0
   

As a visual artist, which is better - color inkjet all-in-one or a color laser all-in-one printer?

 
 
Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2021 07:41 pm
As a visual artist, what type of printer is better, especially in the long run - a color inkjet all-in-one or a color laser all-in-one?

I was doing research on this - some sources say inkjet, others say laser.

Please let me know. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,488 • Replies: 19
No top replies

 
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 12:57 pm
@JGoldman10,
I thought you wanted to work in animation. Why are you obsessed with printing anything out? Everything animation these days is locked in the digital realm.

Removing this one unnecessary step ... is one less obstacle that you can remove from your equation towards this goal.
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 09:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
I want to scan artwork into my laptop from my printer and showcase the artwork online.

People still use digital ink and paint and scan drawings into 2D animation programs.

I want to produce animation and comics.
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 04:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you’re creating the artwork as the author, isn’t it already on your computer in the digital realm? So why would you need a printer or scanner to do what you have created again? Aren’t you already able to use editing software to create your own artwork or comics? You really make my head hurt!

Or is it that you want to copy someone else’s work and scan it into your computer? That’d be plagiarism. Pretty convoluted.

Secondly, aren’t you the guy who just had a printer that you scrapped that you didn’t know how to change the cartridges on? That was in your post a few months ago! wasn’t it?

Lastly, to answer the question you asked, I’ve been a photographer for more than 40 years and I use an inkjet as and have for decades. Most
photographers and visual artists use inkjet printers. You do realize that cartridges, particularly color, are quite expensive and have to e changed often.

With little income, how will you afford keeping it maintained? Printers need calibration and can and will dry out if you don’t use them and have to be replaced .
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 06:41 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I want to scan artwork into my laptop from my printer and showcase the artwork online.

People still use digital ink and paint and scan drawings into 2D animation programs.

I want to produce animation and comics.

FFS?! You don't need ink for scanning. How in the HELL do you NOT know that?! I'm sure I mentioned that a few dozen times over countless threads.

You just need a bloody scanner. Scanners don't use ink. They literally never have used ink.
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 02:22 am
@Ragman,
That's NOT what I said. I need a scanner to scan artwork into my laptop. Using a scanner is a LOT easier than snapping pics of your work with a smartphone and then emailing the pics to yourself and then uploading them to your laptop. It's a pain in the butt using the second method. You have to figure out how to set up and take pics without getting shadows on your work and there is too many other steps involved.

If you have a scanner you don't have to worry about all this.
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 02:23 am
@tsarstepan,
I need an all-in-one color laser printer for OTHER PURPOSES BESIDES SCANNING.

I need to copy, print and fax stuff.
0 Replies
 
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 03:56 am
@JGoldman10,
Your reading comprehension seems to be severely lacking. Why are you explaining how a scanner works to me or how you would use one? You do not need one to create your own art. Only to copy it or someone else’s. Your response is irrelavent. It’s rather frustrating trying to explain things to a person that either can’t or won’t understand.

There is no ink used in a scanner
.

Once again, if your creating animation then you have no need for a printer. Unless you’re creating your own book.

Furthermore, I still fail to see why you would need to use a scanner when you’re creating animation using a graphics editing program.

As you have filed to read or understand my suggestion, I’ll repeat it: if you’re interest is not office printing, an INKJET printer is more suitable for your needs not a laser printer.

Lastly, using an all-in-one printer, scanner, fax costs money initially and on on a regular basis due to maintenance and supplying with expensive color inks. You’ve said many times how you have little income. Why add to your debt?

The purchase of whatever device you might get would be several hundred dollars initially as well as $30 + each color cartridge each time your replace them. Aren’t you the guy who just were saying you had trouble knowing how to replace cartridges on your last printer?
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 04:34 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Your reading comprehension seems to be severely lacking. Why are you explaining how a scanner works to me or how you would use one? You do not need one to create your own art. Only to copy it or someone else’s. Your response is irrelevant. It’s rather frustrating trying to explain things to a person that either can’t or won’t understand.

There is no ink used in a scanner.


Right, uh-huh, I'm the one with bad reading skills. Sure. Are you daft, or retarded? I KNOW THIS. DID YOU NOT SEE THE POST I LEFT FOR TSARSTEPAN?:

JGoldman10 wrote:

I need an all-in-one color laser printer for OTHER PURPOSES BESIDES SCANNING.

I need to copy, print and fax stuff.


Ragman wrote:

Once again, if your creating animation then you have no need for a printer. Unless you’re creating your own book.


I am creating animation AND comics and other forms of visual art. I said I want to scan ARTWORK INTO MY LAPTOP THAT I CAN SHOWCASE ONLINE. You know- things like CHARACTER STILLS, COMIC PANELS, CHARACTER STUDIES, ETC. I ALSO WANT TO PRINT AND COPY THINGS AND SEND FAXES; THINGS THAT ARE NOT NECCESSARILY ART-RELATED LIKE RESUMES AND BUSINESS FORMS AND I.D. AND SUCH - THIS IS WHY I NEED AN ALL-IN-ONE.

Ragman wrote:

Furthermore, I still fail to see why you would need to use a scanner when you’re creating animation using a graphics editing program.


READ THE PREVIOUS STATEMENTS.

Ragman wrote:

As you have filed to read or understand my suggestion, I’ll repeat it: if you’re interest is not office printing, an INKJET printer is more suitable for your needs not a laser printer.


Are you a visual artist? Are you saying an inkjet printer is BETTER if you're a visual artist?

INKJET PRINTERS ARE TOO PROBLEMATIC. I HAVE LEARNED THIS DEALING WITH THE PRINTER I HAVE.

I AM CONVINCED LASER PRINTERS ARE BETTER IN THE LONG RUN.

Ragman wrote:

Lastly, using an all-in-one printer, scanner, fax costs money initially and on on a regular basis due to maintenance and supplying with expensive color inks. You’ve said many times how you have little income. Why add to your debt?

The purchase of whatever device you might get would be several hundred dollars initially as well as $30 + each color cartridge each time your replace them. Aren’t you the guy who just were saying you had trouble knowing how to replace cartridges on your last printer?


I HAD AN ISSUE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE CARTRIDGES OUT. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO GET THEM OUT, THANK YOU.

From https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/inkjet-vs-laser-printers-which-is-better-for-home-use-176198:

"Price-by-price comparisons favor laser printers over inkjet printers for documents that aren’t graphically complex. Although they’re more expensive, laser toner cartridges print more sheets relative to their cost than inkjet cartridges and are less wasteful."

I DO NOT RECALL HOW MANY TIMES I BOUGHT INK CARTRIDGES FOR MY INKJET COLOR ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER, AND HOW MANY TIMES INK FROM INKJET CARTRIDGES I BOUGHT WAS WASTED BUT IT WAS NUMEROUS.
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 04:43 am
@Ragman,
Don't try to insult my intelligence.
Ragman
 
  2  
Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 04:56 am
@JGoldman10,
You have none to insult. You cannot or refuse to comprehend. You believe what you want and then you get angry like a school child when you think your endless posts are not being read but then fail to read others. You do this all of the time. You ask questions just to ask them and then shift the question when you’re found out to being talking nonsense.

Your advice or research you claimed to have done on inkjet vs laser printers is misguided.you don’t listen to experience visual artists so any further effort towards that end is wasted.

You didn’t initially state exactly what your needs were for a device but added them after you posted in later posts. You make it impossible to answer as you shift the vague initial question around later on with later posts.

Your have limited financial resources and will flail about to invest into a device that will drain your resources initially and on a regular basis and get you no closer to making money at your career. Good luck and
don’t follow anyone’s advice.

An employment counselor May advice you best. But understandable that Successful Job Offers don’t come from sending out resumes blindly. If you want to get hired, it’s more productive to with a bona fide employment counselor. These days sending resumes out blindly leads nowhere and wastes time and money.
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 05:36 am
@Ragman,
I have a 170 IQ. It's NOT MY FAULT YOU COULDN'T GRASP WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT YOU HYPOCRITE. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY READING COMPREHENSION SKILLS.
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 05:37 am
@Ragman,
DO NOT CONCERN YOURSELF WITH MY FINANCES. THAT IS NOT YOUR BUSINESS OR CONCERN.

ARE YOU A VISUAL ARTIST?

I DO NOT POST QUESTIONS "JUST TO ASK THEM". I WAS SERIOUS WHEN I STARTED THIS THREAD.
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 06:25 am
@Ragman,
I want to get a laser color all-in-one inkjet printer I can afford. As of the time of the posting of this I expressed interest in the one a certain vender on Ebay is selling.

I also need a voice over mic and some other stuff to set up a sound studio.

I need to get a transcription food pedal but I have to find my transcription headphones.
0 Replies
 
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2021 07:16 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

ARE YOU A VISUAL ARTIST?

As I stated several times in my response tour query, I’ve been a photographer (professional) for many decades (as well as a desktop publisher as it states in my profile). As. you demonstrate repeatedly, either you don’t read replies or your comprehension is lacking.

I’m done responding here. It’s not worth my time to continue.
JGoldman10
 
  0  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2021 01:33 am
@Ragman,
I posted the topic question thrice on Yahoo! Answers and these were the answers I was given:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20210217011943AAMXnmh :

"You’ll probably get greater accuracy in terms of colour with an inkjet. But...as a visual artist you may not want that. A laser copier, (I’ve often thought about this myself) will give you a different, unrealistic, maybe more amped output. It really depends on how you want to use it. Whether it’s for artistic purposes or more mundane tasks. Also the running costs overall maybe a lot less."

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20210217011900AA96sln :

"Color printers, whether ink jet or laser, all use similar color ink printing technology. the laser models are more complex but save on black only printing because they use cheaper per page laser toner for that. more complex usually means they break down sooner -- in my experience."

"The main advantage of the laser printer is speed. The main disadvantage is flexibility in terms of print media.

Inkjet may be slower but it has been adapted to more types of inks that will suit more different kinds of media. We're not only talking about the plethora of paper types but also other printable surfaces. That's why large format printers, those that can do tarpaulins for billboards and buses, are all inkjet."

"A laser printer is far faster and cheaper to run in the long term.

But, they are not quite as good for photographic type printing as injets or dye sublimation printers.

You can print on glazed paper like magazine covers with a laser printer, but not actual photo-style gel surface paper.

But neither do A4 photos cost £1 or more per page, as they easily can with some inkjets.

More like 5p to 15p for a full colour A4 page with a laser printer.

Which is most suitable probably depend on the type of art you are doing?

Line art or work with different areas of single colours should be fine with a laser printer.

Things that have smooth changes of shade or colour and need to look like photos would likely come out better on an inkjet with photo paper, or a dye sub.

It's partly the close-up surface finish; inkjet ink soaks in, while laser toner is fused to the surface.

At a distance you would likely not be able to tell the difference but it's noticeable if handling photos printed from each type; the surface reflectivity and texture are different.

Also, if you only going to use normal paper rather than specialist types, you will get better results with a laser printer; an inkjet cannot use the higher quality photo modes except on special gel surface paper, as normal stuff would be soaked with ink and disintegrate...

Sublimation printers are the ultimate for image work, but no good for conventional letters etc., just art or photography. They are also expensive to run, typically over £1 per page for A4 no matter what you print.

I gave up on inkjets years ago & never looked back - the laser printer has a fraction of the running cost and does not "dry up" if not used for a week.

But I'm not an artist & not generally bothered about printing ultimate-quality photos."

So the general consensus here is laser printers are better.

A few acquaintances of mine were telling me a Canon color imageCLASS MF641CW all-in-one printer was being sold on Walmart.com for $200 but that offer expired apparently. Yes, this is a laser printer.

Assuming it was being sold on Walmart.com with free shipping and/or free delivery its cost was a lot cheaper than the cost of a printer I expressed an interesting in buying off of Ebay. The vender wants to sell me his HP Color LaserJet CM1312NFI All-In-One Laser Printer for 240$. that includes all 4-color, large ink refills for the printer. With shipping and handling it would cost $374.45.
JGoldman10
 
  0  
Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2021 12:51 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I posted the topic question thrice on Yahoo! Answers and these were the answers I was given:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20210217011943AAMXnmh :

"You’ll probably get greater accuracy in terms of colour with an inkjet. But...as a visual artist you may not want that. A laser copier, (I’ve often thought about this myself) will give you a different, unrealistic, maybe more amped output. It really depends on how you want to use it. Whether it’s for artistic purposes or more mundane tasks. Also the running costs overall maybe a lot less."

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20210217011900AA96sln :

"Color printers, whether ink jet or laser, all use similar color ink printing technology. the laser models are more complex but save on black only printing because they use cheaper per page laser toner for that. more complex usually means they break down sooner -- in my experience."

"The main advantage of the laser printer is speed. The main disadvantage is flexibility in terms of print media.

Inkjet may be slower but it has been adapted to more types of inks that will suit more different kinds of media. We're not only talking about the plethora of paper types but also other printable surfaces. That's why large format printers, those that can do tarpaulins for billboards and buses, are all inkjet."

"A laser printer is far faster and cheaper to run in the long term.

But, they are not quite as good for photographic type printing as injets or dye sublimation printers.

You can print on glazed paper like magazine covers with a laser printer, but not actual photo-style gel surface paper.

But neither do A4 photos cost £1 or more per page, as they easily can with some inkjets.

More like 5p to 15p for a full colour A4 page with a laser printer.

Which is most suitable probably depend on the type of art you are doing?

Line art or work with different areas of single colours should be fine with a laser printer.

Things that have smooth changes of shade or colour and need to look like photos would likely come out better on an inkjet with photo paper, or a dye sub.

It's partly the close-up surface finish; inkjet ink soaks in, while laser toner is fused to the surface.

At a distance you would likely not be able to tell the difference but it's noticeable if handling photos printed from each type; the surface reflectivity and texture are different.

Also, if you only going to use normal paper rather than specialist types, you will get better results with a laser printer; an inkjet cannot use the higher quality photo modes except on special gel surface paper, as normal stuff would be soaked with ink and disintegrate...

Sublimation printers are the ultimate for image work, but no good for conventional letters etc., just art or photography. They are also expensive to run, typically over £1 per page for A4 no matter what you print.

I gave up on inkjets years ago & never looked back - the laser printer has a fraction of the running cost and does not "dry up" if not used for a week.

But I'm not an artist & not generally bothered about printing ultimate-quality photos."

From https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20210316095112AALKJ4T :

"Whether the printer is laser or inkjet will make no difference for scanning or faxing. Those features do not use the printheads. So what you have for a print head does not matter.

Laser printers will give you better quality printouts then inkjet. The individual toners for a laser printer cost more up front. But they usually last many times longer than the tiny cartridges in the inkjets. Over the long haul they are a lot cheaper. You just have to bite the bullet and put out more money up front.

Also laser printers are designed for higher volume printing and for business and commercial use. Inkjets are cheap throw away printers designed for home use. While the laser printer will (once gain) cost you more upfront, it will 10 times longer and give you better quality printouts."

"The color laser uses toner to make black, the color inkjet uses ink. otherwise, they are the same multi-color ink technology. if you print a lot of black, the laser device is cheaper in the long run."

"There are 2 things where an inkjet beats a laser. 1) high res photos come out better on an inkjet (cartoons are not high res) and 2) inkjets are usually smaller and give off less heat than lasers. Other than that, lasers are better in:

printing faster and sharper

having cheaper consumables - a $20 laser cartridge lasts for about 3000 pages

using dry toner which doesn't evaporate and clog like ink

lasting longer. it is not uncommon to see a 20 year old laser still in use. it is rare for an inkjet to last more than a few years.

read this article for more details: https://bestinkandtoner.com/best-printer-deals "

So the general consensus here is laser printers are better.

A few acquaintances of mine were telling me a Canon color imageCLASS MF641CW all-in-one printer was being sold on Walmart.com for $200 but that offer expired apparently. Yes, this is a laser printer.

Assuming it was being sold on Walmart.com with free shipping and/or free delivery its cost was a lot cheaper than the cost of a printer I expressed an interesting in buying off of Ebay. The vender wants to sell me his HP Color LaserJet CM1312NFI All-In-One Laser Printer for 240$. that includes all 4-color, large ink refills for the printer. With shipping and handling it would cost $374.45.



- FIXED. I must have been half-asleep when I made the last post to this thread. I neglected to include a link to the the third question: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20210316095112AALKJ4T
and post the answers that were given to it.

Still, the general consensus is laser printers are better than inkjet ones.
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  0  
Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2021 01:06 am
Epson, unfortunately, does not make laser printers anymore and those EcoTank printers they make are meant for business use.

I am still shopping around for a laser color all-in-one printer.

I found a color laser all-in-one printer on Amazon which I added to my wish list and is under $200.

I am hoping that vendor I met on Ebay a while ago whose color laser all-in-one printer I expressed an interest in can come down further on the price of his machine.

I need a machine that can copy, print, fax and scan.

Buying inkjet cartridges I have learned is a BIG RIPOFF. Maintaining an inkjet printer is too much trouble anyway.

I don't recall how many times I bought inkjet cartridges for the printer I had that turned out to be faulty; a number of them leaked. I think that is a ploy to get people to spend more money on inkjet cartridges. I don't have money and ink to waste.

Toner cartridges for a laser printer will LAST A GOOD LONG TIME.

Maybe I can find a good cheap color laser all-in-one printer on Craigslist.
0 Replies
 
ablevhong88
 
  -2  
Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2021 07:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Both are awesome!!!
JGoldman10
 
  0  
Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2021 02:12 am
@ablevhong88,
Keeping up with inkjet cartridges is a pain in the butt. Maintaining inkjet printers are not worth it.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » As a visual artist, which is better - color inkjet all-in-one or a color laser all-in-one printer?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 07/30/2021 at 05:07:23