Wis. GOP strips public workers' bargaining rights

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:39 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I was educated and student taught in a state where there is no teachers' union. They're pay rate is great.

Probably not as good as what you're making right now. Amiright? Otherwise, why the hell aren't you working there?

Quote:
I'm transplanted to ******* Siberia, where unions strongarm teachers to join. I don't owe them ****.

Yes, you do. You just don't give a **** about the sacrifices they made on your behalf.

Look, if you don't like being part of the union, quit and do something else. It's not a difficult concept. Right now the Union is pretty much the only thing that has kept your school district and funding for education in CA from being demolished. And you'd rather do away with them? So you can save 40-80 a month? It's incredibly short-sighted.

My mom works in education in TX; she could tell you straight up what happens when there's no teachers' union: the governor balances the budget by slashing education to the bone. Her school district is currently losing tremendous amounts of employees with no plan to replace them and no real plan how they are going to keep the schools running with 1/2 as much staff as they used to have, but increasing numbers of kids every year. I know very well what things are like in non-union education states, so don't feed me a line of bullshit about how they are all roses. Because that's a complete lie.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:48 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

[Look, if you don't like being part of the union, quit and do something else. It's not a difficult concept. Cycloptichorn

At least Cyclo (probably unthinkingly) acknowledges that forced unionization involves the removal of an individual's freedom of association.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:51 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

[Look, if you don't like being part of the union, quit and do something else. It's not a difficult concept. Cycloptichorn

At least Cyclo (probably unthinkingly) acknowledges that forced unionization involves the removal of an individual's freedom of association.

There is no removal of anyone's freedom to associate with anyone at all. Appeals to Extreme are a poor form of argumentation, George.

I also take issue with your use of the phrase 'forced unionization.' Teachers in CA WANTED to unionize and they have had plenty of opportunities to de-certify the union if they didn't like it. The truth is that those like Lash are rarities; most understand that the union does indeed protect their interests, both on a small and large scale, and that the money paid in dues is money well spent.

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:55 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Sure. You pay your way through college, pass the exams, and then pay for permission to work in your profession. What do you get? Why, if there's a layoff, your union insures that you are the first to go, regardless of ability and talent. The money paid in dues is money well spent. Indeed!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:01 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Sure. You pay your way through college, pass the exams, and then pay for permission to work in your profession.

Yup, pretty much every profession works that way. My wife is about to graduate from Psychology grad school with her PhD., for which we have paid handsomely and will continue to do so. But is that the end? Nope. There are licensing exams, professional organizations, and continuing education that she will have to take part in for the known future. It's just how the world works.

Not only that, but there are plenty of jobs to be had in the Education realm which are not unionized, even here in CA. I know this because I work with many people who are educators, but not part of a union. So to say that you have to 'pay to be in the profession' is incorrect.

Quote:
What do you get? Why, if there's a layoff, your union insures that you are the first to go, regardless of ability and talent. The money paid in dues is money well spent. Indeed!

Your account is inaccurate. At the school where I work, the unions fought to keep ANYONE from being laid off and were successful in doing so. They protected the jobs of those who were lowest on the totem pole.

It also doesn't reflect my experiences when I was in a trade union, at all. You are so myopically focused on one tiny aspect of it that the scenario you are presenting has little to do with the reality of being a union member.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Not only that, but show me the non-unionized business that responds to a need to lay off employees by getting rid of levels of management and useless people in the middle of the supply chain. I've never seen that, personally. What I have seen - and saw a lot of in 2008 - were younger employees and those with less experience being let go, exactly the same way they would if they were on the low levels of the union totem pole.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Her school district is currently losing tremendous amounts of employees with no plan to replace them and no real plan how they are going to keep the schools running with 1/2 as much staff as they used to have, but increasing numbers of kids every year. I know very well what things are like in non-union education states, so don't feed me a line of bullshit about how they are all roses. Because that's a complete lie.

But what is the union's role in preventing staff reductions? California has issued 19,000 layoff notices to public sector teachers. Many other states(both union and non-union) are facing the same problems. You either have to cut staff or raise taxes.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:17 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Quote:
Her school district is currently losing tremendous amounts of employees with no plan to replace them and no real plan how they are going to keep the schools running with 1/2 as much staff as they used to have, but increasing numbers of kids every year. I know very well what things are like in non-union education states, so don't feed me a line of bullshit about how they are all roses. Because that's a complete lie.

But what is the union's role in preventing staff reductions? California has issued 19,000 layoff notices to public sector teachers. Many other states(both union and non-union) are facing the same problems. You either have to cut staff or raise taxes.

Without the union fighting (on both the local and state level) to keep as many schools open as possible, that number would double or triple overnight. That's how bad our budget is right now. In large part because the Republicans out here refuse to raise taxes - ever, no matter what the situation is. It's not a realistic way to run a society.

It's not just teachers but support admin as well. My mom's not a teacher, she works in the Curriculum dept. for her school district. That department does a lot of different things and is about to lose 80% of their workforce. However, they've been told that they level of output is still expected to be similar to what there was before, because the work they do is critical to keeping the students on track for college.

So WTF is going to happen to her district? Nobody knows. But it certainly isn't going to be good.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:18 pm
@joefromchicago,
I am affianced to a Californian. Trust me: I'd bolt like a bat outta hell if I wasn't.

A note about something Cyclo said: The state of CA schools is just as bad as anywhere else if not worse. The citizens decided they didn't want to pay property taxes to educate the children, so they have to scramble for public money - they lay off teachers by the thousands. You say your mom teaches in a RTW state and complains. What she is experiencing is happening nationally - but at least she isn't forced to submit to a union. The teachers' union in CA doesn't net any improvements over the situation in a RTW state.

The money isn't my issue. It's forced membership. I've been forced to join a group that I don't agree with. I don't think a person whose life drags them to another state should be strong-armed by a union if they want to work in their chosen profession. This is a basic obstruction of personal freedom.

georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Not only that, but show me the non-unionized business that responds to a need to lay off employees by getting rid of levels of management and useless people in the middle of the supply chain. I've never seen that, personally. What I have seen - and saw a lot of in 2008 - were younger employees and those with less experience being let go, exactly the same way they would if they were on the low levels of the union totem pole.

Cycloptichorn

But that is exactly what unions require when they gain power. It is their universal policy that merit or productivity don't count when reductions in force are required. They accept only layoffs for the most recently hired.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:29 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The money isn't my issue. It's forced membership. I've been forced to join a group that I don't agree with. I don't think a person whose life drags them to another state should be strong-armed by a union if they want to work in their chosen profession. This is a basic obstruction of personal freedom.

So work in a private or parochial school. I understand that there are a few of those in California, and they're not covered by the laws mandating union membership.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

[There is no removal of anyone's freedom to associate with anyone at all. Appeals to Extreme are a poor form of argumentation, George.

I also take issue with your use of the phrase 'forced unionization.' Teachers in CA WANTED to unionize and they have had plenty of opportunities to de-certify the union if they didn't like it. The truth is that those like Lash are rarities; most understand that the union does indeed protect their interests, both on a small and large scale, and that the money paid in dues is money well spent.

Cycloptichorn

What a bunch of bullshit !

The freedom of association includes the freedom not to associate. Membership in a labor union is a precondition for employment as a teacher in California public schools - whether the individual teacher chooses to join or not. There is nothing remotely related to "appeals to extremes" involved in saying that. You are either trying to use your usual bluster to distract or are very confused yourself.

The essence of freedom is the right to disagree with the majority. Your opposition to secret ballots in unionization and vehement opposition to a Wisconsin law which requires annual recertification of public service union monopolies amply testify to your interest in everything but individual freedom. Join the herd if you like, but don't presume to force others to do so.
[/quote]
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:34 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

[There is no removal of anyone's freedom to associate with anyone at all. Appeals to Extreme are a poor form of argumentation, George.

Cycloptichorn

What a bunch of bullshit !

The freedom of association includes the freedom not to associate. Membership in a labor union is a precondition for employment as a teacher in California public schools - whether the individual teacher chooses to join or not. There is nothing remotely related to "appeals to extremes" involved in saying that. You are either trying to use your usual bluster to distract or are very confused yourself.

You've narrowed the scope down tremendously. Why can't she get a job with a private school, or as an adult educator, if she doesn't want to unionize? I know people personally who do both those jobs. She certainly isn't without options.

Quote:
The essence of freedom is the right to disagree with the majority. Your opposition to secret ballots in unionization and vehement opposition to a Wisconsin law which requires annual recertification of public service union monopolies amply testify to your interest in everything but individual freedom. Join the herd if you like, but don't presume to force others to do so.

Laughing I don't have to force others to do so. The herd enforces its' own rules. Teachers are required to unionize in CA to work in public schools because the vast majority of teachers WANT that to be the way it is.

I disagree with your description of me completely. Defining 'those who disagree with you' as 'being against freedom itself' is a poor way to forward an argument and it isn't compelling to anyone.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:37 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
What she is experiencing is happening nationally - but at least she isn't forced to submit to a union.

They WISH they had a union to represent them. Don't you understand that by now? They all wish they had representation. Right now they have nothing and the district is literally cowering in fear of what will happen when the real hammer comes down later this year.

Quote:

The money isn't my issue. It's forced membership. I've been forced to join a group that I don't agree with.

So get a job in a school that doesn't require a union, like Joe suggested.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You've narrowed the scope down tremendously. Why can't she get a job with a private school, or as an adult educator, if she doesn't want to unionize? I know people personally who do both those jobs. She certainly isn't without options.
That argument cuts both ways. The angry public employees in Wisconsin can always find a job in a union shop in Milwaukee if they want a union wiuth bargaining rights (if there are any left). So by your logic their argument has no merit either.

Cyclo wrote:
Laughing I don't have to force others to do so. The herd enforces its' own rules. Teachers are required to unionize in CA to work in public schools because the vast majority of teachers WANT that to be the way it is.

I disagree with your description of me completely. Defining 'those who disagree with you' as 'being against freedom itself' is a poor way to forward an argument and it isn't compelling to anyone.

Teachers are required to join unions in California because the law has given them a monopoly on employment. If the state were to pass a right to work law I'll bet (1) you would oppose it vehemently; and (2) a very large nimber of teachers would voluntarily quit the union. THAT is freedom of association !

I didn't "define" you as being opposed to freedom at all. I merely pointed out the meaning and consequences of your own words. There is nothing intrinsically deficient about the truth as a form of argumentaation.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
They WISH they had a union to represent them. Don't you understand that by now? They all wish they had representation. Right now they have nothing and the district is literally cowering in fear of what will happen when the real hammer comes down later this year.
Quote:

They could always move to a state that supports teacher unions.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 01:31 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

They could always move to a state that supports teacher unions.

The entire workforce of the school district? I guess so, but who is going to continue to teach the kids who need schoolin' back in Texas? Laughing

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:52 pm
Quote:
Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne filed a civil complaint Wednesday alleging legislative leaders violated the state's open meetings law last week when a special committee adopted a bill curbing collective bargaining for most public workers.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/118101169.html

Quote:
Ozanne is asking a Dane County Circuit Court to void the new law because of the committee action. He also wants the four Republicans on the committee fined $300 each for knowingly violating the state's open meetings law.

In the short term, Ozanne is seeking to enjoin Secretary of State Doug La Follette from publishing the law, which would put it into effect.
La Follette has said, unless ordered otherwise, he will publish it March 25, and it will become law the next day.

Ozanne's complaint said the case cannot be resolved by then because lawmakers are exempt from civil process during the legislative session.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:57 pm
Quote:
Jeff Skiles, the co-pilot in the famous "Miracle on the Hudson" landing in January 2009, has been involved in the budget protests that engulfed Madison in recent weeks.

On Tuesday, he took another big step, choosing to withdraw what he said was hundreds of thousands of dollars of his own money from M&I Bank to protest the actions of bank executives there who backed Gov. Scott Walker.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/118085079.html
georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:10 pm
@parados,
That's it. The Governor is doomed ! Hundreds of thousands in a retail bank checking or savings account, and just an airline copilot. One has to wonder about his investment acumen as a minimum.