The lowly shopping cart - and other stuff

chai2

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 09:43 am
This video may be kind of long, and sometimes boring (I scanned through some of it), but it made me think about inconveniences I've run into.

There's so many different carts out there, all slightly different.

However, there is something that the hand baskets almost all have in common, that I hate. It would be suck an easy fix.

WHY do they have the handles for the hand basket oriented the way they are? Your hand naturally goes in one direction, and the handles in another. This forces you in crowds to be shifiting your handbasket to the front of your body, or else bashing into people.

This is stupid...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTVC6Hz9qms8wiMzUr9rYxZQjlzcwX9geVXq4dnJOtS2CFyVEL

This is right...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoVLnYozSnpK2XOkpuXkTKs49GL-x-L5Y3-ZBbpp7946TPzC65SA

Apparantly it is rocket science.

chai2

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 09:48 am
Other stuff.

I love my HE washer, but every time I unload it, I wonder how someone shorter than me, older with limited motion, or disabled could handle it. It's top loading.

I'm 5'2" and I have to stand on my toes to reach down to the bottom of the washer to get socks, underwear and other small items. I spin the drum of the washer around to get to the items on the far side. Someone shorter, with less flexibility, or any other issue would have to get a step stool, or one of those grabber devices to get the clothes out.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 10:13 am
@chai2,
Just out of interest, are the majority of washine machines top loaders in the USA?

They're pretty rare here.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 10:15 am
@chai2,
"One of those grabbing devices"

One of these?

My Mum used to have those back in the old days, along with a black and white telly.

http://gateway.ntpl.org.uk/hppa-zooms/00000000383/cms_kilh2421.bro
jespah

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 10:53 am
@chai2,
I know what you mean about the top loader washer. On days when my knee is complaining, it can sometimes be tricky to balance the right way to get the last socks out.
chai2

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 11:19 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Just out of interest, are the majority of washine machines top loaders in the USA?

They're pretty rare here.

Yes, most are top loading.

While I wouldn't say rare, front loading a less common.
chai2

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 11:26 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

"One of those grabbing devices"

One of these?

My Mum used to have those back in the old days, along with a black and white telly.

http://gateway.ntpl.org.uk/hppa-zooms/00000000383/cms_kilh2421.bro

Above my washer and dryer are cabinets, holding all the sundries.
On top of the cabinets I store bulky items like toilet paper, paper towels. I have an old mop handle I use (minus the mop) I use to knock down half a dozen rolls of TP, when I need to replenish my personal facilities stash.

Wally tried to throw my mop handle out once. He didn't realize it was the lynchpin to my ability to relax and take a decent crap.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 11:59 am
One successful industrial design can turn the person who designed it into a millionaire.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 12:03 pm
I think Chai just needs to wear high heels.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 12:42 pm
@chai2,
It depends where you live I guess. Out here in crazy California, we have more and more front loaders - I always had front loaders.

That video was great, by the way! I love that shopping cart too and some of the ideas - like self scanning - would save so much time. I love it!!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 02:32 pm
@jespah,
I just spent a half hour or more demolishing the lid of a fairly large glass jar of pickled pepperoncini. No wonder they were on sale. I'd previously struggled but finally got a similar jar by that company open by one of my three tried and true methods when a simple hand grab won't do it: a) grab the rubber glove and go for it; b) moderately gently direct the jar top to the counter top to affect the vacuum level in jar, open or then try the rubber glove again; c) carefully aim sturdy object at the side of the jar lid, open.

This time, nah. So I started with the hammer and a small phillips screw driver, making holes in the lid. Then, a larger phillips. Then I resorted to a small wire cutter, and then a larger one. Managed not to get any metal tossed into the peppers and vinegar. Moved the peppers into other containers. Bah, humbug.

My hands are less strong than they used to be, but so are a lot of other peoples.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 02:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
"like self scanning - would save so much time. I love it!!"

Do you not have self scanning over there, cj?

Sainsburys introduced it here at least ten years ago, and we use it all of the time. Tesco has just started it in a nearby store, so everyone will be doing it soon.

The latest is where you order your shopping on your smartphone (whilst on the way home on the train for instance) and go and pick it up. Home deliveries work much the same, and are brilliant for the boring tinned and packet goods, saving you all that carrying when you go shopping.
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 03:51 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I use the self scanner almost every time I go shopping. The only problem is when you have coupons -- you can use them -- just there always seems to be a problem with just one of those suckers and someone has to come over to help.

It still saves you time though -- and where I shop -- they will give you extra bonus savings on certain items when you use the self scanner.

For the front vs top loading washers --- I looked at the front loading ones as they are supposed to use much less water -- they are also significantly more expensive at least a few years ago when I was in the market for a new washer. So I opted for the one where you need to reach for us shorties.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 03:53 pm
@Lordyaswas,
As a general rule, front-loaders will take a bigger load than top-loaders. Hence, they tend to be more expensive. Hence, they are less popular in most jurisdictions.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 03:55 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Self scanning is great - when it works. But the machine keeps barking out instructions and orders - not so good when it's failed to read a barcode, the queue is held up, and you have a large pile of groceries waiting to be bagged.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Self_checkout_using_NCR_Fastlane_machines.jpg
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 04:00 pm
@vonny,
I absolutely and categorically refuse to ever use any self checkout self-scanning lanes in a store. It's just a way to automate cashiers out of their jobs. Those people need their jobs. I don't mind standing in line just a bit longer to assure that I'm not helping to disenfranchise them.
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 04:03 pm
@vonny,
The self scanner I use - if a hand held one -- you scan it as you shop and then immediately put your items in your grocery bag. For things that require weighing - you go to one of several scales, weigh your item and then print out a tag that can be scanned.

I rarely have an issue with an item not scanning -- it is those damn coupons when you check out.

After you are done shopping you go to a register that is self scanning and you scan your scanner and then your shopping card -- it pulls everything up and then you can scan any coupons. You then pay and leave.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 04:11 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Oh yes, we do have self scanners, but I meant the one they have directly on the cart (like in the video) . You take the merchandise from the shelf, scan it and put it in your bag - that's it! You would have maybe at the entrance/exit a clerk checking your receipt if you scanned everything and then you're on your way out. That would eliminate all cashiers, long lines and tons of time spent standing in line.
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 04:18 pm
@CalamityJane,
The one I use -- no one checks your receipt -- although at random there may be an audit --- happened to me a few times. When you check out it tells you to wait for assistance -- a worker then comes over and will randomly scan items in your cart to make sure you are not stealing.

Once an item did not ring in when I was being audited - seems I bought several of the same item and instead of ringing each separately I scanned one of the items 3 times - so the kicker is - you are really supposed to ring each separate item.

Here is a link to the store's website and the self scanner use:

http://stopandshop.com/shopping/shopping-tools/scanit/
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 04:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

That would eliminate all cashiers, long lines and tons of time spent standing in line.

Except, of course, the long lines at the unemployment office where the cashiers would now be standing. It is an insidious trend and I refuse to participate in any way at all.