Is Obama Creating Terrorists?

Fri 25 Mar, 2011 06:53 pm
BO is continuing the Bush policy in Gitmo after promising to shut it down. BO is bombing a Muslim nation who was not a threat to us. Obama claimed these two points were a failure of policy and was creating more terrorists when Bush was President. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 8,216 • Replies: 138
Topic Closed

ossobuco

Fri 25 Mar, 2011 06:59 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
He, therefore we, if you are in the U.S., may well be.

People don't really like others coming in and flying planes or drones shooting/bombing their country, however much they dislike the tyrant (or other such words for a despicable ruler). That's a generalization, as some might welcome it for various reasons, but not really welcome the people doing it. This has always - well, almost always - seemed lose/lose to me.

I am still startled that we are doing this. (Don't get me going on how else we could spend the money.)
Renaldo Dubois

Fri 25 Mar, 2011 07:06 pm
@ossobuco,
It seems logical to me as well. According to BO's own words, his policy on Gitmo and Libya is a failure.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 09:14 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Its too late. Ronny Regan and the Bush boys beat him too it starting 30 years ago.
Renaldo Dubois

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 09:46 am
@RABEL222,
If Reagan and Bush are guilty of bad policy then why isn't BO. His own words say his policy is a failure. Is BO special?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:00 am
There is no similarity between Libya and Iraq.

1) We went into Libya to react to a clear and imminent (and real) threat of a massacre of innocent civilians. There is no need to interpret "intelligence" or debate the existence of purported weapons. The tanks and artillery were on the move.

In Iraq, we went in to stop the mythical "weapons of mass destructions" which turned out to not exist.

2) We went into Libya on the request of Arab countries. The "Arab street" overwhelmingly wanted us to intervene. We even got a not of approval from the Arab league.

In Iraq, we had the reluctant support a couple of governments (since we have some ability to twist arms in the region). We were overwhelming opposed by Arabs on the street.
----

I am not real happy with Obama. There are many things he has done that he could do better. I am ambivalent about the current actions in Libya, I feel like if we are going there we should be honest that we are going to have to see it through.

But claiming that Libya is anything like Iraq, or that this action which is popular with the overwhelming majority of people in the region is going to have the same negative effects as our war in Iraq is ludicrous.

Unless of course, this comparison is being made by people who simply hate Obama and will disagree with pretty much anything he does.
MJA

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:03 am
Most terrorist acts are occuring in occupied countries by the occupied people.
If America wants to truly counter-terrorism it should quit occupying them.

=
MJA
Renaldo Dubois

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:13 am
@maxdancona,
I'll take your first one. That should be enough.

There are civilians being slaughtered all over the Middle East and in Africa. Why don't we intervene in Syria? Why didn't we intervene in Iran in 2009 when the government was murdering their citizens? Why Libya and not them?
Renaldo Dubois

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:14 am
@MJA,
We were attacked on 9/11 because we support Israel. Not occupation.
LionTamerX

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:15 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
We were also attacked on 9/11 for having American troops on the Arabian peninsula.
maxdancona

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:23 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Quote:
We were attacked on 9/11 because we support Israel. Not occupation.

LOL
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:27 am
@LionTamerX,
Bin Laden said the 9/11 attack was because of our support for Israel. You can google that for your own information.
djjd62

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:29 am
Is Obama Creating Terrorists?

wouldn't put it past him, dude quits smoking he's got keep himself busy
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:30 am
Admitting for the first time that he ordered the Sept. 11 attacks, bin Laden said he did so because of injustices against the Lebanese and Palestinians by Israel and the United States.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137095,00.html

Anything else? Perhaps your next reply should be an attack on Fox news. That would follow your playbook. I haven't seen anything new from the left in a few years now. You've run out of ideas.
djjd62

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:37 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
i think fox news is at least as noteworthy as any other news source

of course that isn't saying much, i get my news from place mats in truck stops (did you know there's a man in Idaho who has a bunion that looks like Walter Cronkite) and that homeless guy on the corner who claims he's from Rigel 7 (he's by far the most accurate)
Renaldo Dubois

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:43 am
@djjd62,
What about the link I posted? Is it a lie or the truth? Did Osama attack us on 9/11 because of our support for Israel or not?
JPB

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:44 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Why didn't we intervene in Iran in 2009 when the government was murdering their citizens? Why Libya and not them?

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere but I suspect that Obama was deeply affected by the showdown in Iran. He made the speech in Cairo and then had(?) to sit back and watch Iran unfold. I think we're in Libya primarily because 1) the Arab League requested it and, 2) he didn't want to witness another Iran.
Renaldo Dubois

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:51 am
@JPB,
Why doesn't he intervene in every ME nation. They are all having uprisings with citizens being shot. Why Libya? They were no direct threat to us. Obama criticized Bush for invading Iraq and Gitmo. He still has Gitmo and has done the very same thing he accused Bush of. Doesn't that make BO a hypocrite?
djjd62

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:52 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
since there's a link i guess the report is the truth

now as to the content, how much can you trust what OBL says

i think the reason the US was attacked goes much deeper, but hey he's not going to get them to change all their policy or way of life, maybe he can get them to rethink their position on Israel by saying that's the reason, i guess what i'm saying is, don't trust what terrorists tell you

but i still stand by my news sources
Irishk

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:52 am
a) It's in America's national interest.
b) Once control transitions to NATO, U.S. planes won't be enforcing the no-fly zone.
c) U.S. ships will not be enforcing the arms embargo.