I try to support small business over chains

jcboy

Sun 20 Feb, 2022 09:48 am
Like restaurants and other small businesses. Lately I’ve had to order our pet foods online through Chewy because every time I go into the local family owned Pet Store they are always out of the brand of dog food I buy. The lady told me they are having a hard time getting it in and whey they do get a shipment they only receive half of what they order.

jespah

Sun 20 Feb, 2022 01:06 pm
@jcboy,
There's definitely stuff we get from Amazon because the local places aren't getting it (supply chain, I suspect). I would much rather pay locals; they put that $ back in our community.
jcboy

Sun 20 Feb, 2022 01:21 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I would much rather pay locals; they put that $ back in our community.

Same here, you know our dog, cat food and parrot food, treats and toys are cheaper through Chewy but I'd still rather pay a couple dollars more at the local store if they had what I needed.
Mame

Sun 20 Feb, 2022 01:33 pm
@jcboy,
We have a year 'round, fairly small Farmer's Market a few blocks from us that I frequently shop at. The farmers are local and the products are free range and organic. It costs more, but we are eating less as we age, so it costs about the same.

I order organic meats from a local farmer online and they deliver once a week. They have better prices on some things than the supermarkets. For example, they sell whole free-range 5-6 lbs chickens (no GMO, hormones, etc) for $23 CDN. And if you buy 5, you only pay $18/chicken. Safeway was charging up to $21 for a 1.5 - 2 lb one! Also, their eggs are fresh - no runny whites and really orange yolks.

No delivery costs with the market and I can walk there.
hightor

Sun 20 Feb, 2022 02:39 pm
I'm almost two hours away from any well-stocked brick-and-mortar stores, so I make a fair amount of online purchases. But I no longer order anything through Amazon. My last Amazon purchase was Feb 26, 2021. It might take me a minute or two longer to find what I want. Boycott Bezos!
jcboy

Mon 21 Feb, 2022 01:23 pm
@Mame,
I’ve noticed the prices in the supermarkets around here have gone way up! $24.99 a lb for filet mignon! Sometimes I’ll see it on sale for $16.99 a lb then I’ll buy a few.

There are five of us and you can’t get out of the store for under $200.00 bucks each visit. And we go often because I like to buy fresh meat and not freeze it.
Mame

Mon 21 Feb, 2022 01:26 pm
@hightor,
Yeah, I'm with you on Bezos! Wow, 2 hours away? You must live in the boonies.
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 21 Feb, 2022 01:35 pm
@jcboy,
I know, it's crazy.
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 21 Feb, 2022 02:43 pm
I try to buy local as well, but unfortunately, supporting local is a privilege. I remember a bunch of family going off on the new Wal Mart that moved into my Mom's small Alabama town until my sister-in-law mentioned that Wal Mart is the only reason their budget closed. For a lot of people, those chain stores with their poor service and lower prices are a necessity.
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 21 Feb, 2022 03:10 pm
@jcboy,
1. When I travel somewhere on vacation, I always look for the restaurants
that the (locals) love to eat at.

2. I try to find restaurants that are popular with the (locals).

3. Especially if it's a restaurant that I never heard of or not familiar with.
0 Replies