Weird Stuff on Cable

panzade

Reply Mon 7 May, 2018 06:09 am
A reminder of why ‘Boita is one of the most entertaining and literate posters on A2K.
Good stuff.
Roberta

Reply Mon 7 May, 2018 02:47 pm
@panzade,
Thanks for the kind words, kid.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 05:43 am
Commercials. Yes, we do our best to avoid commercials. We flip, we fast forward, we do whatever we can. But somehow we see some. I've been noticing some bewildering things in recent commercials--both on cable and on the networks. What?

1. I have no idea what is being sold. Shouldn't a commercial be clear on this? I see the commercial from beginning to end. What's the product? I have no idea. Is it me? Am I so out of it that I'm clueless?

2. The content of the commercial has no relationship to what's being sold. Shouldn't a commercial be relevant so that people actually remember the product? Is it me? Am I being too picky?

I'm not complaining about stupid, idiotic, annoying, or irritating commercials. We've always had these. Nothing new.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 05:51 am
@Roberta,
At night, my wife and I watch an hour or so of TV after going to bed. I have conditioned myself to tune out the commercials, but my wife watches them all. When she asks me my thought on a particular commercial I have no idea what she is talking about.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 09:14 am
@edgarblythe,
weve been binging on Longmire. It started out pretty good but now its being peopled by really stupid deppidies. (The lady who plays Vic is always "voguing" in her bit to overact, and everybody gets shot up too much.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 09:19 am
@Roberta,
Im fascinated by "forged in Fire". (although the title makes about as much sense as "Bathing in Water").

It almost a DIY show on knife making and I wanna try it out after some more design of a gas forge
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 09:13 am
@farmerman,
How bout we combine some of these loser shows and create new ones like "DANCING WITH RIVER MONSTERS", or "NAKED AND AFRAID OF GOOD EATS"
Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 02:55 pm
@farmerman,
Pleaee, don't encourage more absurd programming! (although, it would be useful when reruns start taking over)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2018 12:05 am
When I was in the hospital, I watched many game shows. When I left the hospital, I continued watching one game show--Cash Cab. A guy, who is a licensed cab driver and a stand-up comic, drives around the city and picks up regular people. The passengers find out that they could be on tv and win money right there in the cab. They are asked general-knowledge questions worth $50, $100, $200, etc. Three wrong answers and they're thrown out of the cab.

Why have I continued to watch this show? I love to see the cab driving around the city. I get to see lots of places I haven't been to in a long time. I also like to see where people are going. More trips to the library than one might expect.

I really enjoy watching the reactions of the people as they get into the cab and find out what's going on. (Laughter, shouting, clapping, ennui, etc.)

I have no expectation of knowing the answers to many of the questions, especially if they're about anything current or related to technology. I do, however, expect to know answers to most questions about animals (Hey, that's a naked mole rat, you joik).

The one cringe-worthy aspect to the show is the screaming. Most of the screaming comes from young women who get an answer right. Hey, stop screaming. What's the matter with these people? Did I scream when I was their age? I don't think so.

I intend to continue watching this show, but I'm thinking I'm gonna record it. Then I can fast-forward past the screaming.

Sturgis

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2018 04:16 pm
@Roberta,
I first happened across Cash Cab during one of my medical stays as well. It's incredibly addictive in some weird way.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2018 05:25 am
@farmerman,
I felt the same way. Love the protagonist, but the chick playing his daughter is a horrific actress to the point of distraction. The stereotypical ‘Indian-speak’ Lou Diamond Phillips has to suffer through — also distracting, but I like the plot, episode stories, and the Matt Dillon-type character. It got sloppy through the seasons. Good start, tho!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 05:55 pm
Dr. Pimple Popper. I saw promos for this show and thought it was some kind of joke. No joke. It's a show. I had no intention of watching. I was flipping channels and landed on the show mid-pop. I hung around. There's no question that there's more than a little bit of ookiness involved. I an unaffected by ookiness. The doc says that there's some satisfaction in popping stuff. She could be right. But I'm mostly interested in the disfiguring, life-altering problems people have that can be remedied with a pop--by a professional popper.

The doctor on the show is a little too warm and friendly. Is this a California thing? Hey, doc. Don't hug me. Just pop me and let me get the hell out of here.

Will I be watching this regularly? I doubt it, but a lot depends on what else is on.
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 07:42 pm
@Roberta,
I dont think so. Im also dissatisfied with "MYTHBUSTERS Jr". Its just a big permission slip for kids to go wacky and then you have some smart kids who may not be understood when the 13 year old who is a STANFORD Sophomore talk about surface chemistry. I dont predict a long life for this. Its not as much fun as the original Mythbusters , although it is waay better than last years attempt to reboot the original show with these two incompetent but annoyingly happy dudes.

WE DO looooove the British Baking Show with Harry Hollywood and his mother Merry Berry.
Its a great fun show and weve learned a lot of tricks about making choux pastries and savory and sweet pies and breads and buns. I was blown away with how to create glassy caramel or sugar shapes that are like crystal.

I am, I gotta say, really tired of how many ways they can present Hitler in prime time.

Netflxing and Huluizing our viewing habits has taken a toll on stuff like cable shows and even HBO. We can watch anything whenever the hell we feel like it. And we can watch it over and over whenever the hell we feel like it too.

chai2

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 11:18 pm
@farmerman,
Farmer, on Netflix check out this gawd awful documentary called Behind the Curve.

It’s about the people who believe the Earth is flat. Really, they believe that.

They are sorely missing some basic knowledge of geometry.

This one flat earther keeps conducting experiments to prove there is no movement (it’s the dome over the earth that’s turning, not the earth) or using a laser to prove there’s no curve, and is befuddled when they don’t work.
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2019 03:11 am
@chai2,
sounds like it could be fun.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2019 09:33 pm
@Roberta,
I found one show tonight that made me retch. I don't know how long it's been on the air, but its called "The Toe Bro"......eek serious eek eek....he treats toe nail fungus, removes diseased toenails, removes ingrown toenails....it's gag worthy. I know it's important to keep your feet healthy and if I had such a problem I would desperately want it fixed but I think I'd need general anesthesia and an induced coma until they healed.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2019 11:44 pm
I missed a bunch of posts here. I don't know why they didn't pop up on my screen but they didn't. I don't watch the shows that were mentioned. I saw ads for the Toe Bro. Oy.

As long as I'm here, I might as well bring this up. I watch many shows on Investigation Discovery. Although they all have different names, there's not much difference from one to another. Mostly murder mysteries. I've observed that most (not all) murder victims are kind, thoughtful, cheery, good-natured, family-oriented, churchgoers. They have a smile that would light up a room.

I understand that the people describing the victims are often the victims' loved ones. I also understand that loved-ones are likely to paint a rosy and positive picture. However, I draw the line at smiles that light up a room. Gimme a break.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 12:20 am
@chai2,
They briefly touched on it on The Last Leg. Some of theses flat earthers can be really intimidating. They showed clips of one who would waylay celebrities to talk about the global conspiracy. Not many disagreed with him.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 12:27 am
@Roberta,
The Toe Bro, double Oy......made me ill and I only watched thru clenched fingers for less than half a mo.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 3 May, 2019 04:03 pm
For those interested in vampires or about a lump of New York City land known as Staten Island, the fx channel is currently airing What We Do In The Shadows (Tuesday night)

A short term series (10 episodes, maybe it'll be picked up for more), it follows a group of vampires who have been in Staten Island for at least 100 years. Their goal is to take over the New World. Problem being, they aren't too sure how to do this..

weird fun and with a character named Nandor the Relentless it might work.