Weird Stuff on Cable

firefly

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 02:56 pm
@Abishai100,
Quote:

I keep a look out for episodes of the imaginarium science-fiction show "Dr. Who" on cable TV these days.

If you can get BBC America on your cable line-up, they have Dr. Who on their regular programming schedule.

You can search on this site to see if your cable provider carries BBC America, and what channel number it would be.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 04:07 pm
@glitterbag,
I may have caught about thirty seconds of this once. Feh. It was twenty-nine seconds too many.

I don't know what Cash Cab is. Should I?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 02:30 am
@Roberta,
Cash Cab is a game show shot inside a NY taxi, the pull for me is that the contestants are just ordinary people who climb in, so we get to know a cross-section of the public who otherwise would be just anonymous faces in the street..Smile

anonymously99

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 03:18 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
You're not a scary person.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 01:08 am
The Worst Cooks in America is back on the Food channel. A woman decided to "make" chocolate. How? Vanilla extract and brown sugar.

Drunk
roger

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 02:17 am
@Roberta,
Off topic and all that, but chocolate is supposed to be the toughest flavor to duplicate. The easiest is strawberry.

There. I finally contributed something on a television thread.
Roberta

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 03:46 pm
@roger,
Good to see you here, roger. Not off topic at all.

To paraphrase Joyce Kilmer, "Only God can make chocolate."
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 04:34 pm
Outrageous 911. I encounter this occasionally. It's actual calls to 911. Some of the calls are dramatized.

A call to 911 to order pizza. A call to 911 because her husband won't have sex with her. A kid calls 911 to ask the operator to give Santa a message for him.

All these calls are illegal (except for the kid). Many of the callers are tracked down and charged with misuse of 911.

My favorite:

A man is driving along a dark country road. He hits a deer. He gets out of the car to check. The deer is dead. He throws it in the backseat of his car and drives off.

The deer ain't dead. It wakes up and bites him in the neck. The man pulls over to a public phone to call 911 about the bite. Send an ambulance? You can hear the deer struggling to get out of the car in the background. Ir escapes. While the man is on the phone, he is attacked by a dog. You can hear barking and snarling in the background. The man tells the operator that he thinks it's the smell of deer on him that is attracting the dog.

The operator is now sending an ambulance and animal control.

At the end of the call the man asks the operator if she'd like to get together. She has a really nice voice.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 02:08 pm
@Roberta,
Flipping channels the other day I happened across some idiotic thing called "Hillbilly Thrill Rides".
The premise seems to be to locate some people who have little to no value on their continued existence. These oddities then create rides of varying sorts from whatever junk they happen to have sitting around collecting dust.

I don't intend to watch it again, the 2 episodes were more than enough for a hundred lifetimes.
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 07:23 pm
@Sturgis,
There are a series of "Hillbilly this " or "Hillbilly That" on the air. They celebrate the spirit and independence mostly of Appalachian folks who have had minimal formal education but are able to conceptualize, create, and fabricate complex mechanical devices things with pretty good skills.
Were we in a post-apocalyptic world living on our own wits, Id venture a guess that most of the "Hillbilly" types would not only survive, but thrive, and that the typical New Yorker wouldn't be doing nearly as well.

glitterbag

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 11:11 pm
@farmerman,
Have I mentioned 'Married to Medicine'? It's a dreadful bitchslap show.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 04:04 am
@glitterbag,
any show with "The Real wives of..." or "Married to...", or "The Kardashians ..." in their titles have already telephoned their content and I need not become part of the audience.

Did you see last nights opening episode of FARGO? on the FX channel?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 08:35 am
@farmerman,
I recorded it, we plan to watch it tonight. Did you watch it?
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 01:53 pm
@glitterbag,
yeh, It was rather weird but in a good ntertaining way. Billy Bob doesn't let you down and the others in the ensemble are great.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 05:55 pm
@farmerman,
We watched it today. I loved it, I wasn't sure they could pull it off, the movie was terrific and often copycats turn out weak. But, you're right, Billy Bob is magnificent, and the rest of the cast knows how to deliver. This is going to be fun.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 05:59 pm
@glitterbag,
did you notice that even the music was reminiscent but not a ripoff. It was like another sonata in the suite of "Fargo Type Music".
The Coens are listed as Executive Producers.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 06:00 pm
@glitterbag,
Just watched it about an hour ago. I hope now that they got the story rolling they won't have to shot gun down the town of Bimenji.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:47 pm
@farmerman,
I love Coen Brother movies, and have for years. The brothers are producers on Fargo while providing fresh material and weaving the old Fargo movie into the episodes. It's not a follow up, but wow, they nailed the accents, the speech patterns are accurate and believable. The actors are doing fabulous work turning into Fargo characters. It's so genuine. Can't want until next week.
Roberta

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 01:32 am
@glitterbag,
I enjoyed the first episode of the series big time. Couldn't get into episode 2. I tried twice. I'm not giving up. I'll tune in for episode 3.
panzade

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 01:37 am
Love the show.
Did you see Billy Bob ask that question?
Why can the human eye see more shades of green than any other color?