Hospice vs Palliative care

edgarblythe

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 03:23 pm
Texas law must be very different. I once knew a 79 year old widow woman, who constantly told me she did not want to be a broken down 80 year old woman. "I pray to God to strike me dead," she told me more times than once. She drank beer all day long, every day. But, on the day before her birthday, she apparently overdid it. She vomited and strangled. Her son found her unconscious on the floor. He called the paramedics. When they came, he forbade them to resuscitate her. They obeyed his command. She managed to avoid becoming that 80 year old woman, after all.
CalamityJane

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 05:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, I thought it would be easier to croak in Texas :-)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 05:46 pm
so anyway, if I'm going to be on "hospice" I can't, at the same time, receive therapeutic medical treatment so I need to find out if I can continue with my current medications which I believe are both therapeutic and palliative/comforting (oxygen/blood pressure meds etc) the information I have gotten so far are hazy in this regard.
edgarblythe

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 05:49 pm
@dyslexia,
I don't like what it seems to imply.
0 Replies

dadpad

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 05:58 pm
Quote:
repeating myself because I think the issue is of vital importance; both Lady Diane and myself have attorney generated legal documentation of DO NOT RESUSCITATE medical powers of attorney signed and registered with the probate court yet should Emergency Medical Assistance (EMT whatever) be called they will attempt resuscitation regardless of our intent (with proper legal documentation) this is an obvious contradiction in our legal/medical protocols that I believe must be addressed ASAP. (but most likely will not be)

I hear you. I also think you may be not giving credit to the difference between bureaucratic rules and regulations and what actually happens in the field.
Ambos and EMTs are generally pretty sensible people.
I wonder if an interview with local ambulance or EMT's might be arranged.
dlowan

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:47 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

so anyway, if I'm going to be on "hospice" I can't, at the same time, receive therapeutic medical treatment so I need to find out if I can continue with my current medications which I believe are both therapeutic and palliative/comforting (oxygen/blood pressure meds etc) the information I have gotten so far are hazy in this regard.

Oh good grief...surely you can!!!!!! She said hopefully.
dyslexia

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:48 pm
@dadpad,
you're absolutely right, the problem is lack of clarity, leaving the "client" at the hands of individual judgment rather than clear policy and that's the difficulty as I see it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:56 pm
@dlowan,
I'm guessing not but I'm only guessing at this point. from wha I've been able to find so far I get get Hospice or Therapeutic care under our medicare system but not both however it seems I can change from one to another with relative ease (whatever that means)
msolga

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:08 pm
@dyslexia,
I hope you clear that up very soon, dys.
A really serious concern.
And I hope Deb is right!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 11:19 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:

dys- I can only go by my experience with my mother. For up until the last month or so from her two year experience with hospice, she was seeing her own doctor, and taking all her medications.

At one point, it was just too difficult for me to take her to the doctor, and hospice suggested that I use theirs. The doctor would come to the assisted living facility where she lived.

The doctor thought that, at that point in time, that it was useless for my mother to take her dementia meds, but she was still on her pressure pills and oxygen until the end. The doctor had to ask my permission to stop the dementia meds. She told me that she believed that it that point in her illness, the meds were ineffective. I had observed at that time a severe slippage in her functioning even when my mother took the meds, so I saw no harm in stopping them.

I think that the main thing is to be very clear as to what YOU want, and determine whether it fits in with the hospice regulations. The oxygen is for comfort, and I cannot imagine a reason that you would be asked to stop it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 11:49 pm
Quote:
you're absolutely right,

That would be a first!

Quote:
the problem is lack of clarity, leaving the "client" at the hands of individual judgment rather than clear policy and that's the difficulty as I see it.

Which is why I'm suggesting you talk to some ambos... off the record. find out what their protocols are, official and unofficial. At least then you know whats going on. I think from what you have said here thats what you main concern is, not knowing whats going to happen.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:42 pm
feeling hinky today, not sure I want to keep this thread going. maybe feel different tomorrow.
Eva

Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:48 pm
@dyslexia,
{{{smooches to Dys}}}
0 Replies

Rockhead

Mon 11 Apr, 2011 09:51 pm
@dyslexia,
hugs pops.

just getting in from finishing my diesel from hell. feels like old times. I think I need a beer. Shocked

keep your chin up, dude...

may tomorrow be a better day in Albaturkey.

msolga

Mon 11 Apr, 2011 11:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Maybe dys just wants a break from talking (& even thinking, perhaps?) about this subject for a while?

If so, we should respect that wish.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Tue 12 Apr, 2011 02:24 am
@dyslexia,
Just "do your own thing", dys. You always have, and there is no reason to change now.

I'm off to Cleveland today, and still obsessing about the 40 degree difference. It is amazing about how thinking about nonsense helps me to avoid thinking about
important, although distressing stuff.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 12 Apr, 2011 02:29 am
@dyslexia,
I had to look hinky up.

Whatever is right for you....we're here if you wanna say anything.

Because we never liked you.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Tue 12 Apr, 2011 08:02 am
what I'm thinking about today, fear, fear of painful/mindless malingering; especially the mindless part but certainly the painful part as well.
JPB

Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:34 am
@dyslexia,
Perfectly understandable, dys. I sometimes think we give our pets better end of life care than we're allowed ourselves.
0 Replies

dadpad

Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:05 am
Move to Oregon, apparently they give you the potion, you choose when. so if its a nice day today the sun is shining etc etc dont take it. The grand kids are coming next week "Oh well I'll wait till after that".

dont reply if you dont feel like it dys. I can be a bit too practical sometimes.