Wis. GOP strips public workers' bargaining rights

Lash

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 04:00 pm
@Fido,
An incorrect and self-serving attempt at metaphor... I contribute materially, and with my time and sincere effort. I'm committed to several important social issues. Just because I hate mandatory union compliance doesn't feed your inane little scenario, doofus.
parados

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 04:55 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Really? Zipping that check out to Uncle Sam without a pesky long form to declare exemptions?
How quaint.. You want me to pay more than others? That is precisely the point I was trying to make Lash and you made it rather well. You prefer that others pay more than their fair share so you can pay less it seems.

Quote:

I've paid PLENTY into the system, volunteered and donated, asshole. I like contributing to society. I chafe like all hell under extortion, however.
Why is it extortion if you get the benefits? You get the benefit of living in California and working as a teacher there. Why should it come free to you when others pay for it?

Quote:

"It is indeed probable that more harm and misery have been caused by men determined to use coercion to stamp out a moral evil than by men intent on doing evil." - Friedrich A. Hayek
You consider unions evil, You want to stamp them out. It is a rather fitting quote, don't you think?
parados

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 04:55 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

"This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs: when he first appears he is a protector." - Plato, c. 400 B.C.

Thanks for protecting us from unions Lash...

I bet you have a million of those and they will all apply.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 05:17 pm
@parados,
You obviously need to create some tortured lie rather than argue against my desire not to be forced into a union. Let unions weaken or strengthen based on workers' free will decision to join or not to join. Why do you want to force people to join unions? Rep, huh...

I only want to pay for what I choose to be part of.

I pay taxes to live here. State taxes and ungodly sales tax. I paid tuition and for all manner of testing for my right to be a teacher. I earned it my goddamn self: The union didn't get me here and they don't deserve my money. It's no less a shakedown than the protection racket that comes around every month.

parados

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 07:30 pm
@Lash,
Damn those unions that forced you to become a teacher in California.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 07:32 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I paid tuition and for all manner of testing for my right to be a teacher. I earned it my goddamn self: The union didn't get me here and they don't deserve my money.

You were forced to get an education to become a teacher. How is that different from the union? I can't become a teacher if I simply join the union. The state will require that I meet certain requirements. Is that not a shakedown by the state that I would be forced to go to school and spend my money to become a teacher?
roger

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:04 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

You were forced to get an education to become a teacher. How is that different from the union? I can't become a teacher if I simply join the union. The state will require that I meet certain requirements. Is that not a shakedown by the state that I would be forced to go to school and spend my money to become a teacher?

Maybe the union did nothing to enhance her qualifications? Now, if California is not a right to work state, you might say they made it possible for her to work there, if passing the union obstruction to employment counts as making it possible. The world is full of people who's value lies in getting out of the way.
Lash

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:35 pm
@parados,
Quote:
You were forced to get an education to become a teacher.

Even you have to feel like an idiot to follow this ridiculous tack. I had to become qualified to teach. I owe unions nothing.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:45 pm
@Lash,
You dont recognize irony?
roger

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:59 pm
@RABEL222,
That must apply to me as I have no slightest idea what you are talking about. Do you?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:37 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The 'free rider' issue is controversial

Only for free riders.
parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:59 am
@roger,
Being union is a requirement to teach in California just like having an education is a requirement. I'll bet Lash has to pay for continuing education to keep her skills up to date.

She is fine with paying for some of the requirements but not with others. The world doesn't work that way. You don't get to avoid rules you don't like just because you don't like them. More on that later.
parados

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:02 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Quote:

Even you have to feel like an idiot to follow this ridiculous tack. I had to become qualified to teach. I owe unions nothing.

You owe them your job Lash. Without the union you could not teach in California. You might wish you didn't have to join them but you can also wish you didn't have to pay for schooling as well. But wishing makes neither requirement go away.

Do you think Corporations should be allowed to opt out of paying taxes if they wish? Certainly,it is the corporation that spends the money to build the products they produce. Government doesn't do anything for the corporation so why can't they just opt out? There's nothing wrong with being a free loader, correct?
gungasnake

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:53 am
@parados,
Quote:
You owe them your job Lash. Without the union you could not teach in California.

You're saying it would not be possible... Some law of physics which would prevent her from conducting a class in California without the union existing??

What about schools in California in the 1800s before they had such unions?? How did that work???
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:01 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Quote:

BULL ****. You owe them a great deal, and are incredibly ungrateful. I'm actually shocked by your attitude here. Pretty much everything that relates to your level of pay and workplace safety, your 5-day a week job and your ability to even complain at all about anything that goes wrong at work - you owe to unions.

I guess it's pretty obvious you're not a history teacher, Lash. Because you don't seem to know **** about how things got to be the way they are in this country. It would be like me saying, 'I owe the military nothing. After all, they've never saved MY life or done anything for me at all.' It ignores all historical context.

Cycloptichorn
gungasnake

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:04 am
Wisconsin now no longer subject to union/insurance coercion:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/117911244.html

Quote:

In freeing school boards from bargaining with employees over anything but inflation-capped wage increases, Wisconsin lawmakers might have opened the floodgates for districts seeking to drop coverage by the state's dominant - and highly controversial - health insurance provider for teachers.

WEA Trust, the nonprofit company started 40 years ago by the state's largest teachers union, currently insures employees in about two-thirds of Wisconsin school districts. The company's market dominance has dropped in recent years, although not as much as some school officials who complain about the company's costs would like.

After switching the district's nonunion employees to a different health insurance carrier, Cedarburg School Board President Kevin Kennedy said his school system is likely to look at cost savings by doing the same for its unionized teachers after unsuccessful attempts in previous years.

"It's such a large-ticket item; it's such low-hanging fruit," he said. "You can lay off an aide or increase your student fees, but that doesn't make up such a magnitude of saving as insurance does."

The survival of WEA Trust's health insurance corporation will depend on its ability to compete with other providers that have more pricing flexibility and a greater range of services, said Dale Thoma, managing partner for insurance broker Willis of Wisconsin Inc. Until now, the insurer was negotiated into contracts by adamant union leaders.

"They're going to have to compete in a different, more wide-open arena," he said. "That's what other insurers deal with, and their ability to respond to that and just compete, I guess, will ultimately determine their position in the market."

Because WEA Trust is named as the carrier in so many school district contracts, it has been largely shielded from such competition in the past, said Andy Serio, a group health insurance consultant.

"There literally is no competition if you're named in the collective bargaining agreement, so that would be the most dramatic effect on WEA," he said. "Because clearly, if you're in a collective bargaining agreement, you're in."

At the beginning of this fiscal year, last July 1, the Brown Deer School District began using a different carrier after years with WEA Trust. The district saved $170,000 in just one year - the equivalent of at least two teachers.

But Steve Lyons, director of public affairs for WEA Trust, said the company is named in only one-third of the school district contracts where it provides health insurance. And of those, in about one-third of contracts it is named as the "standard-bearer," meaning that districts can switch to other carriers if they can find substantially similar plans at lower costs, he said.

That shows, he said, that the company did not have an unfair advantage, as some critics have contended, based on the company's ties to the Wisconsin Education Association Council.

"What happens at the local level is, in the past, prior to the budget, is the local school boards would bargain with the local union and they would come to a consensus and often they chose us," Lyons said.

"We're very competitive in pricing and have been and continue to be."

Lyons also said in an e-mail that the insurer returns 93 cents out of every health care premium dollar back to the districts in health care coverage, while "some of our for-profit competitors keep more than 20 cents out of every dollar."

But Emily Koczela, director of finance for the Brown Deer School District and a former Shorewood School Board member, said the company regularly resorts to methods other than competitive pricing to keep its business.

Earlier this year, the Brown Deer district's teachers union filed a complaint with the Wisconsin Employment Relations Commission over the district's decision to switch from WEA Trust. Koczela suspects the move was aimed at protecting the insurance company rather than the employees' benefits, which she said remained the same with the lower-cost carrier.

"They don't know how to compete," she said. "Their way of competing to get my business back is to sue me. That's not how you get business back."

She said she expected the company will encounter a similar reaction from other business managers who have had difficulty in dropping the company in the past, even when they thought they had a contractual right.

"They've provided good service to the teachers, but they haven't provided good service to the people in the business office who sign their contracts," Koczela said.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:14 am
Death threats to Wisconsin Republicans...

Seen mostly in alternative media lately:

http://themoderatevoice.com/103432/death-threats-against-wisconsin-republicans/

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2011/03/13/abc-cbs-msnbc-nbc-and-npr-ignore-death-threats-wisconsin-republicans

Quote:

ABC, CBS, MSNBC, NBC and NPR Ignore Death Threats to Wisconsin Republicans
By Noel Sheppard | March 13, 2011 | 11:54

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2011/03/13/abc-cbs-msnbc-nbc-and-npr-ignore-death-threats-wisconsin-republicans#ixzz1GaSTOGXP

Quote:
BILL O'REILLY: But first, death threats in Wisconsin and that is the subject of this evening's "Talking Points" memo. The attorney general's office in that state investigating a number of death threats against some Republicans who voted to diminish union power.

A radio station obtained this email, quote: "Please put your things in order because you will be killed and your families will be killed due to your actions I the last 8 weeks. Please explain to them that this is because if we get rid of you and your families then it will save the rights of 300,000 people and also be able to close the deficit that you have created. I hope you have a good time in hell," unquote. Wisconsin authorities are taking this stuff seriously. They have a suspect, has not been charged as far as we know.

Not taking this seriously were ABC, CBS, MSNBC, NBC, and NPR. LexisNexis and closed-caption dump searches of "Wisconsin and 'death threat'" produced zero results for these so-called news outlets throughout the month of March.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2011/03/13/abc-cbs-msnbc-nbc-and-npr-ignore-death-threats-wisconsin-republicans#ixzz1GaSz8WDT

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:16 am
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/117738098.html

Quote:

Madison -- The state's Division of Criminal Investigation is investigating death threats against the lives of some Republican senators, inlcuding email threats against Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald and Sen. Dan Kapanke.

Fitzgerald received at least one death threat in the wake of Wednesday’s vote to repeal most collective bargaining by public employees, his spokesman, Andrew Wellhouse, told the Journal Sentinel.

And an aide for Kapanke said the La Crosse senator received a disturbing email threatening his life last night. Capitol Police and La Crosse police were immediately notified.

Bill Cosh, a spokesman for the state Department of Justice, told the Associated Press Thursday that the department's criminal investigation division is looking into threats against GOP senators from several sources.

Welhouse Thursday provided to the Journal Sentinel a copy of the text of one e-mail he said was sent on Wednesday night but would not provide the email address or name of the sender. He said the email was turned over to Capitol Police, who are investigating it.

“We have received several more threats over the past few weeks as well, and protesters have actually gone so far as to go up to (Fitzgerald's) house and bang on the windows at 6 a.m. demanding that he come out,” Welhouse said.

Tim Donovan, a spokesman for the Department of Administration and Capitol Police, had no immediate comment Thursday morning.

Here’s an excerpt of the email provided by Welhouse:

“This is how it's going to happen: I as well as many others know where you and your family live, it's a matter of public records. We have all planned to assault (sic) you by arriving at your house and putting a nice little bullet in your head. However, this isn't enough. We also have decided that this may not be enough to send the message. So we have built several bombs that we have placed in various locations around the areas in which we know that you frequent…"

The threat against Kapanke stated:

"We will hunt you down. We will slit your throats. We will drink your blood. I will have your decapitated head on a pike in the Madison town square. This is your last warning."

0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:10 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

An incorrect and self-serving attempt at metaphor... I contribute materially, and with my time and sincere effort. I'm committed to several important social issues. Just because I hate mandatory union compliance doesn't feed your inane little scenario, doofus.
You mispelled dog, but here is a hint: It does begin with a d...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:37 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Quote:
Really; and you think the Vietnamese could ever have killed and maimed so many of us if we had not given them the opportunity??? What of the North Koreans???

You said the "Communists" couldn't have - now, you've amended to "Vietnamese." Quite a difference.

Quote:
We get some damned theory in our heads about dominoes and apply it to world politics and economics... What is the cost;

What cost is the domino theory? You seem to be devolving into some word salad, Fido. Seems like an emotional rant. Gather your thoughts and make them coherent, please.

Quote:
They say: Communism is good in theory but terrible in reality.... Since all people every where have survived some form of communism and we have all come out of it, the opposite must be true, that is is terrible in theory, because it succeeded well in reality; but recreated out of an ideal, it has been a failure, and still as a failure, in many respects successful...

Who is "they"? Again, I think you are in a really small group of people who think Communism "succeeded well in reality"... Ask a Russian or a former resident of the USSR what they think of the brand of Communism they lived under. I have. Those of us who thought it was a living hell were correct. I haven't had one person to say differently. Something happens to the human spirit when you are stripped of personal rights. I feel comfortable guessing that the vast majority of people would choose the strictures of Capitalism to those of Communism. Neither is perfect - but one is a great deal better than the other, imo.

I don't mind that you don't agree.

You are a perfect example of how people use their labels to objectify others, dehumanize them, and justify doing violence to them all through their choice of words...

There were some communists in Vietnam, but Ho Chi Minh for an example was smart enough to realize that it was just a form of relationship, and not nearly so strong a relationship as a shared culture and nationality... He also saw the injury hard core communist from China did to Vietnam, and their economy after the French were driven out... Now, I want you to look at the fact... Ho and the Vietnamese made their case for independence at the Versailles peace conference, and no less than the Arabs for that matter; and we stood back and watched... Ho also spent nearly an entire lifetime on the run, much of it is England and France, the very countries that would have killed him if they could have caught him... It is safe to say, that just as in the Art of War, That he understood us far better than we understood him... And, He had the advantage of understanding his own people, their needs, and their determination for freedom...

Part of the problem with your thinking is that you confuse the issues... And our government does no less; only they do so on purpose... We hated the Taliban, but attacked Afghanistan... We hated Saddam, but attacked Iraq... And while we use the excuse of how many of his own he killed; we killed far more of his people than he did... We did the same after WWI with the Germans, and while I could admit that the German army was guilty of many outrages, injustices, and crimes against the civilian populations they controlled, they also lied to their own people, and bled their whole people when the people were long powerless to control their leaders, or the army... And to hold the whole people responsible, and to not force the army to take responsibility and surrender and disbane doomed the civil government of Weimar...

But if the shoe were on the other foot, how would you like it if our president commited international crimes, and others held this whole people responsible??? Isn't that what 911 was about??? Isn't that why we took such offense at the enemies of America, and did nothing to hold the president who let it happen responsible??? We were sleep walking, and instead of blaming the president we took it out on a lot of innocent people who were as powerless in their own lives as we are in ours...And think of the cost, of the destruction of our economy trying to pretend we are something we are not on borrowed money... We have lost far more lives in having our revenge than the attack cost us in people, and we have taken far more lives than we have lost for revenge... So what you say, that the Vietnamese were communist, and that some how justifies our killing them; then let me ask: How many children do you know who are communists??? How many uneducated people do you know who are communists???

Communism is a form of economy and a form of relationship; but Ho Chi Minh was correct to point out that in Vietnam, the usul situation was reversed.... He was supporting a materialistic view of reality while the West, which is the most materialistic was fighting for spiritual views and values like individual freedom, and religious freedom... And as usual, we were punishing a whole people for what we considered the crimes of a few; and this is not just...