is white wrong?

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 10:11 am
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Students at Cibola High School said they're planning a pantsuit protest after a student was told that she cannot wear her chosen outfit to her graduation ceremony.

"All I want to do is wear a nice, elegant, classy suit," Cibola High School student Miranda Duran said.

But there's one problem: Duran's chosen pantsuit is too white.

"If she's going to wear pants, they have to be black. If she's going to wear a dress, it has to be white," Albuquerque Public Schools Assistant Superintendent Diego Gallegos said.

Duran, 18, said a recent meeting with her school's principal regarding her protest was also attended by four police officers.

"I'm not one to get scared or be fearful, but I was intimidated," Duran said.

Duran and her mother, Julia Duran, said the principal asked them to stop a protest planned for Monday.

"I was like, 'I can't stop the protest, I didn't start it and I didn't say anything about it,'" Miranda Duran said.

The teen said the police officers at the meeting did not try intervene during the meeting.

"They said they can't do anything about the protest as long as it's peaceful," she said.

APS leaders said they want to keep Cibola's graduation ceremony formal, and that's why they have the black pants rule. They said they will buy Duran a pair of black pants if she can not afford them.

An APS spokesperson handling the story did not immediately return a phone call for comment.

Students said they're planning the protest outside of the high school on Monday afternoon.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 10:36 am
@dyslexia,
Once upon a time, girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school.
Once upon a time, women weren't allowed to wear pants to work.
Once upon a time, employed women weren't allowed to marry without their employer's permission.

Times change.

Someday, they will write about a time when people weren't allowed to pick the colour of their clothing.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 10:54 am
I don't know about anyone else, but when I graduated, if you were taking part in the graduation ceremony, you could choose whatever you wanted to wear under the gown, but no one had any choice but to wear the white gown that was provided for the girls and the green gown that was provided for the boys (the school colors were green and white).
Seems like these kids are making a mountain out of a molehill.

They can wear whatever they want every hour of every other day for the rest of their lives - unless they have some sort of a job with a uniform or a dress code. What will they do if they don't like the colors provided for that? Quit the job?
Whatever.
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 11:00 am
so, let me see if i've got this straight, you've gone through all the crap that is high school, you already know you've passed, and yet you want to go back for some boring ceremony

wear what you want and go do something interesting would be my suggestion, they'll mail you the diploma
Ceili

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 11:08 am
@aidan,
This is not about the cap and GOWN, but about the outfits the choose to wear to the ceremony. Dresses have to be white, pants must be black. I find the lack of colour choices a little silly. And police... seriously?
aidan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 11:12 am
@Ceili,
All I'm saying is that they have a prescribed outfit for the ceremony - like the prescribed outfit for my graduation ceremony was a white gown. Apparantly they didn't give these kids gowns - but they want a uniform look for the ceremony.
So this girl wants to wear her own thing.
Well sometimes you can't. That's life.
What is the big deal about wearing a pair of black pants for one silly hour?
I just don't get it.
I think it's arrogant to think, 'Oh, I'm so special that I can wear whatever I want while everyone else has to wear something else.'
Maybe you don't.
I do.
I have no idea why the police were called. That wasn't explained or what I was responding to.
I was responding to the attitude.
I see it all the time in schools- what's she gonna do at her job when they tell her to wear black pants - say, 'No - I'm special - I get to wear white.'
I think she's making a mountain out of a molehill - as I said.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 11:14 am
@Ceili,
Quote:
“I went in a nice, respectful way asking him, ‘Would (the outfit) be formal? Would it be OK?’ And he said, ‘No, you’re either a girl or a boy. No in between,'” Duran said.

http://www.koat.com/news/27464208/detail.html?source=alb
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 11:40 am
@dyslexia,
"If she's going to wear pants, they have to be black. If she's going to wear a dress, it has to be white," Albuquerque Public Schools Assistant Superintendent Diego Gallegos said. He added, "Remember, this is America, the land of freedom of choice."
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 11:45 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

so, let me see if i've got this straight, you've gone through all the crap that is high school, you already know you've passed, and yet you want to go back for some boring ceremony

wear what you want and go do something interesting would be my suggestion, they'll mail you the diploma

If I had thought I had a choice, I wouldn't have gone to my graduation ceremony from high school.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 01:41 pm
First of all, why is this NEWS? LOLOLOL

Secondly, who gives a rat's ass? There is so much stupid **** on the internet/in the news these days, how does one decide what to spend time on? The colour of clothing???

Aside from that, she should wear what she bloody well wants.

What would have happened if she'd just shown up in a hot red dress? Would they not allow her on stage to receive her diploma? So many people have major control issues!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 03:02 pm
Quote:
Duran said she’ll be leaving Cibola High with a 3.5 grade point average and that she’s earned the right to pick her own tasteful attire for graduation.

Hmm. Maybe she does think she is above the others who seem to be following the prescribed dress code.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 03:09 pm
@Intrepid,
I'm very glad there were girls/young women/women like Ms. Duran 45 years ago. I would not want to have to wear a dress or skirt to school/work everyday.

There is no need today for young women to wear white dresses to any event.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 02:06 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Students at Cibola High School said they're planning a pantsuit protest after a student was told that she cannot wear her chosen outfit to her graduation ceremony.

"All I want to do is wear a nice, elegant, classy suit," Cibola High School student Miranda Duran said.

But there's one problem: Duran's chosen pantsuit is too white.

"If she's going to wear pants, they have to be black. If she's going to wear a dress, it has to be white," Albuquerque Public Schools Assistant Superintendent Diego Gallegos said.

Duran, 18, said a recent meeting with her school's principal regarding her protest was also attended by four police officers.

"I'm not one to get scared or be fearful, but I was intimidated," Duran said.

Duran and her mother, Julia Duran, said the principal asked them to stop a protest planned for Monday.

"I was like, 'I can't stop the protest, I didn't start it and I didn't say anything about it,'" Miranda Duran said.

The teen said the police officers at the meeting did not try intervene during the meeting.

"They said they can't do anything about the protest as long as it's peaceful," she said.

APS leaders said they want to keep Cibola's graduation ceremony formal, and that's why they have the black pants rule. They said they will buy Duran a pair of black pants if she can not afford them.

An APS spokesperson handling the story did not immediately return a phone call for comment.

Students said they're planning the protest outside of the high school on Monday afternoon.
I blame us, as citizens.
We owed it to ourselves (and maybe, morally, to our American ancestors)
to keep our low life employee, government,
on a short leash, bearing constantly in mind
that IT works for us; we do NOT work for it.

If it is a public school,
then the students OWN the school and its staff is there to serve them.

We shoud do something to continually REMIND government
that WE r the owners and the bosses, not IT.

The tail tries to wag the dog
and it gets away with it because we allow it to do so.

We need the Dog Whisperer to keep priorities in correct alignment.

Maybe each 4th of July, government shoud be ceremonially HUMILIATED,
to remind the damned thing who the boss is (in this case: the students).

Something must be done to assert supremacy of the Individual
over the collective and over its low life henchman: government.

Hitler said:
"authority from the top down,
obedience from the bottom up."

David says:
REVERSE THAT; reject it.
Turn it around backward and upside down,
in the name of Individual freedom.

The domestic jurisdiction of government
is INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL to personal liberty.

Maybe the students shoud vote on raising or lowering
the salaries of the teaching staff and of administrators.
Maybe that will teach them some proper respect for the Individual.

David
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 02:31 am
Of course she should wear white. If there is a dresscode she has to follow it.
There will in her future be many times when you have to follow certain codes to be correct. You cannot always do as you want.

In Sweden the girls wear white and the boys a black suit. The exams are celebrated with great festivitas, being picked up by trucks, getting flowers, which are hung around the neck, ballons, Swedish flagshaving parties with dresscode eveningdress.....for the evening parties the rent busses or oldtimer cars.

About 30-40 years ago a very well known Swedish politician wanted all these celebrations to stop - the end of you studies should not be anything special. No dress codes and other arguments.
What was the result - the Swedes are now celebrating more than ever and it has become a rather expensive celebration.

http://www.tillfjalls.se/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/01-470x313.jpg
saab

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 02:38 am
@saab,
Of course she can wear a pant suit, but is should be white and not black - if black is for the boys.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 02:57 am
@saab,
However, she should not wear patent leather shoes
msolga

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 03:18 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:

Well that is a very strange state of affairs.
Why were the police involved at all at a meeting between a principal & a student? Confused
Is there something missing from this story?
It doesn't make sense.
Quote:

And quite right, too.

Quote:

Well how did the students know about the "black or white" issue, if she hadn't made an issue of it?
How would the media know about it, if she or her mother (or whoever) hadn't contacted them?

Seriously what a storm in a teacup. This is ridiculous.
Who cares?
As if it's some big freedom of an individual's rights issue to make a stand about wearing white pants instead of black?
Would she have felt her principles would be terribly compromised to wear black pants for that one occasion?
My only concern is the police involvement at the meeting with the principal.
Why were they there at all?
What did they have to do with a dispute about a high school graduation ceremony?

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 03:22 am
@msolga,
Ive often thought (because there are many of these ridiculous last ditch pronouncements from school admins all over the country) , THAT school administarions just do this to effect thweir LAST DITCH efforts at some kind of control over the kids.
I gree iots a tempets in an egg poacher. The school admin has apparently NO IDEA how stupid they look even addressing this.

White, black, pink or blue, whats the damn difference?

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 03:32 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ive often thought (because there are many of these ridiculous last ditch pronouncements from school admins all over the country) , THAT school administarions just do this to effect thweir LAST DITCH efforts at some kind of control over the kids.

This sort of graduation dress code requirement thing is a big issue in many US schools?
I had no idea that this was the case.
In Oz school students are required to wear school uniform to such events.
I don't think the students have any problem with that, it being a shool event and all ....
I just find it hard to get excited about this as a "rights" issue.
I mean, there are so many more important things that senior high school students could get excited about.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 03:46 am
@msolga,
Aw yeh, every year or so, somehwere in the country some kids try to propose wearing certain colors under their gowns or to have some thing added to their regalia to make them "unique" . Its a lot of fun. My last class at the U had wonr turkey plumes in their mortarboards to signify their respwect for our paleontology chair who was terminally ill. The U balked and came up with all sorts of arguments and we 9the faculty advisres ) just overrode (at our peril). The kids were respectful and each said one line of latin when they got their diplomas. It was out of deep respect and I wore a feather too.

So many bullshit rules are made up and the kids are told to go off and make "the world their oyster" but not till the school is done fuckin with your head.

Its all total bullshit and I respected the kids at YAle who always look for oppweortunities for some kids to be totally naked under their gowns and use the ceremony to flash every one. Its harmelss fun and, often there is some deeper respect being shown.

ALbaturkey High school admin looks like a bunch of petulant fools.