nerdy girls wore dresses or skirts
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 11:21 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid, that must be a regionally specific requirement.

http://www.enseignerenontario.ca/tio/en/ontarioclassrooms.htm

Quote:
Most Catholic secondary schools have rules that require students to dress according to a specific dress code.

The Ontario Ministry of Education gives other schools the option to use dress codes, but only if they would like to do so.

All dress codes enforced by schools must follow the Minister’s guidelines.

This means that all dress codes must be affordable and consistent with Canada’s Human Rights Code and its Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I suspect that human rights charter issue is why most schools choose not to have dress codes - easier not to.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 12:14 pm
@Intrepid,

Let the record show
that my remarks qua individual freedom
r intended only qua publicly owned schools.

Events in private schools r subject to contractual negotiation.

David
0 Replies

Oanaya88

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 11:44 pm
@aidan,
If the outfit is showing then yes by all means, wear what they say. I graduated from cibola and they are overly strict with the graduation dress code because the kids DO wear a cap and gown, you don't see the clothing underneath. They require the girls to wear white dresses because the gowns are white and you would see a darker color through the fabric. If a girl is wearing a long white dress that peeks out below the gown, what difference does it make if she's wearing long white pants? If she wears the black pants she will blend in with the boys while walking the line since black pants are what the boys are supposed to wear. The girls wear all white. And all of their outfits ARE COVERED WITH THE GOWN.
aidan

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 12:22 am
Yeah - I got that in the end. I didn't know they were wearing robes. I thought they weren't. When engineer posted that they were telling her what to wear underneath her robe - then I posted that I thought the whole thing was ridiculous.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 12:33 am
The Albuquerque Journal reported:
Quote:
Miranda Duran will indeed walk the Cibola High graduation line next month in her white pants.
They’ll just be hidden beneath her graduation gown.
The 18-year-old senior reached an agreement with Principal Elena Salazar this week on the pants, which are not permitted under the school’s commencement ceremony dress code.
Duran has agreed to hem her pants so they won’t be seen.
“They came up with a compromise that seemed suitable for both sides,” Albuquerque Public Schools spokeswoman Johanna King said.

Last week, Duran showed a teacher a photo of herself in the white tunic and trousers she planned to wear to the ceremony. The teacher recommended she first check withthe administration, which told her she could not wear the outfit.
The school website said in addition to a cap and gown, graduating senior girls must wear a white dress and white dress shoes, and boys must wear a white dress shirt, black tie, black dress pants and black dress shoes.
The website said there are “No Exceptions!!!”
The family had shopped for Miranda’s outfit months ago, using a guide that was handed out with a graduation packet. However, they learned last week the guide was for a different Albuquerque high school.
The family became angry when a staff member allegedly told Duran, “Either you’re dressing like a woman or you’re dressing like a man.”
Her brothers threatened to protest in front of the school.
“The thing is, we didn’t want her to be dressed like a man,” said her mother, Julie Duran.
At the meeting, the family agreed to hem the pants so Duran could participate in the May 17 ceremony at Tingley Coliseum.
“It’s been resolved, and it’s over,” Miranda said.
Albuquerque high schools are allowed to restrict graduation attire, which is usually based on tradition and uniformity, according to a top administrator, who says, “Graduation is a privilege.” Each school may have a different dress requirement.

http://i55.tinypic.com/r1hov7.jpghttp://i53.tinypic.com/2hx64ae.jpg
Source: Albuquerque Journal, 13.04.2011, pages C1, C2

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 06:04 am
@Oanaya88,
Oanaya88 wrote:
If the outfit is showing then yes by all means, wear what they say.
I graduated from cibola and they are overly strict with the graduation dress code
1 way to rescind, OVERRIDE, COUNTER-MAND, and to VETO the dress code is to BOYCOTT the graduation,
which is what I did in high school and college (except that no dress code existed, so far as I know,
but I boycotted anyway; no regrets -- waste of time ).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 06:37 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I boycotted shaking hands with two teachers - which was even more fun Wink
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 06:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I boycotted shaking hands with two teachers - which was even more fun Wink
When I was 15, I almost KILLED a history teacher, by asking a question.
(It was accidental; no, no, gunfire was not involved.)

David
0 Replies