What do you buy (or would not buy) at the Dollar Store?

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 11:04 am
On the radio, a DJ commented how recently he went into the Dollar Store to bide some time. He decided to purchase some car fresheners. Upon going back to his car, he opened them up to discover they smelled only of cardboard - no air freshening going on there. To be obnoxious, he went back in to return them only to discover that they had pregnancy tests.

Now that brought up the question, would you buy a pregnancy test at the Dollar Store? What would or would you not buy there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 26 • Views: 7,113 • Replies: 70
No top replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 11:08 am
@Linkat,
I would not buy perfume for my wife at a dollar store. She would kill me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 11:09 am
I wouldn't buy most things which require craftsmanship--clothing, footwear, tools, etc. But there are many things which one can purchase at the dollar store (or the Bulk Barn, now a Canadian institution) which are as good as name brands, or which one might even prefer. For example, at the Bulk Barn, we buy popcorn and corn chips. The white popcorn is superior to any you can get at the store, and many stores don't even sell white popcorn. Personally, i prefer their corn chips to the name brands, including Fritos.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 11:28 am
Pregnancy Tests!!!???

I wouldn't buy food there, but I have bought a bunch of Pears Soap. I bought about 25 bars when I saw them.

Let's see....I bought some gardening gloves, dish towels I had to use for specific project, and were going to get really messed up.
Anything like that for which I have a need for something that quality doesn't matter.

I bought a hat for a toddler there, like a funny sun hat. I've bought other stuff there for little kids, something they might play with or get a kick out of for a couple of hours.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 11:48 am
@Linkat,
what do I buy at the $ store

1. eyeglass repair kits with the mini-screws and screwdrivers
2. cleaning stuff like Lysol
3. disposable mops and mop heads
4. foil burner liners
5. air sponges

other things on occasion but those are the main things that would send me off to the $ store

I got some very good photo printer paper there once - haven't looked for it since

what wouldn't I buy at the $ store

any food product made in China

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:04 pm
@ehBeth,
So you'd buy the pregnancy kit (assuming of course it isn't made in China)?
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:05 pm
@chai2,
I almost want to look for the pregnancy test and take it just to see the results.

Imagine my 90 year old grandmother taking the test - "A miracle! I'm pregnant, haven't had sex or a period in 35 years!"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:05 pm
@Linkat,
If I was looking for a pregnancy test anywhere, everyone else would be looking for Set's corpse.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:09 pm
@chai2,
OK, I had to look it up and yep they sell em

http://www.dollartree.com/assets/product_images/styles/alternate_large/148088.jpg

And its gotten great reviews....http://www.dollartree.com/health-personal-care/feminine-hygiene/Pregnancy-Tests-One-Step/211c252c252p7347/index.pro
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:09 pm
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:15 pm
@Linkat,
I suggest one shouldn't buy contraceptives and condoms from a dollar store either.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Don't like a little risk in your life, heh..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:40 pm
I get the store brand of cat litter from Family Dollar. Why would anyone want to pay from three to six dollars for a bag of pressed clay when they can have the same thing for one dollar? Cats don't care, and do you have any idea what they do with the stuff?

While there, I will pick up pine oil if I need it, and sometimes paper goods. I wouldn't touch their clothing or children's toys. They look pretty junky.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 01:03 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
To be obnoxious, he went back in to return them only to discover that they had pregnancy tests.

Were they shaped like little pine trees? I think he got a deal, those car things smell like nasty chemicals.

I buy things like shelf paper, clothes pins, gift wrap bags, note pads, general office supplies (not pens, they are always crap), wash cloths that make great rags (I don't buy paper towels) and the occasional hair band. The only food I ever bought was a package of mints or mixed nuts, but I think the food stuff is safe and probably just a bulk deal or closeouts.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 01:14 pm
@Green Witch,
The gift bags are a good deal - I'll also buy things like for a kids party - table cloth, plates, crepe paper, and sometimes coloring books - I bought paper 100s bills (100 of them) and taped them to my daughter's shirt for 100 day at school.

Crap like that.
Irishk

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 01:23 pm
The dollar store drain cleaner is as good or better than the expensive stuff. I have to hide it from Mr.Irish since he thinks it's bad for the pipes/environment. My entire stash of gift bags/gift wrap is from there, plus the tissue paper. I usually go in for one thing and come out with an arm load.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 01:26 pm
I would never buy a pregnancy test at the Dollar Store. (Then again what the hell would I do with a pregnancy test???) What I DO buy, for a buck, are these small cloth cases. They hold my various electronic chargers, makeup, etc. I also get Palmolive soap there, which I can't get at the super market.Wrapping paper and gift bags are a great buy.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 01:31 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Great idea - cloth bags for holding that stuff.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 01:40 pm
I once bought a one dollar DVD that had two wilderness adventure movies. One of the movies was actually pretty good.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 02:10 pm
We buy greeting cards there.