What do you buy (or would not buy) at the Dollar Store?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 02:11 pm
costume jewelry for our dance group's performances - they have great cheap bling once in a while

gel pens - the little 5 packs of irridescent gel glitter pens are great for writing on gift cards and envelopes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 02:12 pm
Cheap canny . . . don't forget the canny . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 02:24 pm
@Linkat,
I've only shopped there once. I have most stuff I need except for routine groceries, and have a long subdued love of junk stores, as I call them, which lends a dangerous aspect to my entering a Dollar Store. I used to shop at Pic & Save in Santa Monica, and still have some treasures from there, like some mixing bowls from italy that I've had around fifteen years now. (Neat, they're yellow with many small green dots (outside, white interior), something like 79 cents each at the time. However, their price range went from, say, 39 cents to a few dollars.

I did find a few treasures when I went into the dollar store at my closest shopping mall-ette. A can of minestrone soup* that I used to fancy back when I ate canned soups, and some decent crackers (u.s. origin), a couple of oven mitts that have worn well. On the other hand, just last year they were closed to clean out a mouse infestation... though I can sympathize with that, having had mice in my last house once in a while. 'Cept I think at least some new mexican mice carry hanta virus.

* http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TKBKF21DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 02:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Just deer mice with hanta virus, or so I've heard. They do like old sheds and garages, though.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 02:39 pm
@roger,
Yeh, I think I looked them up and dismissed them re my neighborhood. (I haven't seen deer here yet, but I don't get around a lot.)

Tangent warning - as non proud possessor of years of garden and decor magazines, I switched to collaging pages of old mags for wrapping paper - scotch tape collage - that was really fun, and I could collage to fit any gift receiver's interests. No one else's gifts looked quite like mine, since besides the collaged magazine stuff, I'd use buttons, old earring singles, ribbons, curled wood scrapings, odd hardware store products, or more torn paper for the "bows". I got rid of all those magazines (mostly, except for a few of one very good mag, which folded and those are probably worth money galore), but that coincided with my giving less gifts as I age.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 02:58 pm
I would buy a pregnancy test there.
Absolutely. Its just an off brand. Same kind you find in the grocery store. No difference except that I would not have to pay over ten dollars for it, and I could buy more than one to double check.

BUT, I know I can also go to planned parenthood for a cheap if not free test too. Guess what they use? Donated products.
Hmm.. donated .. vs off brand.. hmmmm..

Sorry. I dont see an issue as to WHERE the knock off brand comes from. Its still a knock off..( generic or what ever you want to call it )
Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 03:08 pm
I had a friend who bought all her sex toys there... it's amazing what you can find if you've got a dirty mind. Shocked Wink
I buy wrapping paper and gift bags, ribbons, acrylic paint and the like. I buy cheese cloth there because I can't find it anywhere else.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 03:12 pm
@shewolfnm,
Well the car freshener had no scent to it - that is my concern. You get what you pay for.

I also can call my Dr and she would send a lab request in and the prego test would not cost me anything.
chai2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 03:54 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Quote:
To be obnoxious, he went back in to return them only to discover that they had pregnancy tests.

Were they shaped like little pine trees?

uh, green witch, I don't think pregnancy tests are shaped like pine trees.

sheesh.

This woman in front of me at the $ store was buying mops. She was moving out of her apartment and was cleaning it now that it was completely empty. She wanted to be able to use it and toss it. Not like if you have a really good mop, and now you have to schlep it to the new place, after cleaning up the old place.

I wouldn't buy food there not because it might be older, but because it's stuff I wouldn't eat anyway.
Chemicals, sugar, salt, etc. I can't say I'm a health nut, but a try to avoid such things.

Oh, I bought a book there once. It really sucked.

I haven't tried cleaning products, since I use many vinegar, water and baking soda. For handwashing dishes, I will only use Palmolive, as a tribute to my Grandmother. Do they sell Palmolive at the $ store?

I went into an Odd Lots once. Wow, they have some really weird stuff in there, and more than a dollar even.
They were selling some obviously unsuccessful color of Nutrisse (hair color). I have no idea how to describe this one particular color. It was just soooo horrible.
chai2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 03:56 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

I would buy a pregnancy test there.
Absolutely. Its just an off brand. Same kind you find in the grocery store. No difference except that I would not have to pay over ten dollars for it, and I could buy more than one to double check.

BUT, I know I can also go to planned parenthood for a cheap if not free test too. Guess what they use? Donated products.
Hmm.. donated .. vs off brand.. hmmmm..

Sorry. I dont see an issue as to WHERE the knock off brand comes from. Its still a knock off..( generic or what ever you want to call it )

Well sure you'd buy them there. You proably need them in bulk.

slut.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 06:51 pm
@McGentrix,
I agree with McGentrix (I don't know if I've ever said that before!) Greeting cards are 50 cents at Dollar General. It's also a great place for gag gifts.
Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 07:28 pm
@Linkat,
I don't think I've been to one, but I'd assume it's where you'd buy dollars?
roger

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 07:33 pm
@Eorl,
Not exactly, but they do accept them in trade.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 09:51 pm
I bought a $10 zip up fleece there a couple years ago, I like it better than my $35 one. I hit the candy and cracker aisle every now n then.
I don't think I'd buy pitons and climbing ropes there, or pregnancy tests.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 10:56 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Green Witch wrote:

Quote:
To be obnoxious, he went back in to return them only to discover that they had pregnancy tests.

sheesh.

Do I have to illustrate everything around here?
http://www.schwimmerlegal.com/pine-tree-car-air-freshener.gif
Rockhead

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 11:10 pm
@Green Witch,
what happens when you're pregnant?

the needles fall off and it turns brown?
Irishk

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 12:09 am
@Rockhead,
You begin to smell like a small pine tree.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 06:58 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Green Witch wrote:

Quote:

sheesh.

Do I have to illustrate everything around here?
http://www.schwimmerlegal.com/pine-tree-car-air-freshener.gif

Now how is THAT supposed to tell you if you're pregnant?
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 09:05 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Now how is THAT supposed to tell you if you're pregnant?

ergonomic design

it is meant to tickle the babies feet so you can feel it jump.
Fool proof method.
.99 cents a package..
Green Witch

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 09:49 am
If a woman sniffs it and pukes she is pregnant. That's why it was a problem that they had no scent.
0 Replies