Weird Stuff on Cable

glitterbag

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 08:07 pm
@Sturgis,
bump
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 03:47 pm
I found a show today called "Alaska Monsters". You haven't lived till you watch six longhaired guys who all look about 15 years older than they claim to be, tip toeing out in the dark looking for beasts like the "Yukon Howler" (a big foot sort of beast), or the 5000 pound bear that you never see (forgot the name) and all sorts of mythical boogie-boos that crack trees in half, build tarp covered nests, and scare the hunters so badly they howl out manly screams.

They chase monsters so that we don't have to, plus it keeps these wacky guys up in Alaska away from causing any real damage.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 03:55 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm currently watching Utopia on DVD. Really gripping conspiracy thriller based around a graphic novel. It is very good.

Cinematography is very striking as well, lots of block colours, and it feels like a graphic novel.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 10:01 pm
@glitterbag,
glitter, These shows are everywhere. Mountain Monsters, Swamp Monsters, etc. I think the same guys are in all the versions.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 11:39 pm
@glitterbag,
all of those shows are kinda funny and sad at th same time. These guys insist thy know what their doing and very snapping branch in the distance is whatever "paddle-footed" mountain ape thats never been seen by anyone but is believed in by all.
I quit watching these shows many years ago when it looked like ZZ Top was out on a snipe hunt.

I just asume that these hillbillies are all laughing bhid their beards as the deposit their checks.

I watch a lot of the art blogs and how-to watercolorists like the old Disny cartoonist Alan Blaize on YOU TUBE .

I keep it on the big tv so I can sit and watch on a couch and enjoy a bverage and not throw anything at the screen when the Phillies lose another ballgame..
glitterbag

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 03:26 pm
@farmerman,
I just got a little fascinated by the ‘traps’ they built to capture a 12 foot tall Yukon Howler who they claim was dognapping ‘sled’ dogs and maybe munching on them because game was scare. My untrained non-howler trapper eye seems to think those traps wouldn’t have much luck containing such a monster, and the guns they carried seemed a little puny but then again maybe the men are expert shooters.

I think it’s true that these shows are both funny and a little sad, but the men seem to be having the time of their life, yukking it up and calling each other ugly ol gits. Beside all that, there is nothing wrong with a bunch of guys having a few laughs while running around in the woods.
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 07:59 pm
@glitterbag,
Ill bet a significant amount of alcohol was included within their incentives to play on the show.
Like that alligator guy in the Louisiana swamps. The guy sounds a little like Justin Wilson without the "I garoontee" hit. Those guys are a bit too happy to how off their skills and macho'ish attitude
glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 10:16 pm
@farmerman,
There was a show a few years back I think was called "Call of the Wildman" but most remember it as "Turtle Man"....... That man seemed like the happiest man on the planet, diving into murky ponds and pulling out the biggest snapping turtles I've ever seen. He was always trapping raccoons, Possums, snakes, fox and damn near every sort of critter and talking to them like he was their pal, removing them safely and rehoming them in a place where they would be just fine. I really hope he derived as much happiness as it seemed on television...there much be 8 million ways to be happy and I think he found his way.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 10:18 pm
@farmerman,
My brother-in-law was an English professor at Tulane, he didn't seem to find the Cajun Chef as appealing as we did. But all things considered, I really enjoyed his company.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 10:52 pm
Justin Wilson always did a stand-up routine, Saturdays, on the Louisiana Hayride radio show, back in the 50s and perhaps into the 60s. We listened, mainly to catch performances by Johnny Horton.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 11:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
We would watch his cooking show, and loved it. Did you ever follow Brother Dave Gardner...he used to make my parents double over in laughter and they passed that along to me.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 11:38 pm
@glitterbag,
I watched the cooking show sometimes. I recall Gardner's name, but can't say I know his work.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 11:40 pm
so I looked him up
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 11:41 pm
I've put my hearing aids away and can't follow the words. I will listen tomorrow.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 12:01 am
@glitterbag,
Hey glitter, I remember that show and the turtleman. Enjoyed it, but not as much as he did.

While I'm on this thread, I'd like to post a few observations.

Supernanny is a show that's been on for years. It runs on one obscure cable station, disappears, and then shows up on another cable station. I have no interest in child-rearing. But I will watch this occasionally. Why. The kids. I thought I was a difficult child. I think my parents thought so too. But in my wildest dreams, I would never have smacked, punched, kicked, or spit on my parents. And if I had dared to do one of those things, I might have survived the results, but I wouldn't have done it again. What the hell is going on?

I also occasionally watch Hoarding or Hoarding Buried Alive. I've noticed that many hoarders have very soft, delicate little voices. I've also noticed that they all (soft-spoken or not) get really, really nasty when someone messes with their stuff. I know that hoarding is a mental disorder. But it's always a jolt when these seemingly delicate people let it rip. Loud, foul-mouthed, nasty. I guess it's part of the problem.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 12:06 am
I used to watch Supernanny. I never could understand how the parents and kids could get that screwed up.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 10:13 pm
@Roberta,
"Supernanny is a show that's been on for years. It runs on one obscure cable station, disappears, and then shows up on another cable station. I have no interest in child-rearing. But I will watch this occasionally. Why. The kids. I thought I was a difficult child. I think my parents thought so too. But in my wildest dreams, I would never have smacked, punched, kicked, or spit on my parents. And if I had dared to do one of those things, I might have survived the results, but I wouldn't have done it again. What the hell is going on?"

I don't understand any of this, I don't know why anyone would let their children be so appallingly disrespectful. I did raise children and I had absolutely no interest in being a doormat. Now I'm a grandmother and although I worship the ground little boo boo treds upon, she's in deep doo doo if she is disrespectful to me, or her grandfather, or her mother or the model of perfection child I raised, my sainted son, young mr. G'bag. Your parents, my parents and all our grandparents would never allow a child to behave in such a terrible way....it never stops once you forfeit leadership, it just gets worse.

I never had to resort to hitting or smacking children, I have this 'look' that 'mother's glare' that stops them in their tracks. A few well chosen words when they ignore (defy) the 'look' for enforcement when necessary. If you ground them, you better stay home ........ don't use the honor system, it seldom works.

It's important to teach your children that although you may love them unconditionally......the rest of the world won't, especially if they are little jerks.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2019 11:33 pm
Help! I've become addicted to PD Cam, Live PD Rewind, and Body Cam. No, I'm not addicted to Live PD. Why? Sometimes editing is necessary. A cop is driving to a crime scene. I don't need to be with him or her while the driving is going on. A car chase is another story. This is real-life stuff with some colossally stupid, crazy, and/or drugged up people. Why does a guy resist being handcuffed when four cops are standing there. Why does a woman tell a cop her complete academic history (A student) while he's driving her to jail?

A guy jumps out of his car and takes off into the woods. The cops start looking. I yell out, "Get a dog," and they often do. Being a cop ain't easy.

Animals in commercials. So far we've had bears preventing forest fires, selling toilet paper, and now some allergy stuff. A wabbit sells batteries. A reptile sells insurance as do ducks. A tiger sold cereal. Dogs sell everything. Cats sell cat stuff. And now an emu is selling something to do with banking (I think). Yes, an emu.

I'm remembering the day when a banana sold bananas and a cigar sold cigars.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 12:08 am
@Roberta,
I'm Chiquita Banana
and I'm come to say
Bananas have to ripen in a certain way
When they are flecked with brown and have a golden hue
Bananas taste the best and are the best for you

Now suddenly I feel like breaking into song, and belting out "Mañana, Mañana, Manana is good enough for me.

Roberta, I'm trying to remember which late night show (Jack Paar, Steve Allen, something else) who had a band leader he involved in some bottled lemon juice product......the camera would swing and focus on him and he would hold up the bottle and declare "It's reconstituted".........do remember that?

Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2021 01:35 pm
@glitterbag,
Extremely belated reply. Nope. I have no memory of someone hawking lemon drinks. However, I do remember a band leader on one of the light night shows whose name was Milton DeLugg. He played the accordian.