What do you buy (or would not buy) at the Dollar Store?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 02:10 pm
@djjd62,
are those the perforated bags?

(sheesh, respond to djjd and I want to type - are those the perverted bags)
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 02:46 pm
@djjd62,
Going to Dollarama tomorrow to pick up tortilla chips (made in Canada from domestic and imported ingredients -- imported ingredients from the USA according to the bag) and throat lozenges (USA made). I've picked up dishwashing gloves and grip liner. The College Guy bought cheap jewelry last year for the cubic zirconia when he was learning to set faceted stones. If something goes flying never to be seen again you don't want it to be a diamond (as has happened to one of his classmates).
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 02:47 pm
@ehBeth,
He might be talking about the green bags. I got mine at a liquidation place -- didn't know the dollar stores had them.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 03:01 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
Tai Chi turned us on to the veggie bags (keeps stuff fresher longer,and seem to work, i can by a bag of salad and it stays pretty decent for about a week, as opposed to about two days in the bag they come in), the brand we get at Dollarama is $2 for 20 bags (10 each of 2 different sizes), most retail places have 10 bags for $5 and more

I bought those bags for $10 elsewhere and felt they were a waste of money. They did not work to prolong the freshness of strawberries or bananas, at all, and they were no better than putting bagged salad into a regular zip-top bag to keep it fresh longer.

I'm glad you have better luck with them, and get them at a better price than I paid.
djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 03:54 pm
@ehBeth,
not perforated, they're called green bags, they seem to work well for bagged salad, cut peppers, i haven't tried them with fruit too much, but did keep some scrub apples my uncle brought from his cooler (he has a small orchard) a lot longer and fresher than i have before by using them
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 05:28 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

What do you buy (or would not buy) at the Dollar Store?

Depends on which dollar store.

If it was Droolarama (Dollarama), absolutely nothing, as the buggers didn't keep me on as regular staff when the store opened.

The store where I used to work at, gets whatever business they always had from me, as always.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 06:48 pm
@firefly,
I use the green bags for my bananas. Wally and I like them just a certain way, and it keeps them at that point.

Did you put a couple of paper towels in the bag, along with the produce?

Ya gotta put a couple of paper towels in there too.
firefly

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:09 pm
@chai2,
No, I didn't put any paper towels in the bag with the fruit or salad, chai. I didn't know you needed to do that.

I think I may have 1 or 2 of the bags left and I'll try doing that.

Thanks for the tip.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:15 pm
@chai2,
Sigh, that was advice Noddy made to me, back when. I still find it useful, and I still involute my fridge bags once a day, my own behavior.

Magical refrigerator maneuvers..
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 10:38 am
@ehBeth,
lolz
0 Replies

xrisxs

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:26 am
If my wife tells me to go buy her SUPPLIES I got to the dollar store. But I will never buy peanut butter from there again. Killed every sandwich I made.
0 Replies